Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking noise when reversing (yaris mk4 hybrid)

Nixy

Hi I have just noticed that when reversing and only then there is a clunking noise from underneath the car, when pushing the break pedal. Strange. Any similar experiences? 

Brake pads releasing?

It makes this noise every time i apply and release the brake pedal in R. Not in D N or P. I will have Toyota check it out next Wed and report back. 

Could be brake pads or parking brake sticking. Do you park on a slope?

The parking brake has been released. if it was the case it would do it in D too. 

I'd suggest it's a brake pad (but not a broken one) being lifted slightly in the caliper when the brake's applied and dropping back when the brake's released. I've a slight rattle that I can only hear when driving down bumpy roads with the window open. It started after I'd dismantled and cleaned my brakes that turned out to be a pad just moving slightly in the caliper - should've left some dust on, it seems to act as a cushion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nixy said:

The parking brake has been released. if it was the case it would do it in D too. 

That’s why I asked about parking on a slope. 

I will let toyota decide and report back

• Thanks 1

Τhanks Tom. However, I haven't worked on the brakes at all. Hope all will be revealed next Wednesday. 

I had this with my previous two mk3 Yaris'

Not had anything like it with my mk4.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All fixed and free of charge. Toyota just applied a compound to the break assembly so that the pads won't move up and down. It wasn't explained to me as to why this should happen at all but understand this treatment should be part of the yearly service.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you resolved it! :thumbsup:

That's a  pretty weird one tho', never thought brakes pads could shift that much to make such an audible noise!

27 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you resolved it! :thumbsup:

That's a  pretty weird one tho', never thought brakes pads could shift that much to make such an audible noise!

They can do but fixes with grease is even more interesting. They should have metal shims for that reason and no grease. At least it’s all done for now👌

Mine does it.  Sounds a bit like drop links clunking.  Doesn’t do it going forwards so I spend zero time worrying about it.  

• Like 1

Fair enough. But if this noise can be stopped, at no expense to u, why not?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nixy said:

Fair enough. But if this noise can be stopped, at no expense to u, why not?

Well it might Nick but I’m a mechanic by trade and I’ve spent time looking for these things before and even if it sounds conceited I reckon I’ve got as good an analytical mind as most mechanics.  It doesn’t do it forwards and since mine did it when I bought it at less than a thousand miles I’ve got no reason to suspect something is worn.  The car has had no work done on it since new (bought it off my neighbour) and being a Toyota, I’m confident nothing was left loose in production.  While the most likely cause is the pads shifting in the calipers, I must admit it sounds a bit further up the struts or even the top of the drop links.   The suspension settles in the forward direction and gets rearranged or lifted off the loaded position temporarily in the backward direction. It doesn’t do it going forward even over rough ground and I believe it would if it was something to be concerned about.  I suspect that if mine and yours does it, they all do but not everyone will notice it.  It might be that enough complain that Toyota will investigate at which point it will be the subject of a production change and maybe a service mod but from experience that will be “if the customer complains”.  If I was keeping it a long time I’d maybe mention it at a service but I’m certain it’s not dangerous and I certainly can’t be bothered trailing to a dealer especially.   If it bothers you to that extent, don’t let me stop you but I’ll let it play out and see if anything develops.  Now I’ve gone to far more trouble explaining my opinion than I have worrying about it!!!

Thanks for the lengthy reply.As I am not a mechanic like u and I guess most other drivers and not having your experience, I DID worry. After all I don't think I have encountered this type of noise coming from the brakes in the past. Been driving for the best part of 50 years. Anyway I am glad Toyota fix it for me.

• Like 1