Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ABS, powersteering and battery suddenly die

hintasaarnaaja

Hello,

during a drive my T25 lost powersteering and also an ABS light lit up on the dash.

We pulled up to a parking lot and shut the engine and going to start it it wouldn't start.

Me and my father are thinking about an issue in the alternator, maybe a loose/broken belt or a broken alternator, resulting in the loss of Battery and giving us these issues

I have not checked any voltage with a multimeter since the car hasn't been towed home yet, but I am asking for some help on what to check and where

Engine is 1ZZ-FE

thanks in advance

Hi, 

sorry to hear that happened. You got it right thinking. Alternator belt most likely the case. Check that first and then the alternator itself. Battery check and eventually recharge with external charger maybe needed too. 
Good luck 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

sorry to hear that happened. You got it right thinking. Alternator belt most likely the case. Check that first and then the alternator itself. Battery check and eventually recharge with external charger maybe needed too. 
Good luck 

Thank you Tony

Issue most likely with the belt. It had become loose and cracked after sitting for a long time. Since the powersteering pump works with the belt, it explains why steering felt a bit heavier. Will try to find the belt and install it some day soon, hoping that it is the only issue

EDIT: low Battery due to the alternator not charging it might have been the cause of the ABS light indicator being lit up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hintasaarnaaja said:

Thank you Tony

Issue most likely with the belt. It had become loose and cracked after sitting for a long time. Since the powersteering pump works with the belt, it explains why steering felt a bit heavier. Will try to find the belt and install it some day soon, hoping that it is the only issue

EDIT: low battery due to the alternator not charging it might have been the cause of the ABS light indicator being lit up.

Very likely indeed. Happened to me too in the past on Audi A4 and exactly the same lights went off. 

I check power steering fluid for correct fluid level and change the belt.

Issue is fixed now.

Basically step by step what I did:

- I checked all pulleys to see which were good and which were bad

- I checked belt tensioner to see if it had broken

- I checked the alternator belt

Problem was with the power steering pump pulley, bearings were worn out causing the pulley to fail. It is now replaced. Alternator belt I also changed, inexpensive enough and for the greater good. Car drives well, no issues. I am truly impressed by this engine, it has driven 200 000 kilometres and with just some regular maintenance this has been the biggest issue so far. And anything that breaks is easy enough to fix yourself.  Hopefully this thread will be of use for other users.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, hintasaarnaaja said:

Issue is fixed now.

Basically step by step what I did:

- I checked all pulleys to see which were good and which were bad

- I checked belt tensioner to see if it had broken

- I checked the alternator belt

Problem was with the power steering pump pulley, bearings were worn out causing the pulley to fail. It is now replaced. Alternator belt I also changed, inexpensive enough and for the greater good. Car drives well, no issues. I am truly impressed by this engine, it has driven 200 000 kilometres and with just some regular maintenance this has been the biggest issue so far. And anything that breaks is easy enough to fix yourself.  Hopefully this thread will be of use for other users.

Well done 👍