Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top scores in Hybrid Coaching?

DavidinDerbyshire

Settling in with my 2019 Rav 4 Hybrid Excel and now that CarPlay is fixed enjoying the new car/computer relationship and in particular the ratings on Hybrid Coaching. Is anyone keeping scores?  I had a 90/100 last week on a run from Basingstoke to Blandford which is my highest yet but I do complain when I get a red ring for not slowing down gently at traffic lights when the lights change as I get up to the line ! Though I have to admit my weekly average for last week was only 77.  Great for causing marital dischord, though!

Past week = 88; past month = 91; past year = 85. But TBH it is pretty much a random number - more reflective of the traffic conditions than how I tend to drive. I tend to drive reasonably gently anyway - I'm too old to rush about unnecessarily and prefer to 'anticipate' and slow down in a measured fashion, but one rather needs to drive to the road conditions and in 'harmony' with what other drivers are doing which occasionally means a rather hard brake or swift acceleration to get out of the way!

I don't know about others but after the first few months it's just another toy to play with as and when you want ... 😉

• Like 4

I've hit 99 driving from Carlisle down to Birmingham on the M6, very early in the morning with very little traffic. I managed 100 a few days before, but that was on a <400 yd drive, so doesn't really count!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

I'm too old to rush about unnecessarily and prefer to 'anticipate' and slow down in a measured fashion, but one rather needs to drive to the road conditions and in 'harmony' with what other drivers are doing which occasionally means a rather hard brake or swift acceleration to get out of the way!

Hi all......in other words "Go With The Flow" my sentiments exactly.......Barry Wright, Lancashire.

• Like 1

I have had 97 on a long drive however realistically it varies from 65 when the steering committee is driving to typically 85-90 for me. Given all the variables it is like discussing mpg, difficult to compare and say what is or isn’t a good score. 

• Like 1

Cracked 80+ mpg over 8 miles, average 23 but then held up at traffic lights.  Return 74 over 21 miles at 37.

Very definitely warm weather benefit

• Like 3

Hi, as the topic doesn't specify if it is for a PHEV only, I will stick my nose in for a HEV 17 plate: Average per tank is getting regularly 45, the best once was 48. As some of you said when I've got here, had to re-learn how to drive this thing 😄

5 minutes ago, Smani said:

Hi, as the topic doesn't specify if it is for a PHEV only, I will stick my nose in for a HEV 17 plate: Average per tank is getting regularly 45, the best once was 48. As some of you said when I've got here, had to re-learn how to drive this thing 😄

The topic is about Hybrid Driver Scores and the OP drives a HEV ... it's not about MPG so the PHEVies can reasonably play too! 🙂

But, there seems to be very little correlation between Hybrid Driver Score and economy. Over two legs of the same journey, my wife returned a HDS of 99 and 37 mpg while I (or rather radar cruise) managed an HDS of 85 and 48 mpg - both legs were of the order of 100 miles along UK motorways ...

I doubt that looking at HDS on single journeys is really meaningful - if we want a league table we'd need to work with averages over a month at least. But, TBH, it would be more 'fun' to see who can get the lowest HDS on a single trip over 30 miles, say. :devil2:

(no, I'm not being serious ... 😉 )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just as a point of interest my last 114 mile single trip, PHEV, gave a hybrid score of 95.  Fairly easy as the constant speed section is mostly using ACC and driving on a motorway,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

The topic is about Hybrid Driver Scores and the OP drives a HEV ... it's not about MPG so the PHEVies can reasonably play too! 🙂

But, there seems to be very little correlation between Hybrid Driver Score and economy. Over two legs of the same journey, my wife returned a HDS of 99 and 37 mpg while I (or rather radar cruise) managed an HDS of 85 and 48 mpg - both legs were of the order of 100 miles along UK motorways ...

I doubt that looking at HDS on single journeys is really meaningful - if we want a league table we'd need to work with averages over a month at least. But, TBH, it would be more 'fun' to see who can get the lowest HDS on a single trip over 30 miles, say. :devil2:

(no, I'm not being serious ... 😉 )

Oh, sorry. Totally misunderstood the topic.  Didn't even looked into the score on mine yet.  On the previous car, a diesel, it had something similar called ecodrive score displaying green leaves as less or more eco friendly drive.  Will have a look into what I have been doing. As mentioned, had to re-learn how to drive this thing.👍 

Philip, my wife can't get the hang of CC so drives manually.  I use ACC when I can. 

