Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicky Brake Pedal

venomx

Yes, me again, with another Yaris question 😁

I noticed recently, when braking at low speeds, when I apply the brake lightly, I hear and feel a slight clicking sound ( only once )

Pads, discs and calipers are basically brand new, no problems braking etc either.

It sounds to me that it's entirely inside the car and not outside at all. 

I fixed a clicky clutch pedal with some silicone lube, and quietened down a clicky steering wheel with some silicone. I was wondering if some lubrication on the areas I have attached in the picture could help ?

Thanks 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hi, If the click is coming from the brake lights switch not sure you can do anything to stop it. Also if it comes from leaver for the piston again, no solution. You can spray some silicone spray everywhere that can eventually clicks and see what happens. 

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, If the click is coming from the brake lights switch not sure you can do anything to stop it.

Yeah good point. Weird how it only started recently.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried some lubricating,  no luck. Think I'll have to live with this one 🙃

Trying to isolate where the noise comes from. Difficult as it only seems to happen when driving round, not stationary 

46 minutes ago, venomx said:

Trying to isolate where the noise comes from. Difficult as it only seems to happen when driving round, not stationary 

If the pads are loose fit when applying brakes a clicks can occur, especially when changing direction forward to reverse for example. 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If the pads are loose fit when applying brakes a clicks can occur, especially when changing direction forward to reverse for example. 

Thanks for the reply.

Pads/Disc and Caliper are pretty much brand new. There's no rattling at all, and the sound seems to be inside the car, not outside.

Checked the pads, doesn't seem to be any movement

Think it's best I take it to a mechanic and be safe 

Done some reading, this sounds like the issue...

tee.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, venomx said:

Done some reading, this sounds like the issue...

tee.png

Yes it could be 👍

• Thanks 1

Try lubricating brake pedal pins with a heaver oil not one out of a spray can I suggest a sewing machine oil or even engine oil.

Put a screwdriver into your can & use this as a driper applier if you have no small oil can.

Dont over do it you dont want any on the rubbers exspecially pedal rubbers.

If you feeling upto it lift seal covering piston shaft at its largest diamiter and try a drop or two on this.

Open window when testing to see if sound is any louder if it is problem is on wheels!.

In regards to these anti-rattle springs.
I know some cars have this style..
sososo.thumb.jpg.6295a9ca7aff25338b4c4ea9d3c43d7e.jpg

Mine however have these...
dododo.thumb.jpg.498d19cf687ec67490ddac9169ba8139.jpg

I'd assume they help stop the pad from moving ?
I'll be getting the clips as pictured above replaced this week. Hopefully sorts it out.

16 hours ago, venomx said:

I'll be getting the clips as pictured above replaced this week. Hopefully sorts it out.

Which ones, the bendy wire springs?

That article you posted probably refers to the type in the top picture, I suspect?

And, as you wrote on the 4th July, pads, callipers etc. are new.

6 hours ago, mrpj1 said:

Which ones, the bendy wire springs?

That article you posted probably refers to the type in the top picture, I suspect?

And, as you wrote on the 4th July, pads, callipers etc. are new.

Yeah the wire springs ( anti rattle springs )

Caliper, sliders, pads, discs are fairly new ( within the last year ) which leaves the springs. The article is the only thing I can find on the internet which matches exactly when the noise occurs

As I'm seeing the mechanic tomorrow, I'll get them to check everything looks ok etc

2 hours ago, venomx said:

Yeah the wire springs ( anti rattle springs )

Caliper, sliders, pads, discs are fairly new ( within the last year ) which leaves the springs. The article is the only thing I can find on the internet which matches exactly when the noise occurs

As I'm seeing the mechanic tomorrow, I'll get them to check everything looks ok etc

If the clicks comes from the pedal means it’s the pedal itself or the pump rod or pump itself. If the noise comes from outside then can be from the pads, shims etc. clicks also can come from suspension parts like bushes, stabiliser bar links , ball joints, if they have lube dried out or been worn out and metal to metal grinding happens when brakes are used. This also can happen  when stopping on one direction forward or reverse. 

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If the clicks comes from the pedal means it’s the pedal itself or the pump rod or pump itself. If the noise comes from outside then can be from the pads, shims etc. clicks also can come from suspension parts like bushes, stabiliser bar links , ball joints, if they have lube dried out or been worn out and metal to metal grinding happens when brakes are used. This also can happen  when stopping on one direction forward or reverse. 

Thanks  🙂

Seems like I can hear it inside and outside the car. Pump seems fine, as I've looked on YouTube to make sure it's functioning properly. It never makes the noise when stationary. I'll update with what the outcome is tomorrow

• Like 1

I get an audible click if i've reversed and then gone forward and applied the brakes, and vice vera.

Got the anti rattle springs replaced, noise still there. Not sure where to go next 

Think it started after giving the car a clean, however surely one clean won't remove any lubricant etc ?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally sorted ( I think )

Took it to the mechanic yesterday, they lubricated the pads, noise went for a few hours, returned today.

Had the pads replaced as according to them they were moving around in the caliper ! Had some decent ones instead of the cheap ones I had before, all ok now, will keep an eye on it

• Like 1

I'm glad it's sorted.:thumbsup:

I did reply to you elsewhere when the same issue was posted.

I know my answer could have been totally wrong, but, I quote,  "Unless, of course, they are some aftermarket tat and not Toyota/ATE.":ph34r::laugh: