Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key Fob lost inside Prius

JohnForever

The (only) key fob for my 2015 Prius is missing. I assume it is inside the car as the Start button works with no apparent fob. Is there a tool or electronic gizmo which will help track it down?

Interesting predicament 😃 

I'm not sure if there is a means of tracking the key fob, but someone will surely be along shortly to tell us.

My advice would be to completely search the car from one end to the other and I'm sure if it's there you will find it. Maybe you've already done this ?

Try the 'same thing trick'.  Remember the definition of stupid (not getting at you) is trying the same thing several times and expecting a different result? 

Make up a near identical set.  Put them on the car as you usually do.  Drive the car as you did last time you had the keys. 

My favourites, toss keys on passenger seat. 

Bounce over seat, slip between seat and console.  

Sit on keys and they disappear between back and squab. 

Try Tarot 😄. We lost a credit card.  The cards said it was in a stupid place.  Reported to French police who were not interested.  A few days later it popped up from the handbrake housing. 

It's a failing with keyless ignition not providing specific stowage for keys. Ditto phones and glasses cases. 

• Like 3

Too late now, but I have TILE devices on keys, wallet, purse etc.  Supposed to have Worldwide use but I am not convinced.  For local use though it works well. 

In the house, searching for the keys I can frequently find them in my wife's coat pocket or in the car as she never puts them in the same place twice. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

It's a failing with keyless ignition not providing specific stowage for keys. Ditto phones and glasses cases. 

I got pockets in my trousers, that’s where my keys went.

• Like 4

Moved to the Prius forum.

If and when the key is found, get a spare key done.

Also presumably as you cannot lock your car, you're voiding your insurance.

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I got pockets in my trousers, that’s where my keys went.

Same here, during the day they never leave my pocket.

• Like 1

Do they still make those keyrings that beep at you if you wolf-whistle? :laugh: 

I'd say the best course of action is to get a powerful torch and have a crawl around the car to try and find all the nooks and crannies it could have fallen into!

9/10 it'll be the gap between the seats and centre console/arm rest or under one of the seats.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate "keyless" cars. Nothing wrong with turning a key in the ignition.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links