Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MK4 security

Starensis

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Did you really get your other half to lock you in the car?? :laugh: 

Do you think I'm mad??!! 😉 (I had the other key in low power mode in my pocket just in case!!)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Starensis said:

Unusual. Alarm usually works off door switches opposed to door latch.

Well I can assure you that the door didn't move at all when the alarm went off because it stopped me from opening the latch fully before it "grabbed it" out of my fingers (and the alarm started blaring immediately) in our Launch Edition. Perhaps it's a feature of the Smart Touch locking/unlocking system?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CPN said:

Well I can assure you that the door didn't move at all when the alarm went off because it stopped me from opening the latch fully before it "grabbed it" out of my fingers (and the alarm started blaring immediately) in our Launch Edition. Perhaps it's a feature of the Smart Touch locking/unlocking system?

Will have to check our Design non-keyless system when I get back from holiday.

You can lock door with key on your person ( I assume ) whilst in car - so I can check if alarm is activated when attempting to open door. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starensis said:

Will have to check our Design non-keyless system when I get back from holiday.

You can lock door with key on your person ( I assume ) whilst in car - so I can check if alarm is activated when attempting to open door. 👍

That would be interesting to see what happens. On the keyless system and with the fob fully active (on ours). it won't allow you to use the fob inside to lock the doors because it comes up with "key detected inside" on the dash display. However, you can lock the door individually using its manual button above the interior handle of each door or, on the driver's door, use the "all lock/all unlock" buttons instead. (... of using the fob - even with the key fob inside the vehicle)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CPN said:

That would be interesting to see what happens. On the keyless system and with the fob fully active (on ours). it won't allow you to use the fob inside to lock the doors because it comes up with "key detected inside" on the dash display. However, you can lock the door individually using its manual button above the interior handle of each door or, on the driver's door, use the "all lock/all unlock" buttons instead. (... of using the fob - even with the key fob inside the vehicle)

Yes, my keyless CHR is same. It just beeps and refuses to lock with key inside car.

Will have a go on the Yaris Design and report back. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an issue a while back where my girlfriend opened the passenger door with the car still locked. I turned around and was like "wtf? i haven even unlocked it yet" the wind mirrors were even still folded in. Did some testing and yeah the passenger door was not locking, i booked it in to be looked at but on the day it was due to fixed it somehow magically fixed itself. I think when i was testing leaving the key in the car etc it must of reset it self. 

First time she did it the alarm didnt go off, but another time it did. 

I just had the wing mirror replaced so I'm assuming it was linked to that.

Here is a trick to try:

You need 2 keys.  Place one set in the car.  Lock all the doors manually.  Open a door and get out.  Now try and lock the car.

Next with keys in the boot, try and start the car.  Mine reports key not defected.  Now see what happens if you try and lock the car with the other keys.

22 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Here is a trick to try:

You need 2 keys.  Place one set in the car.  Lock all the doors manually.  Open a door and get out.  Now try and lock the car.

Next with keys in the boot, try and start the car.  Mine reports key not defected.  Now see what happens if you try and lock the car with the other keys.

That’s a setting you can change in car menu. Key detection - Drivers seat or Anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GR Weasel said:

I had an issue a while back where my girlfriend opened the passenger door with the car still locked. I turned around and was like "wtf? i haven even unlocked it yet" the wind mirrors were even still folded in. Did some testing and yeah the passenger door was not locking, i booked it in to be looked at but on the day it was due to fixed it somehow magically fixed itself. I think when i was testing leaving the key in the car etc it must of reset it self. 

There can be different ways of operating the central locking and alarm activity. If you gf was inside the car while the car been locked and she opened the passenger door and exit the car then the central locking will remind active on all other doors but not on the one she had used. You need to second lock the car to lock the passenger door too. The mirrors will unfold when drivers door is unlock and alarm deactivated. 

• Like 2

On our Design Yaris, single press of fob locks the car and activates the alarm, second press activates the deadlocks.  Locking the car with the key does not activate the deadlocks.

In the picture of the blue stripped one, it looks the front bumper has gone too.  My guess is it is Icon spec as it looks to not have privacy glass.  I can't zoom in on the sticker on the boot lid, but could it be a hire car?  As specifically a lower spec car, could it be items stolen to order?

36 minutes ago, Kental said:

In the picture of the blue stripped one, it looks the front bumper has gone too.

The front bumper, headlights & bonnet all removed from it.

There's a video doing the rounds on social media I posted a screen shot from earlier in the thread.

• Like 2

We had little Miss Daisey in and asked where her locking wheel nut was, in the car I think?? Oh no, wait a minute..............I put it "in the drawer at home" 🙄

On another note, we had a Landcruiser in stock that was "stripped" completely in the compound, wheels, bonnet, wings, lamps, FULL interior, gone! They even sprayed a mild bleach everywhere to kill any DNA, car was a write off 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

We had little Miss Daisey in and asked where her locking wheel nut was, in the car I think?? Oh no, wait a minute..............I put it "in the drawer at home" 🙄

On another note, we had a Landcruiser in stock that was "stripped" completely in the compound, wheels, bonnet, wings, lamps, FULL interior, gone! They even sprayed a mild bleach everywhere to kill any DNA, car was a write off 

This is the problem. They know locking key will be in car somewhere ( barring Miss Daisey ). Once they access to bonnet pull, they can take literally anything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GR Weasel said:

I had a girlfriend like that once.

On a day out at the seaside in a pug 405 looking forward to haddock and chips,then an ice cream on the prom afterwards.

The g/f said she had left something in the car, so gave her the key to go and get it.

Soon the hazards were flashing, the alarm blaring, and my face red with embarrassment.

