Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris MK3 1.5 (2017-20) - Manual or CVT Auto?

I'm thinking of getting a late non-hybrid MK3 Yaris with the 1.5 petrol engine. I'm considering an auto transmission and was wondering if it's worth going for one with the CVT gearbox. I've driven a Yaris/Echo with a 4-speed auto box but not a CVT. Are the CVT's reliable and are there any issues I should be aware of when considering one?

In the UK, the automatic option for a non-hybrid Yaris of this vintage is CVT only.

CVT's are fine, they need a filter and fluid change around 60-100k miles to keep them tip-top condition

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of CVTs but I'd take the Toyota CVT over the Toyota MMT any day of the week!!!

• Like 1

Best auto is no doubt the Toyota hybrid, their latest cvt’s fitted to non hybrid cars are fine but nowhere near the unique eCVT transmission found in their hybrids range. If it’s me I will buy either hybrid or manual over any other type of automatics. 

• Like 1

Same here!

• Like 1

Being a tad unfair about the 1.5 non hybrid C,V,T, I have owned one for nearly three years and it is a smooth reliable gearbox, I have also driven the wonderous Hybrid and could not tell any difference in the performance of the gearbox. 1.33, if you can find a 1.5 C.V.T go for it. They are fast,economical ,reliable cars.

• Thanks 1

That's sortof the crux - I don't see the point of the CVT when the hybrid is equal to or better in almost every way. The main advantage of the CVT is the upfront cost is a decent chunk less, but that gets eroded over time by the fuel savings of the hybrid.

I'm not saying it's bad (It's a damned lot better than the MMT as autoboxes go!), but I just feel it's a bit redundant in the lineup.

It is quite impressive tho' - CVTs have had a reputation for being a bit unreliable and failing catastrophically (Mainly thanks to e.g. Nissan in more recent times), but the Toyota ones have been pretty bullet-proof - I don't think I've heard of a single person post about a major failure in one in the time I've been on this forum!

well the cvt is much better than the Jatco cvt's what are in Nissan's (Renault) - i have see/read about cvt's giving problems in larger Toyota's but usually up in the miles without the fluid being changed

I see my first EV learner car the other week, then a few Corsa e's have been doing the rounds with L or P plates on them

• Like 1

I have only ever seen one CVT major problem, on a Hilux abused to death, no service history, very high miles. It also had a million other abuse related issues, but in general I would say they are very good indeed 

• Like 2

We recently sold an 18 plate 1.5L auto CVT. It felt a solid car and were getting around 46mpg, albeit, around town. 

I much prefer auto’s now over manual cars, but now we have a Mk4, the difference is chalk and cheese. I didn’t like the MK3 auto or manual that much tbh, but that doesn’t make it a bad car. 

• Like 2

I have no problems driving mine, 1.33l Multidrive (CVT). It just gets on with it!

Excellent fuel economy, circa 50m.p.g.+/- consistently with a mix of driving. Town/rural/fast A roads and dual carriageways.

They do take a bit of getting used to, e.g. it often gives the impression of a slipping clutch in a manual transmission, i.e. quite an increase in engine r.p.m. giving the impression that nothing is happening on the speed front! Whether it's changed, there is also a "manual" ratio shift by either using paddles on the steering column or the selector lever itself. Never used that, I have had no need only to make sure it still functions. The old eco light goes out in "manual" mode too, computer knows best. There's a "sport" button on mine. :rolleyes::laugh:

Of course the so-called motoring experts will poo poo it for some reason. They probably compare it to a manual BMW M class etc..

2 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

I have no problems driving mine, 1.33l Multidrive (CVT). It just gets on with it!

Excellent fuel economy, circa 50m.p.g.+/- consistently with a mix of driving. Town/rural/fast A roads and dual carriageways.

They do take a bit of getting used to, e.g. it often gives the impression of a slipping clutch in a manual transmission, i.e. quite an increase in engine r.p.m. giving the impression that nothing is happening on the speed front! Whether it's changed, there is also a "manual" ratio shift by either using paddles on the steering column or the selector lever itself. Never used that, I have had no need only to make sure it still functions. The old eco light goes out in "manual" mode too, computer knows best. There's a "sport" button on mine. :rolleyes::laugh:

Of course the so-called motoring experts will poo poo it for some reason. They probably compare it to a manual BMW M class etc..

In Toyota hybrids this slipping clutch feel can be eliminated with harder pushing of the accelerator. Since the eCVT is electronically controlled the e motor can help and reduce that engine high rpm without direct torque delivery. The MG1 will provide lock up like function and the car will accelerate progressively and in unison with the engine rpm, if you have a god Battery charge you will also feel a nice push into the seat. You can try same trick in non hybrid cvt since they are also electronically controlled they may have similar functionality although not as noticeable as hybrids because there are no electric motors to help. 👍

I kinda understand as if you're an enthusiast and have a strong mechanical sympathy for cars, normal CVTs feel really awful, as does anything that puts more barriers between the driver and the car.

It's like the hydraulic vs electric steering thing - Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even prefer the electric steering as it usually feels smoother and more consistent, but my first 3 cars had hydraulic and when I first drove with the Mk2's EPAS I understood why the more snobby car enthusiasts pooh-pooh it over hydraulic as you loose a lot of road feel, but if you'd only ever used EPAS or gotten used to it you wouldn't even notice. The Mk2 had really smooth nice steering feel, but it was all one-way - Very little of the subtle feedback I had before was transmitted back up the wheel. The Mk4 is even worse for that, but the ridiculously stiff chassis kinda makes up for it, as I now have a slight understand what this driving by the seat of your pants thing people talk about is all about :laugh: 

On 6/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, mrpj1 said:

poo poo it

Not adding the "h"s was intentional!:whistling1:

Not long after buying mine, I started going up a very long steep hill and made the mistake of not giving it enough beans just before the ascent. I honestly thought it was going to stall part way up. The engine was not a happy bunny at all until I did push hard on the accelerator. Simlar sensation to the MMT changing UP part way up the incline. :rolleyes:That was when I first experienced the "slipping clutch" phenomenon!

Does the hybrid have a speed limiter? The 2017-20 non-hybrid 1.5s have a speed limiter button on the steering wheel but the hybrid doesn't have the same button layout.