Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2022 Go Navigation map updates

eyemdee

I have just changed my 2019 Corolla Design for a 2022 model. I used to update the Navigation maps using a USB stick every 6 months but the 2022 Navigation system is different and doesn't use this method. The online manual and navigation settings on the car both suggest that map updates have to be done by the dealer. Can anyone tell me if it is still possible to update the maps without having to visit a dealer, presumably at extra cost?

It uses live mapping via the DCM - it's always up to date.

The only maps that are dealer updateable are the base mapping which the system will use if it doesn't have a data connection via the inbuilt DCM.

You should get 4 years free smart connect live services with a brand new UK registered vehicle.

• Like 1

Thanks Lee, I didn't realise that. I was wondering about the Smart subscription in MyT but the dealer didn't mention it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having issues with the inbuilt Go navigation and wondering if it is up to date if anyone can help. The map version is showing as 21-15-09 (2021-06-9) which seems old for a 2022 manufactured car. Selecting Map Update just brings up the message "Problem with Map Update, please contact your dealer". Can anyone advise please?

2 hours ago, eyemdee said:

I am having issues with the inbuilt Go navigation and wondering if it is up to date if anyone can help. The map version is showing as 21-15-09 (2021-06-9) which seems old for a 2022 manufactured car. Selecting Map Update just brings up the message "Problem with Map Update, please contact your dealer". Can anyone advise please?

A clue here? 

2 hours ago, eyemdee said:

The map version shown is the back up mapping data the system will use when it doesn't have a data connection via the DCM to use the LIVE mapping data for navigation. 

There was a Smart Connect software update issued last month for the system, has you car got that installed?

Its going to be interesting when the first Smart Connect vehicles hit 4 years old & the LIVE mapping services stop working. 

Update - Copy.jpg

SC.jpg

Thanks again for your help Lee. I just checked the software update screen and it says No updates available and there is no history. I am presuming that if I connect the car to my wi-fi network I may be able to get this update? None of this was explained when I took delivery of the car last month. I note from your screenshots that the update fixes bugs and I have certainly been experiencing some! 

Re your comment about vehicles reaching 4 years old, I travelled to the coast using the inbuilt navigation before I knew about or subscribed to the Smart Services and it still worked. The only thing I didn't get was the "Attention, in 1 mile, road works" message umpteen times when there wasn't even a traffic cone in sight! 

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

A clue here? 

Thanks Roy but I find the people on here are far more helpful!

The vehicle should check for & download the update via its own built in DCM - no need to connect to WiFi.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyemdee said:

Thanks Roy but I find the people on here are far more helpful!

Thanks eye, but seriously, do give the dealer a chance.  The newer the kit the less likely forum members will know the answer.  

When answer is forth coming from a dealer feeding back here improves the forum knowledge. 

19 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The map version shown is the back up mapping data the system will use when it doesn't have a data connection via the DCM to use the LIVE mapping data for navigation. 

There was a Smart Connect software update issued last month for the system, has you car got that installed?

Thanks to this explanation I think I have found the solution to my problem. I believe my car has been using the backup mapping data from day 1. The car had been showing in MyT account since it arrived at the dealership and I had enrolled MyT account for Smart Services. However there was no driver profile set up when the salesman connected my iPhone and .switched on Apple Play. Once I scanned the QR code and connected it properly to MyT account, the mapping screen changed and now displays live standing traffic which it has never done before. I presume that software updates will now happen automatically without me needing to visit the dealer. Thanks to everyone for your help.

• Like 2

I'm having issues with the DCM.  Toyota got back to me to say I need to go into a dealer for them to look into it.  It is what works the My T app too - but many journeys are not being tracked via the app and they claim the DCM is at fault.

All was working right before Easter but since then too many issues.

So if Sat Nav uses the DCM then if not right might not update.

52 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

I'm having issues with the DCM.  Toyota got back to me to say I need to go into a dealer for them to look into it.  It is what works the My T app too - but many journeys are not being tracked via the app and they claim the DCM is at fault.

All was working right before Easter but since then too many issues.

So if Sat Nav uses the DCM then if not right might not update.

Just a thought but do you know whether your Driver Profile is loading when you start the car? There is an apparently known issue with some smartphones that the driver profile does not always load and the car defaults to the Guest Profile. If this happens I think I am right in saying that your journey will not be tracked in your MyT account as it will not be connected. When you click on Settings in the main menu your name should be showing at the top under Personal Details if your driver profile has loaded.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:31 PM, eyemdee said:

Just a thought but do you know whether your Driver Profile is loading when you start the car? There is an apparently known issue with some smartphones that the driver profile does not always load and the car defaults to the Guest Profile. If this happens I think I am right in saying that your journey will not be tracked in your MyT account as it will not be connected. When you click on Settings in the main menu your name should be showing at the top under Personal Details if your driver profile has loaded.

Hi,

Yes it does - it is linked to both my works mobile and my own for the App - the profile is to my works mobile however as I use the Car Play for that very purpose as do not feel the need to add my personal phone - although might do as the secondary profile and see if still have the issue.

