Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Global Recall Notice

DíarmuidIRL

8 hours ago, Nixy said:

It's insane this "wheels fall off" saga. Toyoda should fire anyone and all involved "with this part of the project. How could the screw their reputation so badly so easily? 

So you'd fire the people who now have knowledge of their fallibility and replace them with people who still think they are infallible?

No.

You should only get rid of people who make mistakes if they are clearly failing to learn from them.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

I just wish they'd put out a press statement or something to tell people what's happening if it's something as trivial as this. The silence just makes it seem like there is something catastrophically wrong with the car they're trying to cover up.

Ah but that's a classic dilemma:

* Rush out an explanation which is shown to be inaccurate as the investigation progresses. Get a roasting from people saying you don't know what you're doing.

* Wait until you have all the facts before giving a full and accurate explanation. Get a roasting from people saying you're covering something up.

Given that people will give you a roasting either way it seems sensible to go with option 2 since that means less effort and will probably give the detractors less ammunition.

• Haha 2

The ol' you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't! I know it well...!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingrikk said:

I mean this does fit the suggestion that they’ve stopped that line because it’s a line problem. I think there was a consensus that “couldn’t” be the case due to the following wording in the US report:

”Toyota reviewed the production process at the vehicle assembly plant and did not identify any abnormalities on the hub bolt tightening history of these three vehicles. Toyota also reviewed the assembly process of the wheel and hub bolts at the assembly plant and did not identify any abnormalities. …Toyota continued to investigate and conducted a driving test using mass production wheels and hub bolts that were tightened to specification. The testing showed that the hub bolts loosened under certain severe driving patterns.”

I’m not disagreeing with you, I think it’s a likely possibility. Just explaining why random people around Internet forums had discounted it. 

Is that a Toyota report or from some third party? I hadn't seen that...

And you can totally disagree with me! Most of my posts contain no facts and are mostly BS and opinion so it's fine, almost expected that I'll be wrong at least some if not most of the time! :laugh: 

This forum's all about polite disagreement half the time, which is good as that's the best way to learn new things rather than be stuck holding the same uninformed opinion all the time.

(It's a lot nicer here than other places I've been where deviating from established opinion/"fact" just leads to your parentage being questioned and declared to be from a variety of unlikely animal species... :laugh: )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is that a Toyota report or from some third party? I hadn't seen that...

That’s from the Defect Information Report found here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2023/TOYOTA/BZ4X#recalls

And I totally agree that’s it’s a good way to learn things, and also why I don’t think anything is out of scope until they eventually tell us!

• Like 1

Clearly no one here is a caravanner. If caravan manufacturers adopted only 50% of Toyota’s approach to QC they would be 100 times better. Just to list some of the regular faults from a multitude of brands in recent years: breaking axles (supplied by Alko who denied liability); bulkheads inadequately secured (numerous but at least there was a recall); shower sealant missing (this has gone on for years); furniture fixings shaking loose, glass cooker tops coming off while travelling and breaking; plumbing leaks due to not sealing waste pipe connections; leaking and warping sun roofs; I could go on….. So, I agree with those who take the view that Toyota are dealing with this in a responsible manner and does not negatively affect my view of the brand (at least not in the way some other aspects of their cars do). 

• Like 1

Well, there’s 4 more days of shutdown at the beginning of September and my car is now showing as 1st November instead of the previous 16th September. 

14 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Given that people will give you a roasting either way it seems sensible to go with option 2 since that means less effort and will probably give the detractors less ammunition.

There are people on here that want employees sacking, probably also hung drawn and quartered too 😂😂 and this actually before we know IF the vehicle was faulty OR just some piece of equipment that failed, we will find out in the end no doubt

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Clearly no one here is a caravanner. If caravan manufacturers adopted only 50% of Toyota’s approach to QC they would be 100 times better. Just to list some of the regular faults from a multitude of brands in recent years: breaking axles (supplied by Alko who denied liability); bulkheads inadequately secured (numerous but at least there was a recall); shower sealant missing (this has gone on for years); furniture fixings shaking loose, glass cooker tops coming off while travelling and breaking; plumbing leaks due to not sealing waste pipe connections; leaking and warping sun roofs; I could go on….. So, I agree with those who take the view that Toyota are dealing with this in a responsible manner and does not negatively affect my view of the brand (at least not in the way some other aspects of their cars do). 

You need look no further than some of the car manufacturers who have issues relatively recently, both Ford and Vauxhall have had issue with burning cars and denied responsibility until pushed hard, look at the tumble dryers that have spontaneously burst into flames burning not just the appliance but the homes.

Whilst I agree it’s frustrating not knowing but I’d rather wait than  have a car delivered that will more or less be right.

The Toyota manufacturing system, 6 sigma/Dr Edwards Deming based, is world renowned and copied extensively. They will certainly not be sacking people but once the issue is isolated and overcome and retested/approved the whole company processes will be reviewed and updated and where necessary people will be retrained.

When the car that eventually hits the market will be well up to the Toyota standards.

• Like 3

So my dealer just rang me and told me what I knew - November is the new date, they expect a letter by the end of the month, and he basically suggested that they’re “ready to go” again - presumably after those extra few days of shutdown. 

3 hours ago, kingrikk said:

So my dealer just rang me and told me what I knew - November is the new date, they expect a letter by the end of the month, and he basically suggested that they’re “ready to go” again - presumably after those extra few days of shutdown. 

Finger crossed, I hope this will be the last delay! 😔

The issue is a problem with the wheel nuts according to the guy I spoke to today. No indication as to when they can be ordered (or if ordered delivered)