Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Consensus on dashboard rattle of MK4 Yaris

Campblor

I've had my MK4 Yaris Since December last year, driving great, love the MPG and tech in it. However recently I have noticed a growing amount of plastic rattling from the passenger side. I've done the usual of checking for junk in the glove box or doorpockets it's hard to pinpoint as only happens when going 30-40 on the UKs awful road surfaces. 

How is the trim sounding in yours? I figure it's normal for such a light as possible car with more economic interior materials. 

A few dashboard rattles. You only have the first six months of warranty to get them resolved. I am now outside six months!

51 minutes ago, W1P30UT said:

A few dashboard rattles. You only have the first six months of warranty to get them resolved. I am now outside six months!

Oh bugger so am I. I'll give them a call anyway I suppose, see what they say. 

No dash rattles for me, but I think there are some wires in the doors that haven't been secured properly as I also get knocking at similar speeds sometimes when I first had the car, and it's definitely something hitting the doorcard as if I squeeze the doorcard it stops.

Ironically, driving through the pothole-ridden hellscape of London seems to have jumbled/dislodged whatever is loose and gotten it stuck as the rattling as gone away! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Mines like one of those Caribbean drum bands just out of reach on the passenger side.  I’ve had the dash right out and its packed with foam and bubble wrap.  Still rattles incessantly!  

IMG_3677.JPG

• Like 2

Traditionally, the most common source of rattles in a Yaris is the speaker grilles, might be worth a poke? I'd be surprised if it was the dash rattling as everything's held together fairly tightly with clips and the plastic they use is more likely to squeak than rattle.

Are you running Dashcam wiring? Looking at that gave me deja vu for when I did mine :laugh: 

• Like 1

Seems the front left speaker grille on the JBL version...there's a plastic sensor (I believe) which seems to rise up. Poke it down silence for a while. My 2015 auris had same sensor/plastic blob. On that I removed glivebox, rammed a microfibre tile against it from underneath and it improved it dramatically. 

As the mk4 is the missus' car and she isn't bothered (she carries so much rattly crap around anyway) I'm not going to bother....I'll just focus on the trim rattles on my corolla 🙃

• Like 2

The Dashcam wiring has been double triple checked.  It’s now that secure you could lift the car off the ground with it.  It sounds like it’s the plastic tube to the vent resonating but the trouble is anchorwoman is the original Miss Daisy and she drives too steady so it won’t do it while I’m sitting there.    There are also rattles around the media screen one of which I can stop by applying a little downward pressure and one well inside there keeps teasing.  I’m changing to the Cross when Macron sanctions it’s production so Liza Tarbuck on BBC Sounds  tends to be the go to fix for now.  

Looks like my earlier suspicions re the component quality/fit and build of the latest Yaris, in favour of bling and toys, are being confirmed.:whistling1:

Eight years now and tight as a drum.

I have a Yaris cross and I noticed a rattle noise and traced it to the camera at the top of the windscreen. It was the plastic housing around it and I just lightly wedged a tiny piece of folded paper and no rattle anymore. Hopefully this might help some people out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

There are also rattles around the media screen one of which I can stop by applying a little downward pressure.

That is where mine rattles. 

Rattles in ours are normally lipsticks, loose shoes, sunglasses or perfume bottles scattered around. Not mine I may add. 😬

• Haha 6

Nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. When I took it in for the first service and I mentioned this to them they said it was being caused by my chili water bottle in the glove box. I only put it in there when I got to the service centre!

Does drive me mad lol. Do have the 9 speaker JBL system and you can even hear the rattle when the Speakers hit s certain frequency on the front left mentioned this to them and they  just assumed It meant the Speakers were rattling and they turned down the bass but it happens when I'm not listing to anything. 

I also have a Gap in my dashboard which they need to look at which could be the cause. 

9mm Tesa cloth tape works wonders, it stops the plastic to plastic contact

• Like 1

Are these Yaris rattles and general build quality issues being reported about on European Toyota forums?

Well they all come out of European factories (hybrid) for the European market

I did used to get really bad rattles on the driver side, but think i hit a pothole and when i had my car serviced i had them rebalance and realign the tyre's which made it go away, however it did eventually come back, so i just pushed the right side of the dashboard forward where the vent is  and that has fixed it for me. 

Left(passenger) side is proving more troublesome to solve.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Well they all come out of European factories (hybrid) for the European market

I know that but I was wondering if left hand drive Yaris where having the same issues reported.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

I know that but I was wondering if left hand drive Yaris where having the same issues reported.

I hang out here, so not exactly what you are looking for, but yes, I have the dash rattle too.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:37 AM, Campblor said:

I've had my MK4 Yaris Since December last year, driving great, love the MPG and tech in it. However recently I have noticed a growing amount of plastic rattling from the passenger side. I've done the usual of checking for junk in the glove box or doorpockets it's hard to pinpoint as only happens when going 30-40 on the UKs awful road surfaces. 

How is the trim sounding in yours? I figure it's normal for such a light as possible car with more economic interior materials. 

I have a rattle drivers side, especially in cold weather driving at slow speed on rough road surface, it stops if I put my fingers in the moveable air vent.

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I hang out here, so not exactly what you are looking for, but yes, I have the dash rattle too.

That proves it's a build quality issue then.

I must have the only properly-built Mk4!! :laugh: 

Mine is all sorted.  The rattle on the left was the bottom of the A pillar trim.  That could be me as I had it out to fit the dash cam.   I’ve also cured the media bezel by packing a bit of foam in.  It’s now quiet as the grave.  

• Like 3