Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil type alternatives?

Bper

Hi All,

According to the Auris user guide Toyota recommend genuine motor oil SAE 0W-20 or if unavailable SAE SW-30

Do all 1.2T owners use this or are there any other alternatives, if not are these the only two that can be used.

Thanks

Toyota's preference usually states 'that 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next service.' 

0W-20 is now relatively common, so availability from a number of oil brands in the UK shouldn't be an issue.

0W20 gives the best fuel economy and engine protection for normal use as it circulates very quickly and is very low friction. The only reason to use thicker oils is for track days as the oil will thin out too much when the engine gets super hot.

Toyota dealers are still the cheapest place to get 0w20 by far; I'm still struggling to find a source for 0w8 (!!) for my Yaris ad my local dealers only sell it in bulk at the moment, but thankfully the engine is new enough it's not needed any oil topups...!

6 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi All,

According to the Auris user guide Toyota recommend genuine motor oil SAE 0W-20 or if unavailable SAE SW-30

Do all 1.2T owners use this or are there any other alternatives, if not are these the only two that can be used.

Thanks

Hi,

why are you looking for oil alternatives? If 0w20 is recommended for your engine that means this is the oil to put in. Changing oil types or viscosity won’t do any better but can cause some issues. Toyota oil is fine or if it’s too expensive Petronas 0w20 is good oil at cheaper price. Anything quality within the specs will do the job. 👍

• Like 2