Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Global Recall Notice

DíarmuidIRL

Good timing from CarWOW? Release a comparison video in the middle of a global release of one of the models, or just coincidence?

I hate it when manufacturers cant be bothered to hide the forward facing radar sensor - those small plain squares / shapes you see in the lower middle of the grills of a lot of different cars just shouts cheap & lazy design.

Must admit it doesn't bother me as much as touchscreens that look like they've literally been just jammed in as an afterthought rather than designed into the dash!

1 hour ago, Malop said:

Good timing from CarWOW? Release a comparison video in the middle of a global release of one of the models, or just coincidence?

I thought the BZ4x sold itself quite well. As most of you know, def a bias (some well deserved) against Toyota and that is reflected in some commentary and review

• Like 1

I think in general the reviews have been favourable everywhere except in those places that were already biased against - either because of some Tesla love or a focus on features that generally aren’t that important. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malop said:

It might pay to look at the Lexus RZ which is out shorty, although the wait time will be long, that i do know. Price wise £50'000 to £60'000 

34 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

might pay to look at the Lexus RZ

Since it’s based on the same etnga platform it’s possible it has the same wheel problem, but Lexus won’t have to reveal that if Toyota get a fix out. Might delay manufacturing though. 

Seems the wheels have come off Toyota Manufacturing, everything about the BZ4X seems to relate a rushed, untested, botch job.......if you ever try to drive one the steering wheel blocks the drivers cockpit....in all positions and then beeps at you because your hand is holding the steering wheel and blocking line of sight to the drive.....who wants to pay 50K for a car you can't  see your cockpit.....the wife who sat in the passenger seat repeatedly told me to watch my speed because I couldn't see the cockpit..............poor botch job from Toyota.......no where near the competition offering!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Billing said:

Seems the wheels have come off Toyota Manufacturing, everything about the BZ4X seems to relate a rushed, untested, botch job.......if you ever try to drive one the steering wheel blocks the drivers cockpit....in all positions and then beeps at you because your hand is holding the steering wheel and blocking line of sight to the drive.....who wants to pay 50K for a car you can't  see your cockpit.....the wife who sat in the passenger seat repeatedly told me to watch my speed because I couldn't see the cockpit..............poor botch job from Toyota.......no where near the competition offering!

100% agree.  Was originally designed with the YOKE instead of a regular steering wheel.  Once the steering wheel became a thing, the driver information display should have been adjusted to a better position for viewing.

And while I'm ranting, the lack of information (and possibly lack of speed) of this recall, especially to those that have taken possession of the BZ (in the US for example) really sucks.  Toyota has really dropped the ball on this one.

I find it fascinating hearing people moan about the dial cluster position all the time. I thought it was fantastic. As good as a heads up display, clear, simple, easy to see. No issue with sight lines at all, and when I’m driving all I really need to see is speed and maybe eco/charge dial.

On the test drive the driver monitor did beep at me, but I was looking down trying to find the aircon button at the time, so it kinda had a point. 

• Like 1

Must be about a whole month or more now since the recall, and no news seems available at all, nothing 

Maybe this vehicle is doomed and they will all be crushed or used for recycling ?

13 hours ago, kingrikk said:

I find it fascinating hearing people moan about the dial cluster position all the time. I thought it was fantastic. As good as a heads up display, clear, simple, easy to see. No issue with sight lines at all, and when I’m driving all I really need to see is speed and maybe eco/charge dial.

On the test drive the driver monitor did beep at me, but I was looking down trying to find the aircon button at the time, so it kinda had a point. 

It really does depend on your physical characteristics, height, reaching driving position as to how much of the MID is seen or lost.  When we looked at the Subaru Solterra I found that the MID was cut off part way when the driving position was adjusted for me, my wife who's shorter, less arm reach found she could see the MID more or less OK.

I tend to agree with the view that having spent a lot of money designing the car display system that they should be accessible for the vast majority of users, this does not appear tone the case with the conventional steering wheel.

• Like 1

Just in case you’re not following the updates from USA owners elsewhere, they got letters from Toyota offering additional compensation. 
No details of timelines for a fix and no details on the recall.

Still leaves us in the UK and lots of other Americans in the dark over when we’ll get our cars.

