Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2023 Toyota RAV4 ...

philip42h

Looks interesting, especially:

"The user experience is seamless with the accompanying MyT smartphone app"

• Haha 2

Nothing significant really changed then. Probably a good thing as the core design would be very hard to improve upon ( except availability of course).

• Like 1

Apart from what sounds like even more mithering technology. 🤣

And this "Emergency Steering Assist is also newly provided"  so as well as randomly braking for no reason it's now going to randomly steer me into oncoming traffic.

Sadly, I can not even use the lane centre steering that’s currently on offer in my car. As I’ve indicated before pulls and steers to the left. Unless it’s been improved id not be happy switching on ‘emergency steering’.

It might have been better if they had asked owners what they would like to see in 2023 model My preference would have been for the digital rearview mirror and a head up display and a USB outlets in the rear view mirror cover for dashcams.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

And this "Emergency Steering Assist is also newly provided"  so as well as randomly braking for no reason it's now going to randomly steer me into oncoming traffic.

And randomly NOT braking when the ABS kicks in approaching a junction where the road surface is broken. Really unnerving to be gradually braking approaching a roundabout for the brakes to release - EEK!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ernieb said:

Looks interesting, especially:

"The user experience is seamless with the accompanying MyT smartphone app"

They would say that wouldn't they - perhaps ask a few owners about the current 'seamless' experience 😂.

• Haha 1

Agree Roger, ask owners what they want. My first choice would be wireless CarPlay. As for screen resolution I'm of the view that adequate is enough as my real focus is on the real world outside through glass. I also would treat the front seat passenger to as much seat comfort as the driver so adjustable lumbar support on both front seats. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger_N said:

It might have been better if they had asked owners what they would like to see in 2023 model

Then again, does any vehicle manufacturer do that?

Would prefer illuminated switches and spare wheel. 
Not really interested in my EV ratio as I drive along.

Does say wireless smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay® is featured as standard so a plus there 

11 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Very true Mike but with all the money they spend on design a simple email to users would be a good start to finding out what customers want, rather than them just assuming they know.

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would say they nearly all do it. They have "Focus" groups all around the world

No manufacturer throws a car together thinking that will do

You could not possibly email every customer to see what they want on a new model, it would take you a year to filter out all the responses due to volumes and the vast array of options. Decisions on spec/pricing are taken at the highest levels

Looks like still no wireless access for Android Auto!

'Smartphone integration with Android Auto® is available and for added convenience, wireless smartphone integration with Apple CarPlay® is featured as standard.'

An interesting range of responses with a trend towards a dislike for intrusive driver assistance in particular. Its ironic that as well as concentrating on the driving we now have to learn which features to turn off or override and which warning beeps it is safe to ignore. We also have to try to remember where various buttons are on the steering wheel, central display, and centre console without taking our eyes off the road; plus working out which, if any, voice commands are meaningful and useful. Then of course there is the conundrum of trying to decide whether there is an actual fault if something unexpected happens while in motion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I would say they nearly all do it. They have "Focus" groups all around the world

No manufacturer throws a car together thinking that will do

You could not possibly email every customer to see what they want on a new model, it would take you a year to filter out all the responses due to volumes and the vast array of options. Decisions on spec/pricing are taken at the highest levels

There are companies out there that would do the donkey work, as long as the survey is is done correctly a computer system would sort though it in very short amount of time. 

Back around 2011 Toyota did approach a selection of owners on the introduction of what became the Toyota Touch multimedia system. I was one of those who received quite a detailed survey as to what we wanted.

At the time some models were equipped with a USB socket and 3.5 jackplug socket (eg in my Auris it was in the glovebox) so could play music via a USB stick or media player.

As the system dispensed with a standard CD player, an option that Toyota were considering was having a CD player as a paid for option, mounted either in the glovebox or on the side of the centre console, depending on model.

Obviously the CD player option never materialised, and whether a majority of those surveyed didn't want to continue with a CD player or there were other factors, we shall never know.

So, at the end of the day, Toyota have:

• Updated the infotainment system - that was subject to almost universal criticism 😉
  • Introduced the "new digital combimeter" - which will be much cheaper to produce than the current two-dial and a MID system, and
  • Updated the Toyota Safety Sense functions - taking the next step towards autonomous driving

Oh, and added a new colour!

But they've got a hybrid recipe that works pretty well already so there's really no need to mess with it unduly. 🙂

Fiddling around the edges, nothing major just smoke and mirrors and work for the PR boys and girls.

I think these focus groups are sometimes like the crowd watching the King in the magic suit of clothes.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Fiddling around the edges, nothing major just smoke and mirrors and work for the PR boys and girls.

I think these focus groups are sometimes like the crowd watching the King in the magic suit of clothes.

Disagree, nothing like that at all, in any way 

I have no need, or desire, to ever say "Hey Toyota".

And EVERY driver aid should be switchable, none should be compulsory.

• Like 1

They talk about the third quarter being the implementation time.  Traditionally, European manufacturers updated their model year after the August shutdown.  Presumably that doesn't apply in Japan, so when do new model years generally come into production with Toyota?  It would be an irony if I had to wait for an extended lead time to delivery but still miss the MY23 updates!

Incidentally, when they transition to the new model year, would they still build my car as a Dynamic Premium, being that this model has now been dropped from the order system?  Likewise the colour - if they are introducing a new colour, they are likely dropping another.  Hopefully, they are not dropping Scarlet Flare Red (a colour!) for yet another monochrome option (I've had lots of them and want a change)...

59 minutes ago, Centaur said:

They talk about the third quarter being the implementation time.  Traditionally, European manufacturers updated their model year after the August shutdown.  Presumably that doesn't apply in Japan, so when do new model years generally come into production with Toyota?  It would be an irony if I had to wait for an extended lead time to delivery but still miss the MY23 updates!

Incidentally, when they transition to the new model year, would they still build my car as a Dynamic Premium, being that this model has now been dropped from the order system?  Likewise the colour - if they are introducing a new colour, they are likely dropping another.  Hopefully, they are not dropping Scarlet Flare Red (a colour!) for yet another monochrome option (I've had lots of them and want a change)...

If they have accepted an order for a MY22 car, that is typically what they will build for you, and they will delay production of MY23 cars until they've got through the backlog. You should get what you've ordered.

While they've dropped the Dynamic Premium as a specific grade, the PHEV is now available with a Premium pack option (just as the HEV always was). So anyone wanting a Dynamic Premium should now or a Dynamic with the Premium pack option.

If they were to honour an existing order, as they did with the Black edition, by building a car alongside the next MY grades then you'd stand half a chance of getting the best of both worlds. But since they stopped taking orders for MY22 cars a while back that isn't too likely to occur.

In terms of colour, the Dynamic is still two tone (if you like that sort of thing), and the only change I've spotted is the introduction of Platinum White Pearl - which, I guess, will simply replace the existing White Pearl ... 😉