Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Global Recall Notice

DíarmuidIRL

8 minutes ago, Good girl said:

Is this car ever going to be delivered ?

Speak to Toyota Ireland.

4 hours ago, kingrikk said:

It’s only been two weeks, and production doesn’t restart for another week.

Obviously it affects sales, but as far as I know only about 200 cars have been delivered to customers, and only in the US.

Therefore I assume they’re taking time to get it right rather than rushing. They won’t want the recall to be any longer than it has to be. 

Additionally they may have identified the fix, but it might require new wheels, bolts or something else that takes time to source and ship.

Thansk for the info.

What does "production doesn’t restart for another week...." mean ?  i.e. there are new vehicles waiting at Toyota Derby, UK, are they affected by production not starting for another week ?

Irrespective of whatever the fix may be, is it realistic to assume none of these vehicles will see the light of day before August 2022, and potentially not until 2023 ?

Production in Japan doesn’t restart until 18th July because of parts availability issues. Therefore, I assume they are interested in fixing it before they start volume production again.

The vehicles already in Derby will need sorting obviously. I don’t think it’s going to take them five more months to fix the issue. But I hope to see a resolution this week. 

Production restart now pushed back another two weeks, partly to investigate the recall further.

In order to investigate the cause of the recall for a certain model, the production suspension of line #1 at the Motomachi Plant will be extended.”

On 7/8/2022 at 10:24 PM, lightboxcar said:

What does "production doesn’t restart for another week...." mean ?  i.e. there are new vehicles waiting at Toyota Derby, UK, are they affected by production not starting for another week ?

All models have been grounded until a solution has been sort, that means any in stock at dealers or at depot 

1 hour ago, kingrikk said:

Production restart now pushed back another two weeks, partly to investigate the recall further.

In order to investigate the cause of the recall for a certain model, the production suspension of line #1 at the Motomachi Plant will be extended.”

That sounds worrying. I would like to understand whether this is a material or manufacturing issues like a "bad" bolt/nut or poorly fitted or whether this is an unforeseen design issue that could drag out to who knows when. Starts to feel like the latter as they wording indicates they still dont have a solution.

28 minutes ago, swoop5511 said:

That sounds worrying. I would like to understand whether this is a material or manufacturing issues like a "bad" bolt/nut or poorly fitted or whether this is an unforeseen design issue that could drag out to who knows when. Starts to feel like the latter as they wording indicates they still dont have a solution.

Design issues perhaps. Good that it happened so early as they might need to replace hubs and bolts (nuts) on all existing cars. Only trouble is that adds to the waiting time even more. 

It could also be something with the line - eg something that drills some holes somewhere isn’t up to spec, or at least not the spec for this particular job. 

It's really bizarre that this is still going on; If it had been the EV stuff then I could understand but something as old and tried and tested as a wheel hub??

I really want to know what the actual problem is now!!

The only thing I can think of is it was underspecced and the ripping torque from the electric motors is somehow causing it to fail, but they have cars with far heavier torque delivery so this shouldn't be such a big issue to fix if that's all it is!

• Like 1

I’d guess it would be down to poor quality materials under stress.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Cyker said:

but something as old and tried and tested as a wheel hub??

I really want to know what the actual problem is now!!

Exactly so ... you'd think that wheel bolts are pretty well established and understood technology so it's very surprising that there is an issue at all. And, perhaps, that also explains why they are taking a little while to understand and sort the problem.

They talk about the wheel bolts becoming loose which suggests to an uneducated me that either they weren't torqued up correctly in the first place (and that would have been resolved in minutes) or that the wheel bolts are perhaps undersized in relation to the holes in the hub so that they can vibrate loose?

As you say, "I really want to know what the actual problem is". 🙂

It's either going to be down to poor design ( unlikely ) or poor manufacturing ( more likely ) 

6 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

It's either going to be down to poor design ( unlikely ) or poor manufacturing ( more likely )

And if it’s the latter, it could also be down to legal issues between whoever manufactured the faulty part and Toyota. 

