Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cross Side Steps

anchorman

Got round to fitting them.  It’s quite a drawn out affair and I took quite a few photos so might do a tutorial for the how to section at some stage.   You’ll also note that I fitted sill guards.  The lowly steerage level Yaris has them but the 30k Cross is devoid of them.  They were about £77.  Front and rear mudflaps were only £15 a pair so worthwhile in my opinion.  

3EBDCEC0-712E-42A5-87D4-7D45F16AD7E7.jpeg

86135F87-5C6D-4278-83A5-F3FD86930313.jpeg

298B22A8-6E0A-46C2-B6DE-DEF10CFC4BC6.jpeg

E41984DD-68C1-40B9-83DA-D3DBBB9249F4.jpeg

39CFD3F7-8CF8-4DBC-B85F-E35ED7227F3B.jpeg

A7DA39F2-525D-4368-B4E0-1E03597AC32B.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for posting. Does the driver find the steps useful? It doesn’t look like they protrude much beyond the outer sill trim.

I managed to pickup those scuff guards on eBay for a good price. I need to get them fitted this weekend. Hopefully a simple job.

I take it you need to remove the wheels to fit the mudguards?

For the lady that owns it, it was one of those Catch 22 situations.   She has terminal cancer and chose to have the Cross instead of the Yaris because she has to make occasional impromptu visits to the hospital at any time of day and night.  Our roads don’t get gritted and here in the High Peak we get quite frequent doses of snow.   We got her rigged up with the Yaris but she’s only tiny and climbing up and down into the seat really pulled on her stomach which for reasons we won’t go in to was very painful for her.  In answer to your question, it has completely solved it for her.  She now steps up and in and with a bit of coaching does exactly the opposite to get out - she comes out backwards.  They do stick out about four inches which is more than enough for her feet and she holds on with both hands when she goes through virtually any door or step.   I can stand on them and I’m 6ft and 13.5st although I tend to step straight in.  They are good looking and improve the shape of the sill and I’m pretty sure they’ll work as a good deterrent of dirt up the side.  

A mate who frequents this forum said he’d found some nice sill guards on eBay, maybe the same ones.  Those are genuine Toyota and look original.  The sill should be warmed before fitting them.   

The wheels can stay on for the front mudflaps.  Just turn the wheels.  Depends what tools you have for the rears because you position a pair of steel speed clips on the bumper lip then send the supplied screws straight through.  I took them off because it made access for the steps a bit easier and I always grease the wheel hubs anyway to stop the growing on.  

All of the accessory fitting instructions are available on the Techdoc website free of charge;

https://www.toyota-tech.eu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, anchorman said:

A mate who frequents this forum said he’d found some nice sill guards on eBay, maybe the same ones.  Those are genuine Toyota and look original.  The sill should be warmed before fitting them.   

They were these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lockwood-Compatible-Released-Stainless-Protectors/dp/B09XFBLCQD

Only on eBay. Not fitted yet, got quite a few tasks I want to do, so they are on the list. They look pretty good. Not checked the fit yet. I like the fact there are some small rear ones too with this set, but they are probably not that useful in reality.

Also have a set of these to go in:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smabee-Anti-Slip-Toyota-Accessories-Non-Slip/dp/B096S4J6F7

which should smarten up things like the cup holders a bit.

Numbered fitting ref in pictures here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wcnsxs-Accessories-Rubber-Toyota-Anti-Slip/dp/B09D3VK1C9

• Thanks 1

I did see those stainless ones. I was concerned about the steel quality though. I didn’t want to fit them only to find they start to get rust spots in a couple of years. I managed to get the official aluminium Toyota ones half price.

Those cup mats look great though. I doesn’t look like have one for the inside of the lift up console box. Which is a shame. Still might have to get a set though.

Edit: Found the Smabee set on Ali Express for £9.77 inc. delivery!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002358593542.html
The white one is glow in the dark. I just went for black.

Another little improvement was to swap the bulbs on the woefully inadequate interior lights.  Not my idea originally as the Techdoc site suggests the light unit can’t be separated but somebody on a Facebook page did it.  It’s made a big difference and being at the cool blue end actually compliments the blue dash and door lights. They’re gel led’s which I’ve not come across before.  They don’t seem to be polarised and fade very nicely.  The interior light is clipped in to the roof but I gave up on trying to prize it out for fear of damaging the headliner.  Use a broad trim tool to separate the inner black part from the outer grey part.  The switches will fall out but the near ones are the reading lights and the front left is the door switch.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203293895706

41CA050B-8258-44FF-942E-5ECCF4781B86.jpeg

DD4FF905-FBCA-4364-99D0-438FF2EF9A40.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Nice, that's something I might do to mine - The interior lights are pretty rubbish; The dash and headunit put out more light than they do which makes them almost redundant!

