Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone recognise where this screw cap is from ? Found it rolling around in my footwell

GR Weasel

Found this part rolling around in my footwell when I was cleaning my car. Anyone know where it needs to go ? 

I think it's come from the car.

IMG_20220614_151357.thumb.jpg.026153827d5905a630d62f9d31fe3291.jpg 

Whilst you wait for someone who really knows, I have an idea that that kind of fastener is used to anchor the carpet to the body, typically above or around where your feet would park themselves in the footwell, normally near the edge of the carpet.

I think it can be ratcheted (i.e. pushed) on to a screw thread that will have been welded on to the bodyshell, and will be poking up perpendicular to the body, often through a hole in the carpet. 

It can also be screwed on and off (clockwise/anti-clockwise) on its corresponding threaded metal stud in a conventional fashion. Twisting it with your fingers is usually enough to fit it on securely.

• Like 2

Looks like one of the 'nuts' that hold the kick panel trim in place, close to the bulkhead at floor level.
If you look in that area, you might see the threaded part poking through the kick panel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GR Weasel said:

Found this part rolling around in my footwell when I was cleaning my car. Anyone know where it needs to go ? 

I think it's come from the car.

IMG_20220614_151357.thumb.jpg.026153827d5905a630d62f9d31fe3291.jpg 

Found one of those in footwell of my car after first service, not a clue what it is

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

Whilst you wait for someone who really knows, I have an idea that that kind of fastener is used to anchor the carpet to the body, typically above or around where your feet would park themselves in the footwell, normally near the edge of the carpet.

I think it can be ratcheted (i.e. pushed) on to a screw thread that will have been welded on to the bodyshell, and will be poking up perpendicular to the body, often through a hole in the carpet. 

It can also be screwed on and off (clockwise/anti-clockwise) on its corresponding threaded metal stud in a conventional fashion. Twisting it with your fingers is usually enough to fit it on securely.

Thanks for your help guys , found it's home in the passenger side footwell. IMG_20220614_184732__01.thumb.jpg.d5bbb5292c637b9b630c06eecf7cb44a.jpg

• Like 3

It's a yaris thing, my passenger side one is missing. Vibration and or rough passenger footwork, me thinks

• Like 1

When Dashcam is fitted. They have to remove that panel in dealer.

Thank you for finding out what it was! That would have bugged me all night! :laugh: 

11 hours ago, Starensis said:

When dashcam is fitted. They have to remove that panel in dealer.

Not when you work on your own car

Years ago I had an old Triumph Herald convertible.  One day, driving over rough ground (all roads in Cyprus qualified as rough ground) there was a clatter and a heap of metal parts dropped onto my feet. 

A grovel under the dash gave no clues.  Probably something to do with the heater.  The fan worked and in Cyprus no need for  heater to I junked the bits before getting rid of the car. 

• Like 1