Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper problems

Hybrid21

Anyone had problems with wipers not working.

A colleague of my wife's recently bought a brand new Yaris Hybrid and the wipers stopped working.

Toyota dealer took 4 days to fix it, saying that they had to remove the dash to reconnect a loose wire.

20 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Anyone had problems with wipers not working.

A colleague of my wife's recently bought a brand new Yaris Hybrid and the wipers stopped working.

Toyota dealer took 4 days to fix it, saying that they had to remove the dash to reconnect a loose wire.

I am telling you, these latest small Toyota cars are made by students who just been on their apprenticeship at the factory. Loose connectors, not aligned panels, gaps, etc, all of that simply a hand labour issues. While in Japan takumi hand build Yaris GR , Mirai and Lexus here in Europe lazy teenagers are building Yaris and Yaris cross. But that’s the life ✍️👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I am telling you, these latest small Toyota cars are made by students who just been on their apprenticeship at the factory. Loose connectors, not aligned panels, gaps, etc, all of that simply a hand labour issues. While in Japan takumi hand build Yaris GR , Mirai and Lexus here in Europe lazy teenagers are building Yaris and Yaris cross. But that’s the life ✍️👍

I also find the quality of the wiper blade is poor. On a new car, it is not Bosch or any other good make. 

• Like 2

My original wipers only lasted about a year 😟

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

My original wipers only lasted about a year 😟

Toyota oem usually are Denso and very high quality. I had changed many different brands and found the best are the classic Bosch, Hella, Michelin. Bosch aero twin also a good choice. Now I have a new set of Denso exact fit for my Auris bought from carparts4less but planning to fit them in the autumn, because the sun kills the rubber, I also change them once a year or twice. 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spo2 said:

I also find the quality of the wiper blade is poor. On a new car, it is not Bosch or any other good make. 

which is weird. I had fogging issues and I was thinking of replacing the wiper blade with a new Bosch one. But everywhere I read people were saying that OEMs were the best ones.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, baxuz said:

which is weird. I had fogging issues and I was thinking of replacing the wiper blade with a new Bosch one. But everywhere I read people were saying that OEMs were the best ones.

I did have a problem with the outside of my windscreen which was contaminated with something, so that may have affected my OEMs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, baxuz said:

The biggest issue with windscreens and wipers smears comes from car washes. Here in UK and also some other countries I noticed after they washed the car they spray all over with something like a liquid wax that actually does nothing but kills the performance of your wipers. Even on brand new cars. Another reason why I prefer to wash my car by myself.
Bosch classic are one if not the best one out there. I have them 13 months old and covered 42000 miles. The trick is to use a lot of screen wash and to look after them. Never wipe the rubber with anything apart from  wash mitt and lift wiper arm, place blade on top of the mitt and slide one way., repeat one more time . Job done. 👍

• Like 3

I find similar - Any coatings for the body are really not suitable for glass, even if they're hydrophobic. I think the rubber in the wipers reacts with them poorly.

But I really want to know what's happening with these new Yarisusisesus!

It seems like the build quality has been declining in them - My one has none of the issues people have been reporting recently! If they're being made by students, mine must have been the demo one the instructor built to show them what to do! :laugh: 

Even the Wiper Blades were very good quality - Cleared the water perfectly, totally silent. I still have them in the boot as emergency spares, as I replaced them with the PIAAs I always buy, as I like the way they make the windscreen increasingly hydrophobic so after a while I don't even need to use them :laugh: 

It's starting to sound like the japanese bigwigs might need to fly over and give them another bollocking over their QA...! :unsure:

• Like 2

Wonder if anyone at Toyota is keeping track of which factory these problem Yaris where assembled in? 

Is it a general Yaris issue or just one factory with build quality problems? 

• Like 1

I really hope so - Their whole manufacturing philosophy is based around finding problems with the manufacturing workflow and finding ways to make it better- Kaizen! Continuous improvement!

I feel the problem may be that it's at odds with the more relaxed stereotypical french attitude tho'... :laugh: 

(I'll feel really stupid if all the problem ones turn out to be from the Czech plant tho'! :unsure: :laugh: )

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I really hope so - Their whole manufacturing philosophy is based around finding problems with the manufacturing workflow and finding ways to make it better- Kaizen! Continuous improvement!

I feel the problem may be that it's at odds with the more relaxed stereotypical french attitude tho'... :laugh: 

(I'll feel really stupid if all the problem ones turn out to be from the Czech plant tho'! :unsure: :laugh: )

Ah well Cyker it will have to get a bit worse to compete with that prestige manufacturer of fine automobiles in 1970s strike ridden Britain .

Don't know if the rotting sandwich behind the door card of an Allegro was a true story or urban myth.

But I do know that a wedge princess could lose 10 pieces of interior plastic trim in the 16 miles from the auction to home, and pop 3 engine hoses as a bonus.

I started looking for some oversized shoes, white makeup, and a stick on red nose in order to blend in while driving it.🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The biggest issue with windscreens and wipers smears comes from car washes. Here in UK and also some other countries I noticed after they washed the car they spray all over with something like a liquid wax that actually does nothing but kills the performance of your wipers. Even on brand new cars. Another reason why I prefer to wash my car by myself.
Bosch classic are one if not the best one out there. I have them 13 months old and covered 42000 miles. The trick is to use a lot of screen wash and to look after them. Never wipe the rubber with anything apart from  wash mitt and lift wiper arm, place blade on top of the mitt and slide one way., repeat one more time . Job done. 👍

I have wiped the blades with meths sometimes which seems to help with stopping the windscreen from smearing but you are spot on by saying about car washes I think I may have used a car wash maybe three or four times in my whole life that I have owned cars from the late sixties until now. And washing the car yourself is good exercise and you get a better result.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Ah well Cyker it will have to get a bit worse to compete with that prestige manufacturer of fine automobiles in 1970s strike ridden Britain .

I think you may have a jaundiced view of a one off experience. I had a Princess, followed by an Ambassador. Admittidley, the Ambassador was a design disaster after the Princess, but they were both the perfect car for a growing family.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

I find similar - Any coatings for the body are really not suitable for glass, even if they're hydrophobic. I think the rubber in the wipers reacts with them poorly.

But I really want to know what's happening with these new Yarisusisesus!

It seems like the build quality has been declining in them - My one has none of the issues people have been reporting recently! If they're being made by students, mine must have been the demo one the instructor built to show them what to do! :laugh: 

Even the wiper blades were very good quality - Cleared the water perfectly, totally silent. I still have them in the boot as emergency spares, as I replaced them with the PIAAs I always buy, as I like the way they make the windscreen increasingly hydrophobic so after a while I don't even need to use them :laugh: 

It's starting to sound like the japanese bigwigs might need to fly over and give them another <the spuds of lurrrrvve>ing over their QA...! :unsure:

If hydrophobicity is desired, then what is the problem with liquid wax in the car wash? Aren't silicone also used on the Wiper Blades? Then there are silicone blades as well. 

18 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Speculation and conjecture.  Reacting like this to the report of a “loose wire” has zero credibility without knowing exactly what happened.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

Speculation and conjecture.  Reacting like this to the report of a “loose wire” has zero credibility without knowing exactly what happened.   

Nope, just a personal opinion, sharing my thoughts with a hint of a joke😂👍 

• Like 2

I’ve got a motorbike built in Italy and a MK4 built in France. Both came with poor build quality and numerous trips back to dealer. 😡😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Spo2 said:

If hydrophobicity is desired, then what is the problem with liquid wax in the car wash? Aren't silicone also used on the wiper blades? Then there are silicone blades as well. 

Yeah that's what I use! They work very well, leaving a small film of silicone which makes the screen increasingly hydrophobic over time.

What I find with waxes on the windscreen is, although they do make it hydrophobic so water beads off, as you use the wipers on it, after a few dozen wipes, it gets noticeably smeary, like instead of clearing the water you get a translucent layer of 'fine' water droplets that you can't see through - My theory is that wax is a similar chemical to oil and the rubber of the wipers is somehow interacting with it to cause the smearing.

In fact, I've realized even the PIAAs do this a little bit when they've been on a while - I regularly get warnings from the MOT about it; I thought they were just trying to scam me for new wipers, but I found if I sweep the PIAAs while stationary it does start to smear a little after a few sweeps - However as I normally use them while in motion I never noticed, as the movement of air over the windscreen quickly dissipates it (When new they were fine, it only started doing this after they laid down enough layers of silicone to become hydrophobic)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

I think you may have a jaundiced view of a one off experience. I had a Princess, followed by an Ambassador. Admittidley, the Ambassador was a design disaster after the Princess, but they were both the perfect car for a growing family.

Hello bathtub tom, you are correct, it was a one off bought from a local auction, and of course a bad experience tends to put one off a model or mark.

But it was falling apart, whether that was due entirely to poor original build quality or subsequent abuse, I am not sure, the interior was very flimsy though.

To the best of my memory it was yellow with a brown vinyl roof, and a 1700 engine.

Did you find yours reliable and interior staying intact?

To be fair anything with the Badge of british leyland seems to automatically qualify for snark as a matter of course, for reasons I'm apparently not old enough to understand :whistling1: :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Yeah that's what I use! They work very well, leaving a small film of silicone which makes the screen increasingly hydrophobic over time.

What I find with waxes on the windscreen is, although they do make it hydrophobic so water beads off, as you use the wipers on it, after a few dozen wipes, it gets noticeably smeary, like instead of clearing the water you get a translucent layer of 'fine' water droplets that you can't see through - My theory is that wax is a similar chemical to oil and the rubber of the wipers is somehow interacting with it to cause the smearing.

In fact, I've realized even the PIAAs do this a little bit when they've been on a while - I regularly get warnings from the MOT about it; I thought they were just trying to scam me for new wipers, but I found if I sweep the PIAAs while stationary it does start to smear a little after a few sweeps - However as I normally use them while in motion I never noticed, as the movement of air over the windscreen quickly dissipates it (When new they were fine, it only started doing this after they laid down enough layers of silicone to become hydrophobic)

Thanks, so do you apply silicone spray or grease on the rubber Wiper Blades?

Well my experience with Toyota and indeed the Yaris is such that I’m back with another.  I will only buy Japanese cars (the masters of mass production) and I’ve had many Toyota’s,  Mazda and Lexus.  Do I expect Lexus build quality?  No but I’d rather have any Toyota than a European brand when it comes to build and reliability.  I would have to have seen the “one off” rogue with poor panel gaps and paintwork on this forum.  I’m not saying it didn’t happen but I am saying it didn’t leave the factory like that - a surprising amount get damaged in transit or at the dealers.  I was looking at RRG’s Cross demo the other day and it had a terrible bend in it right through a from door and into the floorpan, that will end up with an unsuspecting customer at some stage.  Somebody must have had it hooked on a post or low wall - a proper mess.  My Yaris has perfectly even gaps and so have three Cross’s that I’ve been in close contact with lately.  It can’t be otherwise owing to the way they are jigged.   Same goes for the afore mentioned wiper “loose wire”.  I accept something could cause a fault but only knowing about car production and testing would arrive at the conclusion that there is more to that.  A colleague of a wife story is prone to “going to a dance, send three and fourpence” syndrome 😉.  Most faults on new cars are a result of human intervention.

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks, so do you apply silicone spray or grease on the rubber wiper blades?

You better not. 
Once I had pair of my favourite Bosch classic, at the time they were made in Germany and we were an official Bosch reseller. Nearly new I decided to go with alcohol wipes and squeeze the rubber blades both sides to make them even better. What a mistake. Soon after that the wiper become very noisy, they started to jump all over and smeared badly. I made a complain to the Bosch importer and they asked me to send those back to them. Shortly after they knew what was done to them , I simply had destroyed the special coating that they have from factory and once this is done wipers can’t perform as good as before. They also advised when mounting them on the car to try not to touch excessively the rubber blades for the same reason and if need to clean them only with water and car shampoo on the mitt slide under the blades without too much pressure. Years later got the same advice from a famous car valeter who washes the cars of rich and famous in central London, he thought me his know how too, and it’s the same. He also said never to apply any car wax or polish onto the windows for the same reason, smearing afterwards. 👍

• Like 1