Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving with the aircon on

haelewyn

Engine behaviour with AC on is normal. Aygo are fine cars but for small towns and villages only. Big cities must be a Yaris hybrid, that is no doubt. I agree small cars on motorways can be efficient if driven carefully and slow 55-60mph and fuel economy is great anything above efficiency is compromised. Corolla 1.8 hybrid is ultra efficient car and come close to Prius again if carefully used. I had few months ago check on all new Toyotas in the local dealer and tbh I like larger cars. I sat in latest Aygo, Yaris, Corolla and Rav4, although I like all of them I really enjoyed been in the rav4 the most and Corolla wasn’t too bad but Yaris, Yaris cross and Aygo I rather enjoy watching them while  someone else driving them 👌👍

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Aygo are fine cars but for small towns and villages only. 

Have to disagree with that, last week I did 800 miles between Wiltshire, Sussex and Northamptonshire with a 91 year old relative, including one 4 hour non-stop drive. Neither of us felt any discomfort and the only thing that slowed us down was other traffic.

• Like 5

I am usually doing less than 110 (68 mph) on the speedometer. Sound levels and comfort are still very ok then.
If somebody would be used to doing 140 (86 mph) .. that would probably get uncomfortable compared to a bigger car.

But of course, and there we go again : that changes when the aircon is on.
Speeding up gets too difficult to be considered 'fun driving' then.

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Have to disagree with that, last week I did 800 miles between Wiltshire, Sussex and Northamptonshire with a 91 year old relative, including one 4 hour non-stop drive. Neither of us felt any discomfort and the only thing that slowed us down was other traffic.

My point was in big cities manual Aygo’s are tiring to drive because of the traffic, also their auto except the latest cvt its not the bests for stop start conditions, it’s an automated manual. If you happy with your car, simply enjoy it  🙂👍

It does depend on driving style; People always told me manuals are horrible in stop-start traffic but I drove my Yaris Mk1's and Mk2's for years in London (Some of the worst traffic!) and never had an issue - You just need to gauge the traffic speed and gap appropriately - At the top of my game I could often coast the car in low gears and using clutch and gear tricks to keep the car rolling through stop-start traffic without having to stop once.

There are exceptions - I'd hate to drive any Toyota with a 1CD-TV  in stop-start traffic as it had the heaviest clutch in the world!! :eek: I've driven vans with lighter clutches!!! :laugh: Now that ones does deffo tire the ol' left leg out!

It's one thing I find challenging with the Mk4 as I can't do those clutch tricks any more and, because of the creep, I'm forced to ride the brakes all the time, which I never had to do with the manuals. Sometimes I flick it into neutral to emulate the sub-speed coasting but when I flick it back in D again there's this weird thunk which I don't like the feel of.

On 8/2/2022 at 6:58 PM, TonyHSD said:

Aygo are fine cars but for small towns and villages only.

We've used our Aygo for a few distance journeys - eg. Birmingham to Dorset, then Dorset to Belper, then Belper to Birmingham; Birmingham to Warkton and return; etc - motorway and A-roads with two up and luggage. Use it sensibly and the Aygo is fine. 

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

My point was in big cities manual Aygo’s are tiring to drive because of the traffic

Absolute rubbish. They're no worse than any other manual car. We live in Birmingham which has heavy traffic - for example my 6.5 mile commute used to take up to an hour - and the Aygo is pretty good around town. In some ways better than some of our previous 20 cars as it is small and relatively nippy.

• Like 4

Well no problems, just my personal opinion. Of course it’s fine if you do short trips , any car is fine. But highly recommended to anyone who haven’t tried a Yaris hybrid yet to try one and I am positive will understand me and will find the biggest difference I am talking about immediately. No offence to Augo owners. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Well no problems, just my personal opinion. Of course it’s fine if you do short trips , any car is fine. But highly recommended to anyone who haven’t tried a Yaris hybrid yet to try one and I am positive will understand me and will find the biggest difference I am talking about immediately. No offence to Augo owners. 

However, the topic subject is the Aygo, not the Yaris.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links