Over two similar trips we both got around 90.  

My main coaching lessons are accelerating and braking at a roundabout. 

Joining a high speed dual carriageway with no prejoining visibility you have to enter the slip at a slow speed to allow a fast mover in lane 1 to pass then enter lane 1 as traffic moves out to  lane 2, then accelerate to avoid being trampled by the next truck in lane 1.

In the case of the roundabout, a coasting approach is often not possible with traffic following and harder braking if your entry is baulked. 

I would guess most people would experience this. 

• Like 3

I get pretty random scores from 75 to the 90's however I really keep more of an eye on my Miles per kWh which remains at 3.2. I don't know yet about petrol consumption as I haven't actually used any in my nearly 800 miles.

• Like 1

I am on 3kw/h on a PHEV - what are other PHEV drivers getting? 

Mine is 3.3m/kwh and has been that for over 9 months now.

I'm at 3.6m/kWh but reset it occasionally so it's currently an average of warmer weather. It was 2.8m/kWh at times over the winter, so probably similar to others over the long term.

When I first got the car May/June ‘21 I was getting 3.8 typically.

I live at altitude so I guess people getting the really high scores must live in flatter areas. I can really see the miles eat up on return home, very slow burn on the way out. Also the reason we have e-bikes because it's always the getting home uphill that is the challenge.

• Like 1

Going up steep hills does chew up the Battery range but the regen on the way down can add range, big net loss unfortunately.

Surely Toyota has this data for all users of MyT.  Could they not provide anonymised data in the form or "league tables" by vehicle type, age etc. 

• Like 1

It would get very complicated as driving style, temperature, topography etc., all make a massive difference to actual range. With the PHEV you would need to consider how often you were able to run on pure EV from power derived from a wall/pod charger.

On 6/23/2022 at 7:02 PM, Roy124 said:

My main coaching lessons are accelerating and braking at a roundabout. 

Similarly, for me it is traffic lights which provoke the red button but I put that down to me braking harder in order to stop rather than proceed on amber which almost everyone else seems to do...when they're not going through on red which is the norm in North Derbyshire. The "teacher" on Hybrid Coaching says "slow down earlier" which is fine if you haven't got someone up your bum tailgating !

On 6/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, NASY said:

I get pretty random scores from 75 to the 90's however I really keep more of an eye on my Miles per kWh which remains at 3.2.

I can't find that reading on the app. I presume (without going out to the car in the rain) that it's a figure from the in-car readings?  But what is odd is the lack of relationship between mpg and driver score. I just did a 4.5 mile journey and got 71.5mpg but a driver score of only 72.   Given the price of juice I'll be more concerned about mpg than any other readings!

23 minutes ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Similarly, for me it is traffic lights which provoke the red button but I put that down to me braking harder in order to stop rather than proceed on amber which almost everyone else seems to do...when they're not going through on red which is the norm in North Derbyshire. The "teacher" on Hybrid Coaching says "slow down earlier" which is fine if you haven't got someone up your bum tailgating !

Saw on some website or other a rear bumper sticker which said to the effect:

"SORRY FOR DRIVING SO CLOSE IN FRONT OF YOU"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Saw on some website or other a rear bumper sticker which said to the effect:

"SORRY FOR DRIVING SO CLOSE IN FRONT OF YOU"

Like it! But I already have one that says live rear view camera in use. Doesn't seem to put many off tailgating. And the camera has already been used to show police some hideous driving....along with the front view after they've overtaken.  That one on the BBC news pages at the weekend showing a white van overtaking and then killing a 78 year old car driver in a head on smash was extreme driver-!Removed!. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Like it! But I already have one that says live rear view camera in use. Doesn't seem to put many off tailgating. And the camera has already been used to show police some hideous driving....along with the front view after they've overtaken.  That one on the BBC news pages at the weekend showing a white van overtaking and then killing a 78 year old car driver in a head on smash was extreme driver-!Removed!. 

Rhymes with corn