Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking to buy a Toyota prius 2009-2011.

SorinC

Hello I am looking to get a Prius, but I am a bit confused about the GEN1,GEN2, GEN3? I am interested in the facelift model not the 2008 ones. What I should be aware of as in this period most of them are high mileage which I don't mind, as I will service it as soon as I am buying it and when inspecting it what I should be aware of ? 

Welcome to TOC.

What is your budget? Due to new car shortages, all manufacturers, used car prices are high.

basically gen3 was 2010 to 2016, slight mods during that period.                  
Gen4 was 2016 to current, again mods during that period.

I had a gen3 59 plate, 1.8 petrol engine, hybrid parts rock solid (basically all Toyota hybrid engineering has been solid since on uk market in 1999).              
I then had a 66 plate gen4, basically same engine and hybrid gear as gen3, but fresh design, and better mpg can be obtained.           
As any car, servicing is essential, quality oils and filter at the right time, or before.        
Due to lack of use the rear brake discs can corrode early.     
The hybrid Battery, under the back seat. The cells can be changed individually, so if one fails it can be replaced by either new or reconditioned cell.       
The e-cvt transmission is amazing. Does it’s job so smoothly.          
In almost 5 years of ownership of Toyota hybrid I had no serious problems, nor heard/read of serious problems EXCEPT for 1.8 engines around 2010. Some could be oil burners at around 100k miles due to faulty design of piston rings I believe. Toyota sorted, so most will now be ok, but always check just in case one or two slipped through the net.         
Do the normal checks and buy with confidence.      
my recommendation would be a gen4.

• Like 2

Hello Catlover,

Thanks for the reply my budget is around 5000£-6000£ at the moment, found quite a few in decent condition at that price, as I would not want to go any higher for the same car which would be a Gen 3, I have already ordered a Catlock just in case. 😄  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Welcome to TOC.

What is your budget? Due to new car shortages, all manufacturers, used car prices are high.

basically gen3 was 2010 to 2016, slight mods during that period.                  
Gen4 was 2016 to current, again mods during that period.

I had a gen3 59 plate, 1.8 petrol engine, hybrid parts rock solid (basically all Toyota hybrid engineering has been solid since on uk market in 1999).              
I then had a 66 plate gen4, basically same engine and hybrid gear as gen3, but fresh design, and better mpg can be obtained.           
As any car, servicing is essential, quality oils and filter at the right time, or before.        
Due to lack of use the rear brake discs can corrode early.     
The hybrid battery, under the back seat. The cells can be changed individually, so if one fails it can be replaced by either new or reconditioned cell.       
The e-cvt transmission is amazing. Does it’s job so smoothly.          
In almost 5 years of ownership of Toyota hybrid I had no serious problems, nor heard/read of serious problems EXCEPT for 1.8 engines around 2010. Some could be oil burners at around 100k miles due to faulty design of piston rings I believe. Toyota sorted, so most will now be ok, but always check just in case one or two slipped through the net.         
Do the normal checks and buy with confidence.      
my recommendation would be a gen4.

Informative and helpful post Joe 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SorinC said:

Hello Catlover,

Thanks for the reply my budget is around 5000£-6000£ at the moment, found quite a few in decent condition at that price, as I would not want to go any higher for the same car which would be a Gen 3, I have already ordered a Catlock just in case. 😄  

Hi, 

all usual checks for buying a used car plus specifically - 

double check condition of cat converter if original, replaced with oem or aftermarket and any eventual engine errors on dashboard.

Egr, valve and cooler, any history of been replaced or cleaned and when?

Check if AC is working and blowing ice cold air.

Check brakes for rust . 

Hybrid Battery cooling fan grill, rear seat backrest - check for dust and if there is a filter , also if the fan spins at higher speeds ., it will need cleaning. 

Under the car check for rust and oil leaks engine/transmission area.

Check exhaust end pipe  for soot, if rusty means engine performance is perfect, if oily means it’s an oil burner. 

Check engine oil if clean and dipstick if has any dirty residual marks like yellow-brownish colour, again signs of oil burning. 

Look at the tyres if all are the  4 same and how they are wearing, evenly or not.

Check boot area of the spare tyre, remove floors and go down to spare wheel well and look for traces of moisture or water, look at the hybrid Battery outer case for rusty spots, if any of these present, walk away. 

On test drive do not use music and listen for wheel bearings noises. Whining noises on slowing down are typical and humming noises on slow drive and acceleration, these are the sounds of electric motors spinning and regenerative braking. These are normal. 

That’s pretty much most important things to check. If you in doubt better take the car to someone ( mechanic, friend, or garage) who knows these cars for inspection, suggestion and general advice. 
Good luck 🤞

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for all the answers, got a 2009 gen3 really nice driving, altough i got an issue, how do i stop the freaking traffic announcements as i cant find the option or dont know where to look the system is the one with the touch screen