Eventually by experimental pushing of lock unlock on the fob I managed to stop the alarm and get the door unlocked.

When it was time to set off for home, I got a bit of a clue how it had happened,she grabbed the door handle and pulled it before letting the doors unlock by me pressing the fob,then immediately yucked the handle again before the lock activated and carried on impatiently yanking on the handle until the system was messed up again alarm etc.

Somehow this turned out to be my fault 😂

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Yes it was, you should have known............I'm guessing she is an ex girlfriend now :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I had a girlfriend like that once.

On a day out at the seaside in a pug 405 looking forward to haddock and chips,then an ice cream on the prom afterwards.

The g/f said she had left something in the car, so gave her the key to go and get it.

Soon the hazards were flashing, the alarm blaring, and my face red with embarrassment.

Eventually by experimental pushing of lock unlock on the fob I managed to stop the alarm and get the door unlocked.

When it was time to set off for home, I got a bit of a clue how it had happened,she grabbed the door handle and pulled it before letting the doors unlock by me pressing the fob,then immediately yucked the handle again before the lock activated and carried on impatiently yanking on the handle until the system was messed up again alarm etc.

That era of 405 alarm system was a complete joke - extremely easy to shut up & bypass the immobilizer.

If you left the drivers window open you could defeat the complete system without it even triggering. 

Aye forkingabout , it was a strange mix of qualities in a car, brilliant turbo diesel intercooler engine, very comfortable seats, and even drove and handled well.

On the other hand,fly off wipers, many washer pumps required, and as you say strange alarm and electrics.

And yes Parts-King , she became an ex, not because of that episode though, I just said "yes dear" and then bought her a second hand push bike.

For some reason she considered that to be patronising.

(Please note that this is all tongue in cheek and I am not a ignorant misogynist, for the easily offended)

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Aye forkingabout , it was a strange mix of qualities in a car, brilliant turbo diesel intercooler engine, very comfortable seats, and even drove and handled well.

On the other hand,fly off wipers, many washer pumps required, and as you say strange alarm and electrics.

Like designing a heated seat system with no thermal cut out, by the time the seat occupant switched the seat heating off the element had already burnt out - I modified mine & added a thermal cut out kit from Maplin.

Like multi plug earth connections for the wiring harness - Peugeot dealer gave up on the intermittent ABS warning light illumination issue on mine - I accidentally found the plug in earth behind the glove box was the cause.

They did ride & handle extremely well, even with a rear wheel in the air during hard cornering which was normal for PSA products of the time.

Extremely strong door mirrors as well, anyone bashing them lost there's. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Like designing a heated seat system with no thermal cut out, by the time the seat occupant switched the seat heating off the element had already burnt out - I modified mine & added a thermal cut out kit from Maplin.

Like multi plug earth connections for the wiring harness - Peugeot dealer gave up on the intermittent ABS warning light illumination issue on mine - I accidentally found the plug in earth behind the glove box was the cause.

They did ride & handle extremely well, even with a rear wheel in the air during hard cornering which was normal for PSA products of the time.

Extremely strong door mirrors as well, anyone bashing them lost there's. 

It's French, it does French things, had more than my fair share of fault-finding electrical faults on 80's - mid 2010's french cars, from just parts made down to the lowest price to total cascade failure of engine control systems, the Aygo suffers from the PSA electrical diseases, hazard and A/C buttons to brake light switches and indicator stalks

It didn't help matters when PSA , Peugeot, Citroen etc for those not familiar, started outsourcing parts supplies to onion and garlic growers for critical electronic components.

And mechanical parts to the main manufacturers of brie and camembert.

As usual though, the dealers here were the worst part of the set up, I put 80k miles on a new 1989Citroen ax 14 rd in four years, good value little motor,no real reliability problems.

Just the dealer lying and lying and then lying some more.🙄

AX suspension was great, speed bumps didn't slow an AX down.

6 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

AX suspension was great, speed bumps didn't slow an AX down.

It was good suspension , especially considering the move away from the spheres to a simpler system on such a small car , went all over Europe in it as well as working at 25p a mile at the time expenses.

If I remember the press blurb at the time a hypermiler got 112 mpg out of one putting it the world's most economical car in the Guinness book.

So much for for 34 years of progress now chasing 60-70 mpg hybrid.

But then, I am a technological dinosaur 🦴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the event of an accident I know which vehicle I would rather be sat in & it's not the lightweight Citroen. 

Hey someone driving a Mk1 Yaris D4D managed to get something like 134mpg in a hypermiling challenge so the target is even higher! :laugh: 

I do wonder what someone could get out of a Mk4 with that sort of hypermiling tho' - If I can get it into the low 80's/high 70's with the way I drive, smeg knows what the guy who had the patience to get 134mpg out of a Mk1 could do! :laugh: 

I do admire french car design tho' - They really know how to design an actually small car that's still practical and looks good; Something a lot of manufacturers really don't do so well at.

I also like their innovation - They often have some incredible and clever ideas in their cars; They just have a total lack of consistency and seem to get bored and just call it day halfway through :laugh: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

In the event of an accident I know which vehicle I would rather be sat in & it's not the lightweight Citroen. 

I agree entirely forkingabout,my ax was made of plastic panels and turkey foil, but it was cheap comparatively , and I knew I would be doing a huge milage.

So , I drove as defensively as possible aware of the danger, luckily no touches on other cars at all.

I did hit a rabbit unfortunately taking my brother home one day, it twisted the tinfoil bonnet, fractured the radiator , and made a right mess of the front.

The rabbit shook it's head and ran off happy and unharmed.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links