Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Car making scraping noise when turning into our local garage


Recommended Posts

A bit of an odd problem, iv'e come across in driving in to our local petrol station which has a slight camber in that i get a metal to metal sound like the underneath of the car has made contact with the concrete ground 

iv'e had a good look underneath the car and cant find any markings of any contact being made. Any ideas as to what is going on. I also sometimes get the same sound when on my estate without any cambers  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Are you 100% sure its just not the pedestrian acoustic warning sound when at low speed in EV mode?

It sounds like a UFO / metal on metal noise. 

Open the drivers window, put the car in reverse & drive slowly backwards in EV mode - is that the noise your hearing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When i first had my car back in April i wondered what on earth that noise was when driving slowly in EV mode, forwards or reverse. Then i realised it's the warning for pedestrians. I have some very strange looks from people when driving round car parks, or when go out of a space haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Are you 100% sure its just not the pedestrian acoustic warning sound when at low speed in EV mode?

It sounds like a UFO / metal on metal noise. 

Open the drivers window, put the car in reverse & drive slowly backwards in EV mode - is that the noise your hearing?

No, that's not the sound, it's definitely the sound of the car scraping on the tarmac of the garage. I've checked the suspension arms, those being the nearest to the floor, and they look clean 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fourbanks said:

No, that's not the sound, it's definitely the sound of the car scraping on the tarmac of the garage. I've checked the suspension arms, those being the nearest to the floor, and they look clean 

Hi, 

if you have scrapped the car underneath, the lowest point on these cars are the aluminium cross beams that add structural rigidity to the body. I had done few time’s going slowly over high speed bumps but at that moment I was able to hear and feel the scraping. Here picture what to double check on your Corolla

D6FB8A04-49AD-44F8-8431-EA541156A5F1.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

if you have scrapped the car underneath, the lowest point on these cars are the aluminium cross beams that add structural rigidity to the body. I had done few time’s going slowly over high speed bumps but at that moment I was able to hear and feel the scraping. Here picture what to double check on your Corolla. 

D6FB8A04-49AD-44F8-8431-EA541156A5F1.jpeg

Hi Tony

it feels like a turkey foil tray, is that what you're referring to? If so, it would be very miner and sounded far worse

i went back over to the garage and this time i didn't break on the camber on entering and was OK 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Hi Tony

it feels like a turkey foil tray, is that what you're referring to? If so, it would be very miner and sounded far worse

i went back over to the garage and this time i didn't break on the camber on entering and was OK 

Not the turkey foil, the bar like metal part. Here on my car is made from steel. 

62E64E7A-87B1-40F1-9C26-6781F8BB266C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Not the turkey foil, the bar like metal part. Here on my car is made from steel. 

62E64E7A-87B1-40F1-9C26-6781F8BB266C.jpeg

The new Corolla is not like yours, it's all very much covered so not much to see at all 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The new corolla is not like yours, it's all very much covered so not much to see at all 

Ok, still very similar construction. Here a video to show everything that can eventually be scrapping. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, still very similar construction. Here a video to show everything that can eventually be scrapping. 

 

Thanks, Tony

my layout is very different, it's all mostly covered, so not much to see at all apart from the suspension. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, fourbanks said:

A bit of an odd problem, iv'e come across in driving in to our local petrol station which has a slight camber in that i get a metal to metal sound like the underneath of the car has made contact with the concrete ground 

iv'e had a good look underneath the car and cant find any markings of any contact being made. Any ideas as to what is going on. I also sometimes get the same sound when on my estate without any cambers  

I think you may need to get your car on a ramp to see if you can see what it is.  I would consider using a different petrol station until you can get to see underneath your vehicle properly.  IMHO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2badmice said:

I think you may need to get your car on a ramp to see if you can see what it is.  I would consider using a different petrol station until you can get to see underneath your vehicle properly.  IMHO.

Will do mike and thanks everyone 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

This is the part in question, i believe that i scrape when going to my local petrol station. What is this part, does anyone know? 

IMG20220619121307.jpg

Looks like some heat shield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

When do you hear the sound on your estate, e.g. going over speed bumps? 