I just can't see why it's been such a hard thing to fix!

If unscrewing, simple - Use more loctite, a nylock or drill a hole through it and have a retaining pin!

If shearing off, make the part thicker or use stronger steel!

It's a wheel hub! It can't be that hard surely??

15 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If unscrewing, simple - Use more loctite, a nylock or drill a hole through it and have a retaining pin!

Nordlock washers would be a much better option.

Please read this article 😔 bad news for all of us who is waiting delivery for bZ4X:

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/there-s-more-bad-news-2023-subaru-solterra-ev-customers

It sounds like an easy fix but apparently not. A new report from Seeking Alpha says all of the first Solterra and bZ4x models that rolled off the assembly line cannot be fixed. The report says Toyota states that there is no remedy to cure the faulty wheels available at this time, and customers will receive a free replacement vehicle pending a resolution of the problem.

19 minutes ago, bZ4X said:

cannot be fixed

Should read cannot be fixed at this time.

There’s a lot of social media press click baiting off that article. The detail behind it is the same as the original recall notice. Toyota found a problem, took the BZ4X off the road and funded a loan vehicle to existing customers while they investigate the issue and find a fix.

Toyota haven’t made any further announcements since that recall, which is frustrating on it’s own but not the same as the cars being unfixable.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bZ4X said:

Please read this article 😔 bad news for all of us who is waiting delivery for bZ4X:

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/there-s-more-bad-news-2023-subaru-solterra-ev-customers

It sounds like an easy fix but apparently not. A new report from Seeking Alpha says all of the first Solterra and bZ4x models that rolled off the assembly line cannot be fixed. The report says Toyota states that there is no remedy to cure the faulty wheels available at this time, and customers will receive a free replacement vehicle pending a resolution of the problem.

It really doesn’t say that. I suggest you read the source and stop spreading clickbait. 

48 minutes ago, kingrikk said:

It really doesn’t say that. I suggest you read the source and stop spreading clickbait. 

I hope, you are right 😔. Some people expect to bz4x delivery with 3 months delay because of this problem.

I hope it’s not going to be longer than 2 mth delay or people will start asking for their deposits back.  

11 hours ago, Good girl said:

I hope it’s not going to be longer than 2 mth delay or people will start asking for their deposits back.  

Only if they have a viable alternative that could be secured earlier?

13 hours ago, Good girl said:

It will be very embarrassing for Toyota, however, people asking for their deposits back is very minor in the scheme of things, I would sooner they pay deposits back than have wheels fall off after taking delivery 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Good girl said:

All manufacturers are pretty much in the same boat. I know people who have been waiting for close to a year to just to get a firm delivery date for Kia's EV models. 

• Like 2

On 7/11/2022 at 4:52 PM, Cyker said:

The only thing I can think of is it was underspecced and the ripping torque from the electric motors is somehow causing it to fail, but they have cars with far heavier torque delivery so this shouldn't be such a big issue to fix if that's all it is!

Electric motors are unlikely to be the issue. Brakes have always been able to produce greater torque. 

Sure someone could have specced something wrong but this is a maths issue and would have been checked over multiple times. More likely, materials, which would mean they have to trace it back through their supply chain. Is it a parts manufacturing issue or raw materials?

Regardless of if this is a maths or materials problem there are so many implications that follow. How much of current inventory is affected? What certifications are affected? What needs to be recertified? Do we need a whole new 'rev B' part number? How do we train the dealerships to retrofit the fix (if at all)? And then you have the small matter of PR and communicating everything to the wider world. 

A fix may be simple in itself, but implementing it in a global manufacturing, sales and distribution channel is a little more work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, Trewithy said:

Whoever issued that statement must have a degree in stating the obvious.

He or she will be one of those consultants the public employ.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links