I phoned Toyota UK today, they confirmed my car was still showing mid August delivery to dealer but also confirmed no fix for the recall issue. Finally got the person on the phone to admit it was likely they’ll be giving me a new date soon but they didn’t know when or what that new date will be.

E9C56042-846E-4E76-B22F-6887F68069A2.jpeg

I feel like it’s pretty clear at this point they’re either remanufacturing wheels or hubs. 

9 hours ago, kingrikk said:

I feel like it’s pretty clear at this point they’re either remanufacturing wheels or hubs. 

And when they have done that they will have to be tested, re type approved (probably a mini process) and then put through some testing to ensure that a recurrence of the failure does not happen again. I honestly do not think it’’s just as simple as make new parts and away we go. The various county organisations will also what/need to be involved when the first deliveries are made.

I think that’s what frustrates me the most on this Ernie. It’s not Toyota's first recall, the process is known and understood but it’s total radio silence from Toyota. If they’d explained it just as you have above and perhaps given an indicator of which stage they are in then I’d have more confidence in getting the car. 
At the moment I could be getting my car next week (doubtful), this month, next month, this year or next year and I have no idea which. I’m currently without a car (agreement ran out on old one) and will have to sort out a short term rental, but if I sign up now and I get the BZ4X this month I will have overpaid on the rental.

This is the company that developed the Toyota Production System, revolutionised car manufacturing globally and made car production predictable but they don’t seem to be able to talk to their customers about a recall.

Unfortunately the lack of comms probably comes down to three things:

- They’re a listed company on four stock markets and have to stick to four sets of rules about insider trading etc. (Tesla is too, but the boss doesn’t care.)

- So are Subaru

- Do companies usually issue an update between Recall and Remedy? There are procedures in at least US, JP, UK and EU to follow…

Don’t get me wrong, I am also waiting for my car (although I still have a car) and am annoyed at the lack of updates, but I am less surprised about the lack of updates if that makes sense. 

How many customers have actually taken delivery here in the UK?

If handover hasn't occured then technically the delivery is delayed - just like many other manufacturers new vehicles.

DVSA says there are 412 vehicles affected.

Screenshot_20220802-085557.png

I don't think any have been handed over to customers, those vehicles will be Demo/fleet/Press cars

• Like 1

Very few vehicle manufacturers actually update customers on the progress of updates until a solution is found to correct the issue - so its a matter of waiting until a fix is found or not. 412 vehicles are affected in the UK - probably most are dealer demonstrators, etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Malop said:

I think that’s what frustrates me the most on this Ernie. It’s not Toyota's first recall, the process is known and understood but it’s total radio silence from Toyota. If they’d explained it just as you have above and perhaps given an indicator of which stage they are in then I’d have more confidence in getting the car. 
At the moment I could be getting my car next week (doubtful), this month, next month, this year or next year and I have no idea which. I’m currently without a car (agreement ran out on old one) and will have to sort out a short term rental, but if I sign up now and I get the BZ4X this month I will have overpaid on the rental.

This is the company that developed the Toyota Production System, revolutionised car manufacturing globally and made car production predictable but they don’t seem to be able to talk to their customers about a recall.

I can certainly understand your frustration Paul and the cost implications for you.

I watch the NHK (Japan) world news frequently to get another view on life and they are still struggling with covid, poor weather systems and supply chain problems. Sadly, it’s a perfect storm situation and the uncharacteristic major problem on release of a new car has for once got Toyota wrong footed. 

Dealer called me this week and told me that it would be November at the earliest for BZ4X collection. The car is currently at Burnaston.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rootraker said:

Dealer called me this week and told me that it would be November at the earliest for BZ4X collection. The car is currently at Burnaston.

All of the bZ4X and Solterra models built for the UK so far are at Derby - I imagine that they might start struggling to store other cars there!

Clearly they need to fix all cars before giving them to customers.

I've asked my dealer to go through the cancellation process with me tomorrow. 

The car is in Derby but I don't want to wait months for a solution and will instead jump on any free stock of alternatives that happen to appear. 

5 hours ago, rootraker said:

That would make it over four months since the June 23 recall.  Seems to suggest this is a serious and complex problem, a major design flaw.

Am sure this will be making many people decide against purchasing this vehicle , seems a terrible shame as it was such a promising model...

Cetainly will now be looking at an alternative