Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles per gallon

Bitch1001

I’ve been keeping a eye on my petrol usage … I’m only getting average of 46  MPG .. any way I can increase this …

petrol costs are through the roof as you all know ..so I’m looking to get ever mile I can 

thanks in advance 

Make sure your tyres are correct pressures Rosie, car is serviced, and go easy on the accelerator.

Anticipate road conditions to avoid heavy braking, etc  Common sense really and I would expect you should get into the 60's mpg 👍

• Like 2

Hi, 

46mpg in Aygo and if it’s been used mostly on short town trips is a good mpg result. Higher than that the car has to be taken on longer A roads or motorway and maintain lower average speed, avoid hard acceleration and braking. Fuel consumption also depends of tyre pressure as mentioned, vehicle load, and if the car been serviced on time, new oil, filters, spark plugs all of these can affect efficiency. Fuel quality too, best to avoid going for the cheapest price, every garage petrol has a difference in quality and cars can pick it up especially those with low powered engines like Aygo. You may like to try Tesco momentum 99 E5, or some BP 95 E10, these two petrols my car work the best and consumption is best too. , again you try different garages to find best one because not all Tescos or BP the results are the same. 

• Like 3

Read about 'hypermiling' and get out of it what is useful for you.

• Like 1

Tony mentioned vehicle load.  Don't fuel to full, run at half fuel and refuel more often. 

As an aside, I use Shell and get a fill point for each refuel over £10.  After 10 refuels I can get a £1 off the bill.  At £2 per litre that would be 2p/l off.  The discount is less as the price drops (if only) and you get no more points for putting in more than £10 at a time. 

I guess they think more frequent visits increases the chance of extra spending - papers, coffee, sweets etc. 

• Like 1

Try only carrying what you need in the car, otherwise it's a dead weight.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Tony mentioned vehicle load.  Don't fuel to full, run at half fuel and refuel more often. 

As an aside, I use Shell and get a fill point for each refuel over £10.  After 10 refuels I can get a £1 off the bill.  At £2 per litre that would be 2p/l off.  The discount is less as the price drops (if only) and you get no more points for putting in more than £10 at a time. 

I guess they think more frequent visits increases the chance of extra spending - papers, coffee, sweets etc. 

They also give you money off to encourage you back if you have not filled up for a while, or at least they have with us, twice.  It is only £ or so but it all helps these days.

The two easiest things are half-fill the tank and put a bit more air in the tyres - Maybe 35-38 PSI; I think 40 would be too much for something as light as the Aygo, but that's what I ran on my diesel Yaris and now my hybrid!

Other things are driving techniques - Leave bigger gaps in front of you in traffic so you don't have to brake so much in the inevitable start-stop. If you get really good at anticipation you can coast the car for ages without having to brake, just by going a bit slower, so you don't catch up to the cars in front everytime they stop.

It's one reason why, even tho' I'm off like a shot at the lights most of the time, I can still get decent mpg, as it's the stopping and starting that really pulls down the mpg.

This can be hard tho' as if you leave too big a gap people might try to jump into it so you kinda have to judge it by what the other drivers in that area are like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

They also give you money off to encourage you back if you have not filled up for a while, or at least they have with us, twice.  It is only £ or so but it all helps these days.

That explains it.  I thought it was a loyalty bonus rather than a disloyalty one. I got a £3 gift and by coincidence had just qualified for my £1.  Bonus. 

I can't remember how long it had been not using it. I know during the March fuel scare I was going away on holiday and needed enough fuel for 700 miles immediately before the flight and on the day of return.  I was topping up every quarter tank, then virtually nothing in April. 

Oh have Shell started a new 'loyalty' scheme? I still have my old Shell card somewhere, but they discontinued that scheme years ago. Haven't been to a Shell garage for ages as I only went there to V-Power my old diesel Mk1, but didn't seem worth it for the Mk2 as there was no appreciable difference or advantage!

• Like 1

I always used Shell V power in my diesels, but as the Esso station is handier I use it for the Rav Hybrid, but use the E5 supreme.

Certainly the V power kept my diesels running sweet 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

46mpg in Aygo and if it’s been used mostly on short town trips is a good mpg result. Higher than that the car has to be taken on longer A roads or motorway and maintain lower average speed, avoid hard acceleration and braking. Fuel consumption also depends of tyre pressure as mentioned, vehicle load, and if the car been serviced on time, new oil, filters, spark plugs all of these can affect efficiency. Fuel quality too, best to avoid going for the cheapest price, every garage petrol has a difference in quality and cars can pick it up especially those with low powered engines like Aygo. You may like to try Tesco momentum 99 E5, or some BP 95 E10, these two petrols my car work the best and consumption is best too. , again you try different garages to find best one because not all Tescos or BP the results are the same. 

I use bp e10 … just cost me £1.94 a litre on Friday 😩

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Bitch1001 said:

I use bp e10 … just cost me £1.94 a litre on Friday 😩

Same here, I use BP E10 95 £1.82 a litre for about few months now and the car likes it the most of the E10 petrols. Tesco 99 E5 is even better but not currently available to me nearby. 👍

I can recommend CostCo fuel. You do have to be a member, and there is small fee, but it is worth checking if you qualify. At our local Manchester store, the standard E10 currently costs 173.3p, E5 is 179.9p and Premium Diesel is 181.7p. Our hybrid runs very well on E5.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, bunnyrabbit03 said:

I can recommend CostCo fuel. You do have to be a member, and there is small fee, but it is worth checking if you qualify. At our local Manchester store, the standard E10 currently costs 173.3p, E5 is 179.9p and Premium Diesel is 181.7p. Our hybrid runs very well on E5.

My nearest Costco is 25 miles away … It’s just not practical for me to use them 

On 6/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, Cyker said:

The two easiest things are half-fill the tank and put a bit more air in the tyres - Maybe 35-38 PSI; I think 40 would be too much for something as light as the Aygo, but that's what I ran on my diesel Yaris and now my hybrid!

Other things are driving techniques - Leave bigger gaps in front of you in traffic so you don't have to brake so much in the inevitable start-stop. If you get really good at anticipation you can coast the car for ages without having to brake, just by going a bit slower, so you don't catch up to the cars in front everytime they stop.

It's one reason why, even tho' I'm off like a shot at the lights most of the time, I can still get decent mpg, as it's the stopping and starting that really pulls down the mpg.

This can be hard tho' as if you leave too big a gap people might try to jump into it so you kinda have to judge it by what the other drivers in that area are like.

When I bought my new GSR, I was chatting to one of the sales people and she mentioned a hint that I've not seen mentioned anywhere, so I'll try to explain. When getting up to speed, say 60 mph, EV doesn't always kick in unless the foot is almost off the accelerator.

Now, if on a flat, if you remove your foot briefly, then slowly press the pedal the EV kicks in until more acceleration is required. It is minor detail and does work, although kind of getting desperate trying to increase mpg.

• Like 1

Yup that's a good tip, as the hybrid system will tend to stay on the ICE unless it senses a significant drop in torque demand.

Sadly this doesn't apply to the Aygo!