Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing damaged mirror indicator lens

Extreme_One

Toyota quoted £78 for the lens and about 40 minutes labour.

I found the part on eBay for around £10 delivered.

So I've already bought and received the replacement lens but I'm struggling to remove the wing mirror cover in order to fit it.

I've searched YouTube for any instructional videos but not found anything for this specific model, all the other videos I've seen the cover seems to pop off with ease!

Admittedly I'm being extremely cautious but so far it feels if I'm any less cautious I'm going to cause even more damage.

This is on my my21 Corolla.

Does anyone have any useful tips?

Not sure about your car but how to remove the mirror cover is in the handbook of a C-HR since it’s part of changing the side repeated bulb.

4 minutes ago, alan333 said:

Not sure about your car but how to remove the mirror cover is in the handbook of a C-HR since it’s part of changing the side repeated bulb.

That's good advice of course, thank you. 👍

I've just checked again and it's not in the handbook.

• Like 1

the cheap lenses are cheap for a reason £78 would make it a Led unit (ones that use a bulb are around the £40 mark)

the mirror cap has to come off what means popping the glass out (tilt the glass back and pop it off with a trim tool)

Found this. 

I think this is the method I'll use. Just need to order a trim tool set - not happy about using flat head screwdrivers.

20 minutes ago, flash22 said:

the cheap lenses are cheap for a reason £78 would make it a Led unit (ones that use a bulb are around the £40 mark)

I've checked, the part I received is definitely LED. 👍

Good luck in your endeavours.  I am not sure I would take the risk unless I had the skills to do so.

No local bodyshops willing to do it for you?

Loads in youtube about how to remove/replace side mirror/ covers and side repeaters for corolla 2019 onwards. 
will save you a lot to try it yourself. 

• 3 weeks later...

Done! That saved me about £130! 😁

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:10 AM, Extreme_One said:

Done! That saved me about £130! 😁

Hi, could you please briefly explain how you did it?  I also need to replace my indicator unit in the wing mirror. All the YouTube videos which I’m finding cover either the previous Corolla model, or other models altogether.

eg. Did you work from the front and remove the mirror glass, or could you just removed the painted mirror casing. Any special tools?  Thank you in advance.

2 minutes ago, RichardDF said:

Hi, could you please briefly explain how you did it?  I also need to replace my indicator unit in the wing mirror. All the YouTube videos which I’m finding cover either the previous Corolla model, or other models altogether.

eg. Did you work from the front and remove the mirror glass, or could you just removed the painted mirror casing. Any special tools?  Thank you in advance.

It was brute force really. I used this tool set:-

4Pcs Car Trim Removal Plastic Pry... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094DLMLLS

But TBH I'd try and find something better if I were you, this set was barely up to the job.

Its just a case of prising the casing away at a corner and sliding a tool in and then when you are most of the way round it just pops off. Mind you to make the electrical connection you'll also need access to the front so the mirror will need to pop off. From memory it slides up and out, but this was a few months ago now and I've slept since.

Sorry I've not been more helpful but the old memory isn't what it was. 

Good luck.

Just press the side mirror on each corner then pull it out, it will come out eventually, at first its a bit hard. Then you will see screws attaching the cover then the side repeater take it off then voila you can easily changed the side repeater. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links