Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate Clearance.

Broadway One

Hi all......Lots of reversing these days to facilitate charging.

The space is tightish on width always requiring of course rear access to retrieve/replace charging cable.

Does the red line on the screen when reversing signify the limit for tailgate clearance ?

Lazy query as I'm sure it features somewhere in the dreaded handbook.

Barry Wright, Lancashire.   

54 minutes ago, Broadway One said:

Does the red line on the screen when reversing signify the limit for tailgate clearance ?

No ...

I suspect that the red line means 'close enough' or 'beyond this point there be dragons'. You'll have to work out for yourself exactly how much room you need to open the tailgate in your specific parking bay. It's not actually as much as I feared - i.e. if I've got room to walk comfortably behind the car to access the boot I've probably got enough room to open the tailgate without hitting the wall behind (but it's always a bit scary!).

• Like 1

On mine the lines correspond with how terrified the reverse sensor beeps are - Starts beeping at the first line, by the red line it's having a full freakout :laugh: 

I find optimal boot opening space in my Yaris is roughly between the red line and the line before it - Gives me space to stand behind and open the boot without it hitting me in the face.

Might be different for the RAV4 tho as you have a bigger boot lid!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

'beyond this point there be dragons'.

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

by the red line it's having a full freakout

Thanks guy's, love the quotes.....Barry Wright, Lancashire

• Haha 1

It can also be uncomfortably fast (relatively speaking) in reverse when approaching a wall or car.............

I've found the red line to be pretty accurate for judging clearance of the boot lid. Use if regularly for example reversing into Tesco's pod point charging spaces, where they always put a sign post directly behind the car, just where you need to open the boot to pull your charging cable out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The last car I had, the red line was the safe parking distance and the yellow was the safe distance for tailgate lift, so I tended to work on a similar basis to start with. Supposedly on the RAV4 the redline is 0.5m from the bumper and the yellow is 1.0m. So it depends what you're comfortable with, I find the red line too tight and the yellow and I'm sticking out a bit, so go about half way in between after a bit of trial and error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1