Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric socket flap................

Lawnmowerman

55 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

William.....how is that flap holding up? Any worse?

Seems crazy that what looks like a a couple of minor parts could take so long. They can't blame semiconductor shortages for this.

Not any worse thankfully - just a PITA every time you close it (which is everyday 😀).

Looking on the bright side, my wheels haven't fallen off 🤣.

Production comes first you may have to weight for the next production batch your order will be added to that.

Thats Life im-afraid.

12 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Production comes first you may have to weight for the next production batch your order will be added to that.

Thats Life im-afraid.

Understand that, but aftermarket parts are critical too (unless they are happy with vehicles, in some cases, potentially off the road for extended periods) and 4 months is TTP ☹️

Aftermarket parts not avaible for a model still on a production run unless its compatable to a model over 5 years old or its oil

9 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Aftermarket parts not avaible for a model still on a production run unless its compatable to a model over 5 years old or its oil

Scratch the word Aftermarket and replace with Spare. The issue still stands, 4 months for a spare part for a current production car is crazy, even if it does come from Japan.

Just now, Hayzee said:

Scratch the word Aftermarket and replace with Spare. The issue still stands, 4 months for a spare part for a current production car is crazy, even if it does come from Japan.

Yes it's poor, but there is still a global shortage of everything, staff/raw materials/shipping/covid/war, etc. I am waiting for a clutch, the ETA I have is Oct................2023

Everyone is doing their best, it will turn up, hopefully soon 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ack that sucks, I hope the customer is a more understanding one!!

• Like 1

Mfg still having problems with parts supply as a heat wave accross China has forced goverment to close factorys.

Electric needed for air condition systems grid cannot cope

Its not Just Toyota parts four car manufactures plants plus various other industries have shut for a week or more.

• 1 month later...

@Lawnmowerman @Hayzee Any progress on your replacement flaps?

I held off to the service when I mentioned the issue. They had a quick look and confirmed it wasn't right but asked me to bring it back in so they could dismantle it.

I took it in last week, they spent a good 1.5 hours on it and advised they would need to order a part to replace it. In the meantime, they made it a bit worse by playing with it but at least it's still attached. They phoned me the next day to say Toyota had approved a repair on warranty and they had ordered the parts. Can't fault the service to date. They said they were given an estimate date of 3 weeks for the part then they'll call me to take it back in. I guess I'll have to see on that estimation based on how long you have been waiting, but wondered how it was going?

2 hours ago, nlee said:

@Lawnmowerman @Hayzee 

Any progress on your replacement flaps?

Nigel......whilst my flap is waggly it's not reached floppy status so I haven't asked for a repair yet. William however has been waiting for a couple of months for parts I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nlee said:

@Lawnmowerman @Hayzee Any progress on your replacement flaps?

I held off to the service when I mentioned the issue. They had a quick look and confirmed it wasn't right but asked me to bring it back in so they could dismantle it.

I took it in last week, they spent a good 1.5 hours on it and advised they would need to order a part to replace it. In the meantime, they made it a bit worse by playing with it but at least it's still attached. They phoned me the next day to say Toyota had approved a repair on warranty and they had ordered the parts. Can't fault the service to date. They said they were given an estimate date of 3 weeks for the part then they'll call me to take it back in. I guess I'll have to see on that estimation based on how long you have been waiting, but wondered how it was going?

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Nigel......whilst my flap is waggly it's not reached floppy status so I haven't asked for a repair yet. William however has been waiting for a couple of months for parts I think.

Still waiting.............

Don't know when a waggle becomes a flop though 😂.

Drops about 1/2 inch (yes I'm an Imperial chap). The garage have never opened it up so no worse than when I first drew it to their attention.

They have 1 part (allegedly) - 2nd part due sometime in October.

We'll see 😀.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had a call today from the garage. Other part due in next Thursday which will be 19 weeks since reporting the fault.

Booked in for the Friday (28th October) for a full day - to let the electrics calm down before anyone touches it (?).

Reminds me of the early days of bonded windscreens. We had a new Passat that needed a replacement front screen and our panel beater was very bolshie. He said that as it was raining it couldn't go out that day. Quick read of the manual showed that water speeded up the curing process! Perhaps as the Toyota technicians learn more about PHEV's they will be more confident and less cautious.

Fingers crossed. I'll post on its progress.

It's been a long old wait William, hopefully worth it. It will be interesting to compare the repair with the previous door to see if they have made any improvements to the hinges. Every time I open my charge flap I worry that it's going to take a slight knock and fail, it's just massive and awkward. For Toyota a poor piece of engineering.

• Like 2

Whoop whoop hurrah.

Complete assembly (minus body colour outer flap) has been replaced. This included the electric socket (which surprised me).

Before I entered the dealership I attempted to set a charging schedule via the MyT app - no such luck. Showing as remaining in repair mode. I pointed this out and the workshop tried for about 45 minutes but no success. They say they don't put it into repair mode - but as they carried out a diagnostic check (for reported malfunction of TPMS) it would appear to do that automatically. 

Despite speaking to Toyota (they said) they were unable to change it. I have emailed Toyota for their thoughts.

Difficult to understand why they had to change the socket considering it was the hinge assembly at fault

Its the age we live in just want one part but need to order it compleate and sometimes its part of a sub assembly so not sold separately.

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

Difficult to understand why they had to change the socket considering it was the hinge assembly at fault

8 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its the age we live in just want one part but need to order it compleate and sometimes its part of a sub assembly so not sold separately.

I would go along with Derek's thoughts on this. Assemblies bought in from suppliers are often non-serviceable and so cost less per unit.

14 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Whoop whoop hurrah.

Complete assembly (minus body colour outer flap) has been replaced. This included the electric socket (which surprised me).

Before I entered the dealership I attempted to set a charging schedule via the MyT app - no such luck. Showing as remaining in repair mode. I pointed this out and the workshop tried for about 45 minutes but no success. They say they don't put it into repair mode - but as they carried out a diagnostic check (for reported malfunction of TPMS) it would appear to do that automatically. 

Despite speaking to Toyota (they said) they were unable to change it. I have emailed Toyota for their thoughts.

Wait 24 hours and the car will automatically come out of REPAIR Mode. That's what happened to me at my last service when they did some software OBD upgrades.

Glad you finally got the charge door sorted 

Thanks for the reminder. Mine hasn't been fixed yet and the part was due a couple of weeks ago from the original estimate. I'd forgotten the date had passed but the dealer will be getting chased on Monday.

14 hours ago, ernieb said:

Wait 24 hours and the car will automatically come out of REPAIR Mode. That's what happened to me at my last service when they did some software OBD upgrades.

Glad you finally got the charge door sorted 

Yup, that's what happened when it had its 10,000 mile service.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had the floppy flap replaced today. Good job by Lindop Queensferry, feels so much better. Hope it lasts a bit longer this time!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread.

Noticed this morning that after I removed the charger cable the door flap dropped when I was trying to close it. There is a distinct rattle sound and movement of about 1cm. I guess I’m going to have to call the garage, what a pain…..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ernieb said:

Resurrecting this old thread.

Noticed this morning that after I removed the charger cable the door flap dropped when I was trying to close it. There is a distinct rattle sound and movement of about 1cm. I guess I’m going to have to call the garage, what a pain…..

It's weird. Most things are super robustly well engineered and then some things like the flap feel like something off a cheap Chinese toy from Alibaba.

6 hours ago, Nick72 said:

It's weird. Most things are super robustly well engineered and then some things like the flap feel like something off a cheap Chinese toy from Alibaba.

Agreed, it's also massive in comparison to what size it could have been. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links