Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Name of part ? Yaris Mk2


Recommended Posts

Hi folks, 

            It's been awhile. I received great help here on the site with my corolla. Folks have 

been very obliging so a big thanks  for that. I was replacing the horn on the missus'

recently bought Yaris Mk2 and come across this cross member full of rust. How the car passed it's test is anyone's 

guess ? Wondering if anybody can give me the name for this part of the car ? Is it common do you think for this type of rust for a 08 Car ? The bolts look  

quite accessible ? It's fairly pickled isn't it ? Thanks, Joe. 

 

image.thumb.jpeg.68aca5629c4fb26faa1186d24dfc01ef.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, 

this part is called REINFORCEMENT SUB-ASSY, FRONT BUMPER  and this is the part number :

52021-0D060

You can check with Toyota first for the price and then with eBay or any car parts shop be able to find one for you. 
Good luck 

https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=6972&area=EU&cat=116520&blk_id=5201

or you can buy from here https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=52021-0D060&sort_categories[0]=1566

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Joe144 said:

Brilliant Tony, thanks a million, very helpful. 

You are welcome 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow that is impressively rusty! :eek: 

I wonder how it got like that :confused1:  - I don't think that's normal for a Mk2...!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The horn looks good (sorry)! Even for an eighteen years old car that impressive (stolen word from Cyker) rot.:ohmy:

That's probably not easily visible to a tester. They don't remove stuff, e.g. wheels, trim etc..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Cyker said:

Wow that is impressively rusty! :eek: 

I wonder how it got like that :confused1:  - I don't think that's normal for a Mk2...!

It is impressive no doubt, the rest of the car is ok, actually the rest of the car is in in excellent condition and there is 80,000 miles on the clock so the reason was a bit taken a back and was wondering if there is a design fault with the grill etc. etc ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

The horn looks good (sorry)! Even for an eighteen years old car that impressive (stolen word from Cyker) rot.:ohmy:

That's probably not easily visible to a tester. They don't remove stuff, e.g. wheels, trim etc..

hahaha it does look good lol ..at least i got it working after i grounded it to the body, i was free floating it unconnected and i thought this doesn't seem to be working lol ! The guy i bought it from is a decent enough fellow and very local and has sold a couple of cars to my old man, not sure whether to tab him for the bill for the part and labour, although i sourced the part brand new for 50 euro so at least that's something, with the help of TonyHSD most grateful.  Does look weird though outstandingly rusty but at least we got a bit of safety with the horn !!! lol 👍

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This easily happens on cars that been taken only once on motorway drive during winter time when gritters are throwing tons of salt on the roads. Then after  the car been left without daily use or washed often or properly. Other way to happen is if an acid from the Battery had been leaked all over that part but my theory about the salt seems more likely in this particular case. Good to know you find the part and replacing it, this is there for safety. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Tony for throwing a bit of light on that, definitely something like that, like yourself, I would probably opt for the salt on the roads explanation,  as I say the rest of the car seems fairly reasonable for a car of it's age. Indeed @ safety. I suppose with the car being small enough to begin with, not sure how many stars it has in ncap but you need all safety features intact. Cheers !  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only just spotted that you are in the Irish Republic Joe.:rolleyes:

Is your vehicle inspection/safety test similar to our M.o.T.? Is it more or less thorough? e.g. closer inspection which could have spotted that weight reduction process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

I've only just spotted that you are in the Irish Republic Joe.:rolleyes:

Is your vehicle inspection/safety test similar to our M.o.T.? Is it more or less thorough? e.g. closer inspection which could have spotted that weight reduction process.

lol @weight reduction process hahaha. One or two things that might differ is the way in which the test is franchised out. So when I lived in London I'd go around the corner to the garage and a Greek Geezer would carry the work out, usually always involved something to be done, brakes and that but was always reasonable from what i remember. Here there are dedicated NCT test centres scattered around the country in all major towns etc. So you get about 4-6 mechanics any one time in a kind of conveyor belt situation. They are pretty thorough and pretty petty at times, having folks rebook for small stuff, then again they can be ok. The whole thing i think is franchised to some Spanish company and so there is a profit based motive too i suspect as there could be with the MOT as well. Now my car seller is known very well in the town lol cough cough lol so could be that too !!!  Anyway all i spotted was a few flakes of rust in the undertray so they are probably not on the look out specifically for such a weight reducing part lol. Cheers. 

