Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Road Sign Assist on new vehicles

Andrew56

Seaching this forum reveals past issues with RSA, some of which I have experienced on my new Design, which I collected a couple of weeks ago.  

I accept the sign recognition will not be perfect - and for me this is not the issue.  My intermittent problem is that it frequently beeps and shows the speeding symbol, when I am just over 5/8 of the displayed speed, as if it is interpreting this in kph rather than mph.  I can of course turn the beeps off, but I would like to use this feature.

Although a minor issue I note that when it works correctly, if I set the speed notification threshold  to 5mph it actually beeps when I exceed 3mph - again apparently interpreting this in kph.

Before I report this to the dealer I wondered if anyone else has any insights or has recently experienced this issue?

I'm pretty sure this is a known problem. It's like on startup it thinks you're using Kph so the speed warnings go off early, but after a while it realises you are using Mph and it starts working properly. What triggers this realisation I don't know. I'm hoping it will be fixed at some service update.

• Like 2

All of us Mk4 owners have the same problem, it's not just you - Deffo report it.

It's not critical or even important but it is annoying AF and, like Smart Motorways, is just conditioning us to ignore the signs, which is really bad.

I'm hoping there will be a firmware update but am not aware of one yet...

• Like 3

exactly the same problem on our Cross Excel 

• Like 2

There is a Software update I shan't call it a fix as the issue is a misinterpretation of "seen" signs that make the car think it should be reporting in KMH this is a mandated requirement and cannot be disabled, what has can be done is an improvement to the logic used and to how quickly it will automatically revert to MPH, as a user you can manually switch the issue back by going into meter settings switching to KMH, switch car off, switch back on and revert setting to MPH.

BE-00734T-TME

Subject: TSS 2.5 : Over speed audible and visual notifications revert from mph to kph while driving / every ignition cycle (UK only)

Description of the phenomenon: Some customers may experience and report Over speed Audio & Visual notification revert from mph to kph while driving or sometimes at every ignition cycle. This issue is reported only in UK.

Production change: The following has been changed:
  • Software logic is improved.

• New software will be used on vehicle produced (Below are Production change information)

Yaris were updated from 05/04/2002 production

Yaris Cross were updated from 31/03/2022 production

To get this installed in your car you will need to contact your dealer report and book in for the issue referring to the bulletin ref above can help
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Devon, that's good to know! I'll have to get that done next service and see how it goes!

But are they interpreting the mandate correctly?? It just seems unlikely that Toyota are mandated to NOT allow the driver to *tell* the car the signs are all in MPH via e.g. a menu option, and instead have the system report inaccurate information!

My Yaris hybrid sometimes keeps reminding me of a speed limit after I've driven onto a road with a higher limit, 20 MPH seems to be the most common occurrence.

• Like 1

Yeah it usually won't change until it sees another sign, which is another source of inaccuracy. I really hope the system is vastly improved before they start enabling the mandatory speed limiters... :unsure:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thanks Devon, that's good to know! I'll have to get that done next service and see how it goes!

But are they interpreting the mandate correctly?? It just seems unlikely that Toyota are mandated to NOT allow the driver to *tell* the car the signs are all in MPH via e.g. a menu option, and instead have the system report inaccurate information!

The issue could be easily corrected by stopping the system from being allowed to switch to KPH however the regulations concerning the function state the system must be able to automatically switch when driving onto the continent for example, meaning a misinterpretation or speed limit sign on Continental trucks can trip the car over to KPH

• Like 3

Wait, are these EU regs... or UK regs...? :naughty: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

, as a user you can manually switch the issue back by going into meter settings switching to KMH, switch car off, switch back on and revert setting to MPH.

Thank you - this is very helpful.  In the above text how do you switch to KMH and then back to MPH?  I can only see the ability to switch from MPG to km/L or L/100km.  Is this what is meant?

12 minutes ago, Andrew56 said:

Thank you - this is very helpful.  In the above text how do you switch to KMH and then back to MPH?  I can only see the ability to switch from MPG to km/L or L/100km.  Is this what is meant?

KM/L or L/100km either is fine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah it usually won't change until it sees another sign, which is another source of inaccuracy. I really hope the system is vastly improved before they start enabling the mandatory speed limiters... :unsure:

There is a stretch though a near by village that ties the RSA speed reading in knots.  I have reported this to the council. 

On entry is a traffic calming, a village sign and a 30.  100 yards on are two 30 signs.  On their reverse it is 40.  In other words the speed limit is out of the village, before the calming, is 40 one way but 30 the other. 

Next is a 20 limit for a side road which the RSA picks up.  

Leaving the village is a 50 sign on one side with the other hidden in a tree.  RSA reports 60.

