Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross steering wheel lock/ ghost immobiliser

Sarah44toy

Hello first time posting i have a Yaris Cross Dynamic on order and want to buy a Stoplock Pro Elite steering wheel lock for the car, could someone tell me if this would fit or what steering wheel lock you use on yours.   I also wanted to know if anyone else has a ghost immobiliser fitted to their car or what extra security you have fitted.

thanks everyone

Sarah 🙂 

• Like 1

Stoplock don't have the Yaris Cross in their application list currently. Try raising a query with them - 

https://www.saxon-brands.com/page/contact

Otherwise you could consider the Milenco steering wheel lock or the Disklok, both of which have been approved by SoldSecure -

https://www.soldsecure.com/category/automotive/type/steering-wheel-lock

• Like 1

Hi i have sent them a message from your first link

thanks 🙂 

3 hours ago, Sarah44toy said:

Hello first time posting i have a Yaris Cross Dynamic on order and want to buy a Stoplock Pro Elite steering wheel lock for the car, could someone tell me if this would fit or what steering wheel lock you use on yours.   I also wanted to know if anyone else has a ghost immobiliser fitted to their car or what extra security you have fitted.

thanks everyone

Sarah 🙂 

I bought a TOYOTA Fob Stopper pouch to keep the key in when you park and lock the car, helps prevent your keys being cloned (so I am told) 

I can tell you that a small Disclock fits perfectly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, anchorman said:

I can tell you that a small Disclock fits perfectly.  

thanks i will maybe order one of them 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daimler.driver said:

I bought a TOYOTA Fob Stopper pouch to keep the key in when you park and lock the car, helps prevent your keys being cloned (so I am told) 

I was thinking of turning the keyless off when i get the car & was going to order a Faraday pouch as well but will check the Toyota one out.  thanks 🙂 

Well worth getting a Faraday pouch or box if you don’t keep the car in a garage and tend to leave your keys by the door.

This would be a more useful gift from Toyota than a bamboo key box and a soft toy.

• Like 2

The alternative to a "pouch" is to put the key into low power mode. The key will then no longer respond to "pings" from the car.

i.e. in low power mode, keyless is effectively disabled and the radio relaying stealing hack will be ineffective.

Pull the car door handle with the key on you and with the key in low power mode and nothing will happen. The car won't unlock.

Pressing the unlock button on the key, brings the key out of low power mode.

It's an easy and convenient alternative to "permanent" changes via diagnostic kit.

This doesn't work for earlier Toyota systems (certainly up to about 2011/12), but does seem to work for 2016 systems onwards (possibly earlier). It does work on yaris cross. It is detailed in the car handbook for at least the cross, but basically:

Hold the key lock button in and while holding lock, press unlock twice. The key led should flash 4 times to indicate low power mode.

If the second key gets very little use, low power mode is also useful for prolonging the Battery life of the second key, by putting the second key into low power mode.  

(Note, the above is different to some cars going into "low power" mode and disabling keyless, which it does if the car's not been unlocked for approx 7 to 14 days (model and year dependant). You then have to unlock the car by pressing the key unlock button).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, daimler.driver said:

Don't know how much Toyota charged for "Fob Stopper", but I bought two Faraday pouches from Amazon for £7. Quick test with keys in pouch and try to open door - seem to do the job fine.

• Thanks 1

Yes they do but low power mode is also fine and at no extra cost.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shcm said:

Hold the key lock button in and while holding lock, press unlock twice. The key led should flash 4 times to indicate low power mode.

(Note, the above is different to some cars going into "low power" mode and disabling keyless, which it does if the car's not been unlocked for approx 7 to 14 days (model and year dependant). You then have to unlock the car by pressing the key unlock button).

Great tip! I had forgotten about that.

In the case of the Yaris Cross the car goes into reduced power mode after 5 days. After 14 days, power saving is increased further by turning off all sensors except for the driver's door. Smart entry will still work on the driver's door, it never powers down completely (until your Battery is flat 😜).

The Smart entry and start system can be completely disabled via the infotainment screen. This does however mean you have to hold the fob against the Start button.

Might be worth checking first once the car finally arrives to see if Toyota have updated the keyless fobs on the Yaris Cross to the newer secure motion sensing type.

I know C-HR & Corolla now have these more secure keyless fobs. 

The newer secure keyless fobs don't require a RFID blocking pouch as they automatically go to sleep about a minute after the fob senses its stopped moving. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Might be worth checking first once the car finally arrives to see if Toyota have updated the keyless fobs on the Yaris Cross to the newer secure motion sensing type.

Great info. I just tested and it must be the new design. I put the key on the floor by the car and within seconds the LED stops doing the heartbeat flash. I left it a minute, tried the door and it wouldn't open. As soon as I picked up the key it started to flash again.

When I picked up the car on Friday the rep at the dealership warned me about the risk and recommended a Faraday pouch. 😒

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shcm said:

The alternative to a "pouch" is to put the key into low power mode. The key will then no longer respond to "pings" from the car.

i.e. in low power mode, keyless is effectively disabled and the radio relaying stealing hack will be ineffective.

Pull the car door handle with the key on you and with the key in low power mode and nothing will happen. The car won't unlock.

Pressing the unlock button on the key, brings the key out of low power mode.

It's an easy and convenient alternative to "permanent" changes via diagnostic kit.

This doesn't work for earlier Toyota systems (certainly up to about 2011/12), but does seem to work for 2016 systems onwards (possibly earlier). It does work on yaris cross. It is detailed in the car handbook for at least the cross, but basically:

If the second key gets very little use, low power mode is also useful for prolonging the battery life of the second key, by putting the second key into low power mode.  

thank you that's really helpful will check that out when i pick up the car 🙂 

3 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Great tip! I had forgotten about that.

In the case of the Yaris Cross the car goes into reduced power mode after 5 days. After 14 days, power saving is increased further by turning off all sensors except for the driver's door. Smart entry will still work on the driver's door, it never powers down completely (until your battery is flat 😜).

The Smart entry and start system can be completely disabled via the infotainment screen. This does however mean you have to hold the fob against the Start button.

I'm fine with holding the fob against the start button & pressing the open & close button on the fob this is my first keyless car so used to a oldskool method  😁 thanks for all your help 🙂 

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I know C-HR & Corolla now have these more secure keyless fobs. 

The newer secure keyless fobs don't require a RFID blocking pouch as they automatically go to sleep about a minute after the fob senses its stopped moving. 

I will ask, as it's a new model of car there's not much online about all this when i google it so that's really helpful thanks 🙂 

2 hours ago, Sarah44toy said:

I will ask, as it's a new model of car there's not much online about all this when i google

I tested with mine and the Yaris Cross is supplied the new design key fob which has motion detection.

• Thanks 1

I can confirm the stop lock pro elite fits the Yaris cross, I have one. I also put the key fob in Battery saver mode as said above and I disabled the smart key entry system on the cars console. Hope this helps

1655230798133238269819282829287.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gerryof said:

I can confirm the stop lock pro elite fits the Yaris cross, I have one. I also put the key fob in battery saver mode as said above and I disabled the smart key entry system on the cars console. Hope this helps

1655230798133238269819282829287.jpg

Yes this helps thank you, the garage said they will turn the keyless off for me & show me how it's done. Will also use the Battery saver mode as well as a Faraday pouch, just for extra peace of mind. All i need now is the car 🙂 

• Like 2

From my own testing I am happy that the risk from keyless is very low with the new fobs. But if you do decide to completely disable Smart Entry on the car for extra peace of mind, there is no need to use a Faraday pouch. The car will just ignore all keyless entry attempts anyway. For the same reason, Battery saver mode will only really be useful for prolonging the batter life. It won’t provide any additional security once the feature is disabled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1