Now it does this all the time even though my profile has loaded on my works phone.  Case in point last week was driving to work and it did not track me at all - but on the way back it tracked my half-way - stopped - then add a second journey about 2 miles after... even though I had not stopped.

But:

It does not matter which phone I have (when no work phone the profile does not load) as the App can be on other phones for the App to work with the car.  As at weekends I do not switch my work phone on or take it with me.  The car still tracks sometimes and other times not.  The App on my private phone still tells me when doors opened, etc. so it is communicating.

Again, all was well until Easter then it went all screwy!

Anyhow soon taking it into Toyota for them to check the DCM.

11 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Hi,

Yes it does - it is linked to both my works mobile and my own for the App - the profile is to my works mobile however as I use the Car Play for that very purpose as do not feel the need to add my personal phone - although might do as the secondary profile and see if still have the issue.

Now it does this all the time even though my profile has loaded on my works phone.  Case in point last week was driving to work and it did not track me at all - but on the way back it tracked my half-way - stopped - then add a second journey about 2 miles after... even though I had not stopped.

But:

It does not matter which phone I have (when no work phone the profile does not load) as the App can be on other phones for the App to work with the car.  As at weekends I do not switch my work phone on or take it with me.  The car still tracks sometimes and other times not.  The App on my private phone still tells me when doors opened, etc. so it is communicating.

Again, all was well until Easter then it went all screwy!

Anyhow soon taking it into Toyota for them to check the DCM.

I’m glad it’s not just me! I travelled today from home in Mansfield to the East Coast. I stopped at Wragby for a coffee and a natural break. When I left Wragby I got the profile not loaded message and had to select it manually then the navigation system guided me here as usual. Checking MyT app tonight I see the car is still in Wragby and not where I have parked it on the coast!  I am getting too long in the tooth for this complicated technology that just doesn’t seem to work.

• Like 1

Yes the My Toyota App was so quick to update the car location with my 69 reg Corolla but 2022 model takes forever 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Yes the My Toyota App was so quick to update the car location with my 69 reg Corolla but 2022 model takes forever 

I am convinced mine would never have updated if I hadn’t gone out and connected it to MyT account for about the fourth time. The last part of my journey that day is still not recorded so it looks like it disconnected itself from my account as I pulled into the car park in Wragby. Something is not right…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyemdee said:

I am convinced mine would never have updated if I hadn’t gone out and connected it to MyT account for about the fourth time. The last part of my journey that day is still not recorded so it looks like it disconnected itself from my account as I pulled into the car park in Wragby. Something is not right…

Agreed something is not synching correctly 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Agreed something is not synching correctly 

I have a theory that the salesman may have set it all up incorrectly. He paired my phone then told me to go to MyT app and add a car. This then allowed him to scan the QR code but it brought up the message that the VIN number was already connected. He didn’t set up the main profile either. I am thinking of resetting everything and starting again.

It seems that there is an issue with the DCM module on the new corollas.

I have been told by Toyota to take it to a dealership to have it looked at and get it replaced and I believe its a wider issue as lots of new cars have this issue.

• Like 2

Mine one asked me for the vin code about 3 month ago but was happy with the registration number but this was not disclosed on the screen but it shoud be in my opinion.

For vin number I need to read my documentation or read it off the car identity plate that a hassle!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scout117 said:

I have been told by Toyota to take it to a dealership to have it looked at and get it replaced and I believe its a wider issue as lots of new cars have this issue.

It could be a problem with the DCM module but I am more inclined to think there is a software problem somewhere in Toyota’s systems. I have a theory that the links of the chain between the car, the MyT app, the multimedia system and the mobile phone are not always being created in the right sequence. But I could be wrong!

13 hours ago, eyemdee said:

It could be a problem with the DCM module but I am more inclined to think there is a software problem somewhere in Toyota’s systems. I have a theory that the links of the chain between the car, the MyT app, the multimedia system and the mobile phone are not always being created in the right sequence. But I could be wrong!

I agree it is most likely software as the DCM must be working correctly as the fuel level, mileage and the incessant warnings that a door is unlocked while I am emptying the boot appear to work so the car must be communicating. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scout117 said:

I have a job card in at my local Toyota Dealership for mine to be looked at... and as of today they informed me it is on hold as they are still debating with Toyota GB on the issue before they look at it!

Toyota might have been the mutts nuts a few years ago but they seem to be pretty lame now.

If there is an issue on a new car then the warranty should cover it!  Otherwise they have sold a "not-fit-for-purpose" and "less-than-satisfactory" and dare i say "sub-standard" product!

Yes this is just the DCM... but if they overlook and do not fix things like this then what else will go wrong?  (after 4 weeks I needed new shock absorbers and anti-roll bar bushed replaced 😲 )!

17 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Mine one asked me for the vin code about 3 month ago but was happy with the registration number but this was not disclosed on the screen but it shoud be in my opinion.

For vin number I need to read my documentation or read it off the car identity plate that a hassle!.

After i received mine it did not recognise the reg number.

I had to go out and read the VIN from the windscreen Badge - it then recognised it... and showed me the reg number 😄 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1