Ps. Something I want to run by TonyHSD in particular. I'm on the look out for an OBD2 reader. Firstly is it ok to post on this topic or is there product placement issues etc. ? And if not would you have any advice in that department. I have the bog standard one which has been very good for a couple of codes i must say but i want something at least at intermediate level ...was thinking also of bluetooth such as autelap200 ? Thanks Tony sorry for involving you again ! 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you give more info about your Yaris? You've said it's a 2008 Mk2, but what is the engine code (something like 1NZ-FE) and the model code (something like NCP10), how many doors does it have (3 or 5) and is it manual or auto transmission

This info is all needed to be able to accurately identify the part you need

Sorry - just seen the rest of the answers on the topic, I guess you are sorted now 👍

Edited by YarisTsport
Hadn't seen the other replies in the thread
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Joe144 said:

lol @weight reduction process hahaha. One or two things that might differ is the way in which the test is franchised out. So when I lived in London I'd go around the corner to the garage and a Greek Geezer would carry the work out, usually always involved something to be done, brakes and that but was always reasonable from what i remember. Here there are dedicated NCT test centres scattered around the country in all major towns etc. So you get about 4-6 mechanics any one time in a kind of conveyor belt situation. They are pretty thorough and pretty petty at times, having folks rebook for small stuff, then again they can be ok. The whole thing i think is franchised to some Spanish company and so there is a profit based motive too i suspect as there could be with the MOT as well. Now my car seller is known very well in the town lol cough cough lol so could be that too !!!  Anyway all i spotted was a few flakes of rust in the undertray so they are probably not on the look out specifically for such a weight reducing part lol. Cheers. 

Ps. Something I want to run by TonyHSD in particular. I'm on the look out for an OBD2 reader. Firstly is it ok to post on this topic or is there product placement issues etc. ? And if not would you have any advice in that department. I have the bog standard one which has been very good for a couple of codes i must say but i want something at least at intermediate level ...was thinking also of bluetooth such as autelap200 ? Thanks Tony sorry for involving you again ! 

 

 

 

Hi Joe,
 I have been using Carista obd 2 reader in my 2010 Auris hybrid successfully. It helped me find and delete multiple faults on engine, hybrid system and speed sensor on wheel bearings. You can use it with their own app with subscription or with other third party apps free or paid. Here it is the adapter. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YVHGTBM?psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_57K4XH1GX1KN4VDQX471

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carly and Carista seem to be the main competing Smartphone-based ODB readers; You get a dongle and the apps provide basic diagnostics, with a free trial for the advanced stuff that then requires an annual subscription.

They're pretty good as they can access a lot of 'hidden' programming that previously would require a dealer visit. I have friend who's into BMWs and he loves being able to tweak all the hidden settings.

The support for german cars is better than japanese ones on that side of things tho'.

The dongles are fairly standard bluetooth ones and are also compatible with a lot of ODB apps like torque.

Just don't buy them without checking various car youtubers as most of them are sponsored by one or the other and usually have a discount code!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi Joe,
 I have been using Carista obd 2 reader in my 2010 Auris hybrid successfully. It helped me find and delete multiple faults on engine, hybrid system and speed sensor on wheel bearings. You can use it with their own app with subscription or with other third party apps free or paid. Here it is the adapter. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YVHGTBM?psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_57K4XH1GX1KN4VDQX471

Great Tony, thanks for sharing, i'll take a look at that one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Carly and Carista seem to be the main competing Smartphone-based odb readers; You get a dongle and the apps provide basic diagnostics, with a free trial for the advanced stuff that then requires an annual subscription.

They're pretty good as they can access a lot of 'hidden' programming that previously would require a dealer visit. I have friend who's into BMWs and he loves being able to tweak all the hidden settings.

The support for german cars is better than japanese ones on that side of things tho'.

The dongles are fairly standard bluetooth ones and are also compatible with a lot of odb apps like torque.

Just don't buy them without checking various car youtubers as most of them are sponsored by one or the other and usually have a discount code!

Thanks a million, good call on the discount code, never thought of it ! Cheers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found someone from US back in 2019-2020 who is into these phone car readers and he and his work shows Carista as number two favourite and number one is obd links ls, with faster bluetooth and Wi-Fi speeds something needed for more advanced hybrid system and hybrid Battery checks on latest hybrids. Since I have old hybrid Carista does the job for me ok , it’s cheaper and I like their app. I have paid £50 yearly subscription but saved me tons of money when I had those hybrid system malfunction and wheel sensor faults, therefore no regret 👌👍

https://priusapp.com/obd.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Since I have old hybrid Carista does the job for me ok , it’s cheaper and I like their app.

https://priusapp.com/obd.html

Cheers Tony, 

                     Sounds like you got the right tool for the job. Your car must be a fairly early hybrid ? Or have they been around a good while ? One of the drawbacks I fear is the connectivity of the bluetooth devices but perhaps it's not so bad these days. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, YarisTsport said:

Can you give more info about your Yaris?

Thanks all the Same John. Part is ordered and on the way hopefully.  👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership