Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Cross ordered

MikeB2

Ordered the Yaris Cross Tech Design from my local dealer on Friday, however they have told me that my preferred colour ( Galactic Blue) is no longer available.

They persuaded me to go for the black metallic finish. When I looked on line a little later other dealers were advertising the same model in the colour I wanted. I went on line to Toyota 's web site and to the build your car, lo and behold the "car" that I built was in the Galactic Blue and no mention that this was now discontinued, to top it all when I clicked on part exchange I was quote £20110 for my Yaris Design on a 21 plate. The dealer offered me £18000 ! The car is in mint condition and has only 4000 miles on the clock. Out of curiosity I went on several sites that advertise to buy your car and they all quoted way more than my dealer had quoted.

Silly me paid a deposit on the Cross so if I pull out now I will lose my deposit. I have sent my dealer a couple of emails saying that I had seen the model I want in the colour I want but they did not reply. I telephoned the branch and asked to speak to the sales person who dealt with my order but as soon as I gave them my name he wasn't available.

I telephoned again this morning and guess who answered the phone, yes you guessed it, it was the sales person I originally placed the order with. I asked him if he had received my emails and he said yes but had been extremely busy to answer. When I pointed out to him that I could order from elsewhere and get what I wanted he became a little tongue tied. He said he will try to locate one. I know the lead time for the Cross is about 24 weeks and I told him that I was not in a hurry and prepared  to wait to get the colour I want. I also pointed out that I had better offers for a part exchange and will probably sell independently when I get confirmation of a delivery date.

Has any one else had similar problems with their dealer?

Not a happy bunny at the moment.   

• Like 1

He told you that because they had a black one at the distributor. And wanted to boost sales by a certain timeline.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In my opinion dishonest practice by your dealer and because of this you have been disadvantaged in terms of colour choice and financially.

I wouldn't trust this dealer Michael, cancel your order on the basis that they told you lies to obtain your business, and go elsewhere.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MikeB2 said:

Silly me paid a deposit on the Cross so if I pull out now I will lose my deposit.

Legally you should not lose your deposit as the dealer provided incorrect information to obtain the sale.

My local dealer tried pressure selling techniques to get me to sign a deal on a Friday, rather than having a weekend to reflect upon it.  He said if I signed I could get my deposit back right up to delivery day.  I pointed out this was not what it said in the company terms and conditions shown on their website!  He said he wan't aware of a descrepancy, but would get the relevent department to look at it.  In the end I got a better deal elsewhere.  But I would have been happy to have paid his price on the Monday for the advantages of buying local, but certainly not with that attitude.

• Like 2

My local dealer also offered me less in exchange than Toyota Online. I think partly because of the long lead times and so they built in some depreciation. Toyota Online do seem to value at the the top end and will revalue your car when the time comes. My online valuation did decrease in the end, but it was still more than the dealer offer.

The dealer's quote also included gap insurance, Supagard and a mysterious 'prep' fee. I just got the feeling they were trying to increase their margin at every opportunity.

Toyota Online just take a £250 reservation fee. Fully refundable at any point up to delivery.

• Like 2

I would be in agreement with Andrew56, you were provided with false information whether deliberately or not. I would demand my deposit back and cancel the order as you have lost trust and confidence in the dealership. As it might not be the only misinformation you might receive in future dealings.

• Like 2

I want to know what is so difficult about 'Galactic Blue' - So many people seem to have trouble with getting it.

It is even one of the colours you *can't* get on the Yaris unless you go for a lower spec car. I had to settle for Decuma Grey (Literally all the 'colours' for the Excel spec are some shade of monochrome, apart from the Red the Launch editions could have. Surely the higher spec cars should have access to more colours than lower-spec ones?!?)

41 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I want to know what is so difficult about 'Galactic Blue' - So many people seem to have trouble with getting it.

I had noted this.  A long shot - but could there be an incompatibility between this colour and the presence of a blind spot monitor?

I ordered a galactic blue Cross excel in October 21 and when it turned up at the dealership the vehicle was defcuma grey even though the docs said it was the blue colour. I accepted the colour because I didn't want to wait another 6 months for another order and was given a service plan as a customer goodwill gesture. I thought the car configurator didn't show galactic blue anymore as a choice.

Just a quick update, I had a phone call from the general manager tonight at the dealers apologising for the mis-information, it seems that the galactic blue is not available on the icon but is available on the higher spec cars. Quoted delivery end of November, so I will wait and see if I get the right colour!

56 minutes ago, MikeB2 said:

it seems that the galactic blue is not available on the icon but is available on the higher spec cars.

Well, I had to change my order for a Galactic Blue Excel because Toyota removed it as an option, so it isn't on the (newly) highest spec car. The strange thing is that when I toyed with getting it on a Dynamic instead, the dealer told me (after he checked) that I couldn't get it on that either - even though the online configurator at the time allowed it.   Of course, I've since seen what has happened to the Dynamic spec! The annoying thing is that Toyota don't allow a 'changed' order - it had to be a new order, losing me several weeks in the queue 😬

Currently blue seems to be available on the Icon or Design according to the configurator. But...

2 hours ago, chazbri said:

I ordered a galactic blue Cross excel in October 21 and when it turned up at the dealership the vehicle was defcuma grey even though the docs said it was the blue colour.

so maybe even if you can configure it, you don't get it!

I might be a little bit less tolerant, because I would still cancel the order and demand my deposit back. Once bitten twice shy. 

I have to say, what's put me off buying a new car again is I was expecting a lot better experience given it's the most expensive thing I've bought in my entire life.

But what it felt like is buying a washing machine at Currys or something.

• Like 1

I totally recommend purchasing via the website for all these reasons. The online team you deal with are not chasing targets or commission. They are just there to support and service the order you place.