Yes, just on cornering as well with breaking. The dealer is taking a look at it next week 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Yes, just on cornering as well with breaking. The dealer is taking a look at it next week 🙂 

Well this is the same as the turkey foil in question in previous posts  but the one that covers the fuel tank. It looks a bit low to me, but it might be from the picture angle. These sometimes but most on older cars 5+ years get their attachment points rusted away and loose, something that definitely not the case here. Best is obviously the dealer to have a look since it’s a new car. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dealer is going to look into this problem as to why this takes place on a camber and sleeping policemen. Personally i think my model the GR sport should have come with a warning with regards cambers and had it done so i would not have purchased it and brought the C-HR simple. The customer service can't help as they always say"i know nothing" and by the sound of them they certainly don't 

i'll see what the damage is and take from there if it's miner keep it and if worse will have to sell it at a loss and go else ware or upgrade to the C-HR 

the manufactures also know nothing, as in reality they're only fitters like quick fit. My contact in Japan says it's an oversight and unlikely to crop up in Japan as the roads overall are excellent, and look forward to my dealer's explanation. My dealer's service department know nothing as they to only do a limited type of basic service 

i blame myself as at the end of the day my due diligence was rubbish so i must by default be partly to blame 

so if you own a GR sport watch out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The dealer is going to look into this problem as to why this takes place on a camber and sleeping policemen. Personally i think my model the GR sport should have come with a warning with regards cambers and had it done so i would not have purchased it and brought the C-HR SIMPLE. The customer service can't help as they always say"i know nothing" and by the sound of them they certainly don't 

i'll see what the damage is and take from there if it's miner keep it and if worse will have to sell it at a loss and go else ware or upgrade to the C-HR 

so if you own a GR sport watch out 

If you worry about the car clearance and you like the car and want to keep it you can simply change the springs and rise it up a bit to standard specs like icon and design or even more than standard specs if you buy all 4 springs for trek versions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

If you worry about the car clearance and you like the car and want to keep it you can simply change the springs and rise it up a bit to standard specs like icon and design or even more than standard specs if you buy all 4 springs for trek versions. 

Personally Tony, i don't like the car, it's rubbish. i'm not the sort of person who goes for looks, i only purchased it for the heads-up display only nothing more nothing less. 

As i said above, it's my fault and is going to cost thousands of pounds for changing it to something else. My dealer can see my weakness as i'm retired and am sure will exploit me any way he can. The Lexus dealer near me has already eyed me up as a mug and wants to talk to me 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Personally i think my model the GR sport should have come with a warning with regards cambers and had it done so i would not have purchased it

The GR Sport has been on sale in the UK since January 2020 - so over 2 years - and, from memory, this is the first report on these forums of issues with the clearance. So probably not realistic to expect Toyota to issue warnings to prospective purchasers. 

As far as I'm aware the GR Sport doesn't have lowered suspension - differences from other Corollas are cosmetic.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The GR Sport has been on sale in the UK since January 2020 - so over 2 years - and, from memory, this is the first report on these forums of issues with the clearance. So probably not realistic to expect Toyota to issue warnings to prospective purchasers. 

As far as I'm aware the GR Sport doesn't have lowered suspension - differences from other Corollas are cosmetic.

As i said above, mike it's only the heads-up display i wonted, nothing else. Manufactures know nothing, as i said above. iv'e never met any manufacturer who understands how a product is used. it's all guess work, just like how the governments of the day treat people. i would run rings round the chief executive of Toyota with regards fine detail even thou on this occasion iv'e screwed up age is creeping up on me, i guess.

Oh, well, that's life take a hit and move on 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware the GR Sport doesn't have lowered suspension - differences from other Corollas are cosmetic.

Corolla GR Sport the suspension / running gear is the same as other Corolla, just styling tweaks.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/new-corolla-gr-sport/

 

The C-HR GR Sport does get stiffer suspension & tweaked steering.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/gr-sport-a-new-year-newcomer-for-the-toyota-c-hr-hybrid-suv-range/

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Corolla GR Sport the suspension / running gear is the same as other Corolla, just styling tweaks.

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/new-corolla-gr-sport/

 

The C-HR GR Sport does get stiffer suspension & tweaked steering.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/gr-sport-a-new-year-newcomer-for-the-toyota-c-hr-hybrid-suv-range/

 

 

i'm afraid that article is typical, as i'm sure the designer means well but forgot about where the car might be used. The Japanese roads are vastly superior to the UK roads, and would have not taken that into account. As i said above iv'e made an error, fools do 

at least i didn't pay the full price for the car, unlike some folk will have done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership