Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

22 or 72 reg?

Caroline S

My Yaris is being built at last!  A few weeks ago we were given an expected date by the dealer of 22nd July, however we are on holiday until nearly the end of July.  I'm just wondering if it is worth asking the dealer to hold on to it if possible, and get it registered for a 72 plate in September which is only a month later?  Assuming they would be able to keep it for us until then do you think I should do so, as I'm assuming it will be worth more on the newer plate if we decide to change cars in a couple of years' time?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are.

Depends whether you are part exchanging and the part exchange quote is also affected by the registration change.

Also depends if the dealer has space to store the vehicle for that length of time. 

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Depends whether you are part exchanging and the part exchange quote is also affected by the registration change.

Thanks for your response. I'm not part exchanging, will be selling my 7 year old Peugeot through We Buy Any Car, or similar, so I don't think the change in reg will have a huge difference on the price I get for that.

Similarly don't think the change to a 72 reg will have much of an impact by the time you're next due to swap. The main thing is the year it was registered in.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Similarly don't think the change to a 72 reg will have much of an impact by the time you're next due to swap. The main thing is the year it was registered in.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Caroline S said:

as I'm assuming it will be worth more on the newer plate if we decide to change cars in a couple of years' time?

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I think the depreciation on a new car over a couple of years will be as painful as losing a limb and the difference in plate number might be a couple of paracetamol.

• Haha 1

Lol. 

Always a chance that the dealer has two identical spec on his books.  He might make someone very happy bringing their delivery forward. 

Regarding the date you get the car has a small effect on road tax too.  The tax in your ownership runs from the 1st of the month. At the least, for end July get them to tax after 1st August if they insist on earlier delivery 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Lol. 

Always a chance that the dealer has two identical spec on his books.  He might make someone very happy bringing their delivery forward. 

Regarding the date you get the car has a small effect on road tax too.  The tax in your ownership runs from the 1st of the month. At the least, for end July get them to tax after 1st August if they insist on earlier delivery 

Roy

On new cars, they can add the week.  Our Yaris was registered 25/9/21 yet taxed until end September.

If the car is on finance, then there may be a cutoff to when the car is registered in the T&C for the offer.  If the car is not ready then generally the finance company will extend the period, but if you choose to delay then this may not be possible so things like 0% may have to be foregone.

Also if the dealer is having to fund the car as stock, they may not want to for an extended length of time.  From memory my order form says I have to collect within 14 days of availability.

If possible and does not affect anything significant then I would hold for 72 reg. 

34 minutes ago, Kental said:

Roy

On new cars, they can add the week.  Our Yaris was registered 25/9/21 yet taxed until end September.

I must check that.  If the annual tax is £144 (for simplicity) and it is registered the last week of the month, does the tax be one £147 for that registration? 

Dealers have been able to tax new cars for an additional week for a number of years.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I found a reference, 2011, on HonestJohn though the link is dead.  Interesting that I could not find any other link. 

I Prefer plates that have the actual year, 16, 21, 22. Just me being OCD and think it looks better. getting my GR Sport in January and will be a 72 plate, even though its a 2023 car 😐 

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t leave anything at a dealer longer than it needs to be!

• Haha 1

Hello! My first post here as I'm new to Toyota and firstly many thanks for a useful and informative forum.

I'm in a similar position to Caroline: I have a Yaris Design on order with an expected delivery of mid August or maybe a week or so earlier according to the dealer who just phoned me with this delivery update, although the MyT app is still showing 'order processing'. I knew when I ordered at the tail end of February delivery would be around this time (or maybe late July), and at the time my dealer said they'd be happy to let me wait until September 1st and the new letter, and I've just confirmed this again with them.

I may have a part exchange that they valued back at the end of February when I ordered so this still seems fine with them although, like Caroline, I may sell it elsewhere before taking delivery. 

I agree the actual year of first registration is more important than the number, and for some it's not much of a consideration: one couple I know both changed their cars within a few weeks of the letter changing whereas as I'm going to be close I'd rather have the new one. 

I would say to Caroline do ask your dealer and maybe lean on them a bit: I'd wager they'd rather you were fully satisfied and happy with your transaction!

On 6/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, Starensis said:

I wouldn’t leave anything at a dealer longer than it needs to be!

That is a very good point, many tales of cars new and used being damaged and badly repaired to try and cover up without telling the customer.

Personally, I would get it out of there asap, the longer it is there the more chance of damage and abuse.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links