I just wish I could sort out the sun visor as I'm still having trouble with it only liking certain angles. I forgot and set it just off-angle and the damned thing sprung back and hit me in the head when I went over a bump :laugh: 

It's because the electrical contact for the sun visor lamp is too stiff/springy. But that sun visor is so daft; Why even have a lit mirror on the driver's one when the rear view mirror and interior lights are right there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Silver on silver.

YCSG.thumb.jpg.2eb5a09735ede7c54a4733261142a33f.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Silver on silver.

YCSG.thumb.jpg.2eb5a09735ede7c54a4733261142a33f.jpg

Nice 👍

On 6/16/2022 at 9:23 PM, anchorman said:

Another little improvement was to swap the bulbs on the woefully inadequate interior lights.

Interesting. I may have to give that a go. I found some kits which also includes bulbs for the vanity mirrors and licence plates. Not sure how easy they are to change. Here's one example which comes with a pry tool. These ones are not sealed with silicone gel though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003606662890.html

14 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Interesting. I may have to give that a go. I found some kits which also includes bulbs for the vanity mirrors and licence plates. Not sure how easy they are to change. Here's one example which comes with a pry tool. These ones are not sealed with silicone gel though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003606662890.html

As an update, those bulbs I fitted are polarised, I must have been lucky on the first car.  I’ll wait for the Cross for the number plates.  Those will have to be white.   

• Like 1

If you fancy doing a photo guide with any tips, I am sure folks would appreciate it. I certainly would.

I take these particular bulbs are all halogen as standard?

Just discovered that bulb replacement of the licence plate lights are detailed in the owner's manual as one of the few suitable for DIY maintenance.

On 6/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, IT Troll said:

If you fancy doing a photo guide with any tips, I am sure folks would appreciate it. I certainly would.

I take these particular bulbs are all halogen as standard?

Just normal tungsten jobbies. 

Got the mrs to film it.  After watching it I thought I’d chipped the corner but just been and checked, it’s absolutely unblemished - just a reflection.  The cover is VERY stiff to get out and you’ll think you’re going to break it.  I saw one somebody took out with a different tool and it was fairly mutilated so choose something with a broad blade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Many thanks, that’s really helpful. It looks like it does require a fair bit of persuasion. I think I would have bottled it without seeing the video.

• Like 2

I got my interior lights changed over to LED thanks to the above info. I also did the licence plate lights as they use the same bulb. The lamp covers are a real pain to deal with. They have to be pried off with a screwdriver (see owner's manual) then the larger size of the silicone covered LED bulbs makes them a tight fit to reinstall. However, the gel should offer more protection for exterior use.

LEDlp1.thumb.jpg.64af27994b1007cd99142ef9c0c090f1.jpg

LEDlp2.thumb.jpg.2185821b1d73ec211bb7a944c6b74020.jpg

LEDlp3.thumb.jpg.31fb3d5693572cf5d641eff4bf32bd86.jpg

I've done the vanity lights too now (again using the same silicone T10 LED bulb). These are probably the easiest to do once you know the secret. The right-hand side of the lamp fitting has the bulb holder and wiring, whilst the left-hand side has the plastic spring clip. So you attack from the left with a trim tool and push the spring clip clear of the headliner. These lights in particular are so much better with the LEDs.

Vanity1.thumb.jpg.bea3154179fd9677c8f8481f0a822500.jpg

Vanity2.thumb.jpg.bc8e4e1a6accbaf0aefaed975be686f7.jpg

• Like 3

My steerage class Yaris doesn’t have vanity lights.  Wonder if the wires are in the roof like they are in the dash for the ambient lighting.  With a pair of those I could add rear lighting by piggy backing the door lights I reckon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did the interior lights in my Yaris as well. It was hell of a fight to get the plastic trim out.

IMG_20220709_140443542.jpg

IMG_20220709_140432424.jpg

• Like 3

I bought an official Toyota cargo net intended for the C-HR (P/N: PW250-10001) on the basis that it has a similar sized boot to the Yaris Cross. I think it is a pretty good fit. The cost was £35 from eBay. Certainly more expensive than those generic ones found on Amazon, but the quality is vastly superior. The part does have a bit of an identity crisis over where it was made though.

NetFit.thumb.jpg.626bec4710fcbe2db633a5f75a6822e4.jpg

NetLabel.jpg

NetBag.jpg

I wonder if we should have this thread renamed "Yaris Cross Accessories and Modifications"?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 5:19 PM, einfachGaer said:

Did the interior lights in my Yaris as well. It was hell of a fight to get the plastic trim out.

IMG_20220709_140443542.jpg

IMG_20220709_140432424.jpg

What kind of bulbs did you used ? Can you post a photo please ?

4 hours ago, Patres said:

What kind of bulbs did you used ? Can you post a photo please ?

I used the same ones anchorman used (from eBay). See post above.

150769A9-F1A5-43E6-8115-A60CB56FFF19.thumb.jpeg.76692616e5e360fb72a976ec1d37e8a5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hello! 

I'm looking to purchase toyota yaris cross side steps. 

Can you please tell me where this have been purchased from? 

Thanks!