Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Global Recall Notice

DíarmuidIRL

2 hours ago, Stivino said:

Bolts not studs, that is if the diagram is correct. 

59 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Either way they can not simply tighten up a lot more without changing the bolts themselves and or the hubs, or risking the bolts to snap while loaded in sharp turns , high speeds, faster acceleration and harder braking. 

Bolts on that model, NOT nuts 

"While a lug nut screws onto a threaded wheel stud that is attached to the hub, a lug bolt eliminates the need for a wheel stud. Its design allows the wheel and the brake rotor to be directly attached to the hub. Lug bolts are more often seen on European cars, appearing on brands such as Audi, BMW and Volkswagen.2 Mar 2021"

So European practice 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Oops, what was I thinking? 

7 hours ago, Parts-King said:

When you are dealing with a worldwide audience, you have to state the obvious, you can't be ambiguous, too many people would not know the consequences 

That's a very polite way of saying people are idiots :laugh: 

I have to say, any other manufacturer would wait for people to actually die before issuing a recall - The fact that Toyota would do a *worldwide* recall for something so seemingly minor I find very reassuring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's a very polite way of saying people are idiots :laugh: 

I have to say, any other manufacturer would wait for people to actually die before issuing a recall - The fact that Toyota would do a *worldwide* recall for something so seemingly minor I find very reassuring.

Taking the cynical view:

1 It’s a new car they can’t afford the bad publicity they are getting so have to do something quickly.

2 The numbers are very small, so costs are limited.

2 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Taking the cynical view:

1 It’s a new car they can’t afford the bad publicity they are getting so have to do something quickly.

2 The numbers are very small, so costs are limited.

Its likely both and also launched in the US two months ago and a very lawsuit happy place. I am happy this was caught now and will be sorted before anyone gets hurt. Then you'll be driving and always wondering if something isnt right

One thing is for sure, 

now everyone even those who never knew about this new ev will know about it. Any publicity is form of a an advertisement. Similar happened to Mercedes A-class back in the days when failed the moose test. Also Scotty Kilmer have a new moto: “Tighten up your bolts” instead of “rev up your engine “ 🔩😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile other manufacturers keeping failing bonnet catches and randomly fritzing ECUs quiet... :laugh: 

Report from the American NHTSA   
Three vehicles reported with the fault “Toyota received a field technical report from the Taiwan market indicating separation of the front left wheel from the vehicle. Toyota recovered the wheels and hub bolts from this vehicle for investigation. Toyota then received two field technical reports from the U.S. market.”

And Toyota have been able to replicate the problem in their own testing.

Seems to be only the left front wheel  

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RMISC-22V444-4456.pdf?fbclid=IwAR29xHjAMf1rmuFZdz2h_Yjs4NToQZMdwDvf0BrwzuONlPyTmrV_FABeiRo

RMISC-22V444-4456.pdf?fbclid=IwAR29xHjAM

Edited by Malop
Added link as well as embedded do
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:15 PM, Cyker said:

The fact that Toyota would do a *worldwide* recall for something so seemingly minor I find very reassuring.

I'd have thought a wheel coming off the car was more serious than a minor issue!

As this is affecting the Tundra as well - also a new model - I'm guessing that Toyota have been supplied with some dodgy hub bolts/nuts!

I'd rather have a car that is delayed but right, than a car that is a moving Guinee pig! 

Should have been having a test drive today , unfortunately cancelled as the bZ4X demo car has been “grounded” until the recall issue is fixed ☹️

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AndyRC said:

Should have been having a test drive today , unfortunately cancelled as the bZ4X demo car has been “grounded” until the recall issue is fixed ☹️

Its extremely rare for Toyota to ever put a driving ban on one of its products, last one I know of was 2010 & that was from the forklift side of the business. 

That happened to me once, but it must be nearly 30 years ago, I didnt do the bolts up tight enough on my Marina, couldn't figure out why it clanged when I changed direction, until I got out and saw the front wheel at an angle 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

That happened to me once, but it must be nearly 30 years ago, I didnt do the bolts up tight enough on my Marina, couldn't figure out why it clanged when I changed direction, until I got out and saw the front wheel at an angle 🤣

Better than seeing the front wheel tanking down the road. 😇

• Haha 3

Around three weeks and no news about this recall or any possible fix.

Maybe it's turned out to be a serious problem, could the vehicle even be withdrawn altogther ?

It’s only been two weeks, and production doesn’t restart for another week.

Obviously it affects sales, but as far as I know only about 200 cars have been delivered to customers, and only in the US.

Therefore I assume they’re taking time to get it right rather than rushing. They won’t want the recall to be any longer than it has to be. 

Additionally they may have identified the fix, but it might require new wheels, bolts or something else that takes time to source and ship.

Is this car ever going to be delivered ?