Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car making scraping noise when turning into our local garage

fourbanks

might be a steering issue, quite a few ppl hav enotice dhte car to make a scraping sound at full lock (ive only noticed it for a short period after heavy rainfall, could be corrossion on brake guards or the elctro-mechanical steering assitance

Scraping noise on full steering lock can occur from cv joints boots where inner ribs are touching and scraping each other while steering is on full lock. This noise can be reduced by spraying some silicone lubricant onto them. To check if it’s from them when turning just undo slightly the steering wheel and the noise will immediately disappear. This also can happen from tyres hedges making contact with road. But if all scraping noises comes with a sense of bottom of the car touching the ground then we are talking about completely different matter. 👍

I get a scraping noise from the brake discs if it rains overnight! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

The dealer and I have had a good look underneath the car and all is OK. As to that scraping noise, we have no idea 

I think thou, anyone who wishes to purchase the GR sport will need to understand that this fault on a camber might be a one off of which we will never know as to the cause. Or it may come about more regular and the design will need to be changed at some point 

21 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The dealer and I have had a good look underneath the car and all is OK. As to that scraping noise, we have no idea 

I think thou, anyone who wishes to purchase the GR sport will need to understand that this fault on a camber might be a one off of which we will never know as to the cause. Or it may come about more regular and the design will need to be changed at some point 

As far as I can remember your the only one that’s has complained about a noise on this forum.  Not saying you have not had the noise, just that it is not a common thing.  With new models I would imagine any problems brought forward by customers to the Toyota dealer will be reported back to Toyota Uk (in this case).

I was thinking more in the case of a bent brake back plate that catches on full lock get her with the change of suspension angles when on a camber.

35 minutes ago, Catlover said:

As far as I can remember your the only one that’s has complained about a noise on this forum.  Not saying you have not had the noise, just that it is not a common thing.  With new models I would imagine any problems brought forward by customers to the Toyota dealer will be reported back to Toyota Uk (in this case).

I was thinking more in the case of a bent brake back plate that catches on full lock get her with the change of suspension angles when on a camber.

Thanks, Joe. The brake backplate has a couple of manufactures bends in it if that's the part you are talking about. The  metal shield located at the back of the disc? 

On full lock, both left and right on level ground no noise 

1 minute ago, fourbanks said:

Thanks, Joe. The brake backplate has a couple of manufactures bends in it if that's the part you are talking about. The  metal shield located at the back of the disc? 

On full lock, both left and right on level ground no noise 

Any possibility you can record the noise and how exactly happens, the place you are driving. More information shared more likely someone to pinpoint the problem and suggested eventually a solution. Sometimes drivers experience can be as valuable as a mechanics one. 👍

Just now, TonyHSD said:

Any possibility you can record the noise and how exactly happens, the place you are driving. More information shared more likely someone to pinpoint the problem and suggested eventually a solution. Sometimes drivers experience can be as valuable as a mechanics one. 👍

Not really, Tony, it's not every time this happens. The brake discs are clean all round 

10 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

On full lock, both left and right on level ground no noise in going round and round 

This is the backplate 

IMG20220624190752_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Just now, fourbanks said:

Not really, Tony, it's not every time this happens. The brake discs are clean all round 

Ah, ok. These cars sometimes have noises that comes and goes from suspension, dashboard plastics etc. For,the front suspension typically there are some noises when going’s over bump’s either at turn or straight, when suspension is loaded then squeaking noise can occur. I found what causes that and a simple solution. All explained in Auris forum but I can’t find the post. The noise comes from the rear suspension arm bushing. They need some silicone spray and the car all quiet again. There were some issues with new Corolla recently on another member and the dealer discovered a faulty shock absorbers, replaced under warranty and problems disappeared. Problems like that happens and sometimes is more difficult to discover what exactly causes them. 

At the end of the day I paid £26'000 and today Lexus have said they will purchase the car if still unhappy for £26'000 

the ball is now in my court as to the way forward. i cant believe thou it's now over £30'000 for the GR sport 

they cannot be serious, for sure. 

If I go with the Lexus for £31'000 then i just get the basic UX model, a stripped down model to the corolla icon or icon tec 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

That's a good shout actually; I've had that on my Mk1 and Mk2 - No idea what caused it, but it was so hard to nail that down as the cause as it only happened when the car was on the ground at certain steering angles.

Nobody could find it as when it was jacked up, it never scraped no matter what steering angle it was at. (Had one place tell me the bearings needed replacing; Won't be going back there any time soon!)

Only figured it was the brake heat shields because my travelling mechanic had come across that issue before - He drove around for a bit to figure out which side, then just bent it away from the brake disc more with a crowbar :laugh: