Do Not Sell My Personal Information

speaker upgrades Yaris cross GX ice

lightsaber

Hi

I changed my rear OEM Speakers to Rockford Fosgate T1650 Power Series 6.5" 2 Way Coax. The sound quality doesn't seem any better. Any advise  what else to do as front and tweeter Speakers are still OEM i was wondering what to change it to ,as the Rockford i had to customize the fit 

Its is the way Toyota choose to specify their amplification, they amplify the front more than the rear and changing Speakers will do nothing to cure the quieter rears

• Like 1

Stereo systems are setup, so the soundstage is up front, the rears are just for fill - you don't drive from the back seat do you, what you are wanting to do - requires changing all the Speakers and adding an amp - if you have the car on lease or finance you do not own the car, so can not change anything, 2 way coaxial's may actually cause issues as the oem just uses a mid in the rear doors

the base system is 6 Speakers, tweeter and mid in the front with a mid in the rear door, the premium system is only on the top of the range cars as an option (if available in your market) 8 Speakers, super tweeter, tweeter and mid in the door with an amplifier under the front seat (drivers side on a RHD car) and mid's in the rear doors

Cross GX, i take you are in Australia

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/11/2022 at 11:42 PM, lightsaber said:

Hi

I changed my rear OEM SPEAKERS to Rockford Fosgate T1650 Power Series 6.5" 2 Way Coax. The sound quality doesn't seem any better. Any advise  what else to do as front and tweeter speakers are still OEM i was wondering what to change it to ,as the Rockford i had to customize the fit 

Greetings from the other side of the planet 🙂 

I'm also not happy with my wife's new Yaris hybrid sound. In previous cars I never felt the sound was bad, maybe because of loud engine noise. With an hybrid things do change and we hear the tires noise, the lack of sound quality of the Speakers... On the other hand the Mk2 Yaris 1.0 had a good sound (better than the much bigger Corolla Verso 2.2D-4D I drove at that time), maybe because it was small, had tweeters on the A pilar, I'm just guessing.

My Corolla TS had terrible Panasonic paper cone woofers on the 4 doors and 2 tiny tweeters on the dashboard, that were replaced by a pair of coax Focals on the rear and a component pair on the front (Polyglass series). No amp, no sub, just a speaker swap. The difference is huge but I added some sound deadening to the doors too. The front Speakers make more than 80% of the difference and increase in detail and extension, with powerful clean bass and clear highs, no distortion and a loud volume (thanks to Speakers high sensitivity). But the usual rear passengers (my 3 kids) stop complaining about not hearing properly on the back seat.

On the Yaris I'm tempted to replace only the fronts by two coax 2-way. I have some leftovers of deadening material that I can add also.

I have a tighter budget this time but I can manage this options under 100€:

• Hertz DCX 165.3 (Dieci series 6.5") 93dB/W, 60-21kHz (55€)
  • Focal Auditor RCX 165, 91,5dB/W, 60-21kHz (60€)
  • JBL Stage2 624, 91dB/W, 55-20kHz (60€)
  • Pioneer TS-R1750S (3-way), N/A, 36-31kHz (55€)
  • Hertz CX 165 (Cento series 6.5"), 93dB/W, 55-22kHz (95€)

Within this limit one can even found some component system which helps with the imaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the Alpine S-S65? Read some very good reviews but they use a less accurate sensitivity definition (dB/1W instead of dB@2.83V), and with the low power OEM HUD we need high sensitivity Speakers.

You want components up front and mid/full range in the rear sound deadening like silentcoat and backpack amp or tiny amp will make the most of upgraded Speakers without breaking the bank

2 way Components sub 100 euro

Alpine SPG-17CS

Focal Auditor RSE-165

Focal Auditor ASE-165

Rockford Fosgate R165-S Prime

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

You want components up front and mid/full range in the rear sound deadening like silentcoat and backpack amp or tiny amp will make the most of upgraded speakers without breaking the bank

2 way Components sub 100 euro

Alpine SPG-17CS

Focal Auditor RSE-165

Focal Auditor ASE-165

Rockford Fosgate R165-S Prime

A 2 way component would be great but too much of a change to me by this time. I did it on my Corolla but this time I just want a speaker swap and avoid to drill the door panels to install the tweeters. I'll leave the OEM rear speakers: it's a small car and the amp is tuned by the manufacturer in a way that they don't make much difference in the global sound.

Anyway, I'm hesitant between the Focal and the Alpine (I don't find the Rockfords nearby).

Drill ?? Tweeters go in the stock locations, as do the door Speakers

you will change the front soundstage if you use 2 way coaxial's, you still need some rear fill

Sound deadening make a vast difference to the sound and will improve the clarity

i have been playing with car audio for many years, OEM systems are far from perfect, I have done many a setup with an RTA and/or processors and done most types of setups from basic budget upgrades to SPL and SQ systems, in recent years i have moved over to SQ OEM+ systems as cars have become more integrated

The car came only with door Speakers, no A pilar or dashboard Speakers.

Can you PM me your vin, that is really odd

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Can you PM me your vin, that is really odd

It really depends on markets and trim levels. Here in Portugal, only the upper levels come with 6 Speakers.

PM sent 😉

oh i see the comfort and comfort plus are very low spec but it does state "2 colunas de som" what is more inline with the JDM spec cars

the tweeters go in the top of the dash

Ours is the Exclusive, which has 4 Speakers, one on each door.