Chaotic. 

• Haha 2

At least you don't have to deal with Smart Motorways on a regular basis - The gantrys will often change randomly and for no reason, and e.g. they'll be run of 60's then out of nowhere one gantry in the middle will randomly be a 40, or suddenly change from 60 to 40, while all the other ones will be 60! I swear they are actually trying to cause more accidents!

For some reason the RSA very often misreads the 60 signs as 80 :laugh: I think the refresh-rate of the gantry signs is giving the RSA camera trouble - To the human eye they seem constant, but I can see in my Dashcam they are on a refresh cycle that my Dashcam also doesn't like!

All in all - a nice to have system, but full of errors. 

I had an newer update added a couple of weeks ago - which they said would be available pretty soon. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

My "best" error... is the RSA interpreting a 30mph sign as 130 !!

Thank goodness it's not attached to cruise control settings

• Haha 3

Drat, beat me by 10mph! My worst was it misreading a 20 as 120! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Interesting, we have the issue of appearing to be speeding at virtually every startup, but when we took the car abroad and converted to Kph we didn't get the problem. I shall speak to our dealer about the fix.

• Like 2

I really like the ford system as fitted to my puma, if you set the limit, the tsr reads the sign and adjust the speed, so in theory it will stay at say 30 mph, until it sees say a 40 mph and it adjusts the limit to this , however, it doesn’t always work, sometimes it doesn’t read the signs at all and sometimes it works faultlessly, you can set it to 10% so it will limit you to 33mph in a 30, as I understand it the Toyota system doesn’t do this, but as long as it gives an audible signal if you exceed the limit, then I guess that’s ok….will they have fixed the kph issue on the 23 Yaris cross?, hopefully mines due in April…

10 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I really like the ford system as fitted to my puma, if you set the limit, the tsr reads the sign and adjust the speed, so in theory it will stay at say 30 mph, until it sees say a 40 mph and it adjusts the limit to this , however, it doesn’t always work, sometimes it doesn’t read the signs at all and sometimes it works faultlessly, you can set it to 10% so it will limit you to 33mph in a 30, as I understand it the Toyota system doesn’t do this, but as long as it gives an audible signal if you exceed the limit, then I guess that’s ok….will they have fixed the kph issue on the 23 Yaris cross?, hopefully mines due in April…

I think mine works (Excel new last week) but to be honest I think it’s a pretty pointless gadget and never use it anyway.  As you said they aren’t dependable and they won’t count in court when they fail to read a sign.  

• Like 1

Same here.  I suppose RSA might come in handy on occasions but I’ve only looked at it a few times out of curiosity.  There is a well established road with clear speed limit signs near me but the RSA on my car doesn’t show any information whatsoever.   

• Like 2

Pointless, gets it wrong as often as it gets it right.

IMO if you are unable to use your eyes and knowledge of the highway code to know what the speed limit is on the road you are on, you shouldn't be on the roads.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

IMO if you are unable to use your eyes and knowledge of the highway code to know what the speed limit is on the road you are on, you shouldn't be on the roads.

Yes, I prefer, and rely on, the old reliable method of a pair of eyes, being aware of surroundings and the ability to know what the prevailing limit is depending on conditions present.

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Harsh. 

Round here the number of poorly maintained signs is legion.  Some stories. 

A cross road sign was twisted; they declined to fix it.  It fell down the pole; they declined to fix it.  It disappeared; they declined to fix it.  I requested they remove the redundant pole; they replaced the sign. 

On an up hill rise were pairs of signs, a cross roads, a speed limit warning, and the speed limit signs.  There was a painted 30 sign on the road.  Several of these signs were hit and twisted and, come summer, hidden in vegetation.  The signs were just visible but very late.  Highways said the vegetation was the responsibility of the land owner.  This overlooked the impracticablity of doing the work on a busy and narrow road. 

Then more temporary speed limits appeared. Some were non compliant; some were knocked flat; there were no works supporting the limits.  They had been put up by Anglian Water.  What do you do a mile down the road with no signage? 

Another A road with a 50 sign picked up by the car camera.  No further signage for more than a mile.  Finally, just before a derestriction sign was a 50.

A village 20 sign read by the camera in a 30 zone.  It had been twisted. 

No, you can't always guess the limits. 

• Like 3

Excellent post Roy! On a local stretch of road, our VW (and the Skoda before that, so likely the same software) picks up a spurious 30 limit from a roadside sign giving directions to an Industrial Estate. All examination of this road sign baffles as to what it's seeing and misinterpreting. Our Yaris X isn't fooled at all by that one, but has had a few 'fails'. Overall though, it's behaving significantly better than other cars we drive/have driven

• Like 4