Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 / 2009 / 2010 dash style

brutus-1965

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 2009 onwards diesel Yaris but am confused by the trim levels.  Is there an easy basic to best list to guide me please.

Also when I look at dash photos of models around 2008 - 2010 I see a difference in the dash style.  The earlier models seems to have a green dash while the 2009 (ish) models have an amber style dash, BUT having said that I can also find some 2010 models with a green dash.

Does this mean there was a facelift around 2009 and what I am seeing is some old manufactured models being registered late ?

I 'MIGHT' even be tempted with a mk3 high mileage model which falls into the price range of a low mileage mk2 model.

Thanks

There were three changes in 2008/9:

March 2008 - TR grade replaced T3.  SR trim introduced for the 1.3 and 1.4D4D

February 2009 - facelift re-engineered with revised front and rear styling. Introduction of the 1.33 engine with six speed gearbox to replace 1.3. Revised grades - T2, TR, SR and T-Spirit.

July 2009 - range and equipment adjustments and SR dropped

• Like 2

2009 is around the major change for the dash style; Prior to that all of them had a digital dashboard similar to the Mk1 (Apart from the 'sportier' SR IIRC).

I picked a 2009 Mk2 specifically because that's the only year you can get the newer 100HP 1.33VVTi engine, steel rims, and a digital dashboard.

After 2009 (Well, maybe some early 2010 models), Toyota changed all the dashboards to use old-fashioned analogue dials for some reason.

The trim levels still had a fairly sane progression back then - T2, TR, T-Spirit, and they had some optional add-on packs that gave things like bump strips and protection plates, reverse parking sensors, rear discs and traction control so look out for those features when shopping around.

IIRC the main difference between T-Spirit and TR was climate control and keyless entry (There were other things but they were minor IIRC).

I would also be careful and do your research - The diesel ones have the best engine IMHO; It's the fastest, most engaging to drive, and has the best fuel economy.

However, later models they fitted DPFs and dual-mass flywheels to them - If you can, try and get one that doesn't have those things as they greatly reduce the long-term reliability of the car.

The 5-speed ones are safe, I think it was only the 6-speed ones and onwards, but the options and specs get really jumbled up 2009 and onwards as it seemed like Toyota was changing them every 6 months so it's hard to know off the top of my head!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

However, later models they fitted DPFs and dual-mass flywheels to them - If you can, try and get one that doesn't have those things as they greatly reduce the long-term reliability of the car.

The 5-speed ones are safe, I think it was only the 6-speed ones and onwards, but the options and specs get really jumbled up 2009 and onwards as it seemed like Toyota was changing them every 6 months so it's hard to know off the top of my head!

Thanks for your words.

So am I reading this right; the 6 speed is dual mass ?  From past experience I know when the dual mass goes down the costs go up 😞

My last 2.2 d4d Avensis started to experience dual mass failure and thankfully didnt have DPF so I could simply blank off the EGR allowing it to sail throughg MOT's

Honestly I can't say with certainty - All I know is 2009 is when they started touting this Toyota Optimal Drive thing and started bolting stuff like that on - I assumed when they put on the 6-speed, that also had the DMF and DPF, but I've been told that's not the case and it was  only later models, so now I'm no longer sure...!

It does have an EGR, but I think they worked out most of the problems with that with the Mk1 D4D, as I don't recall many people posting about EGR problems with the Mk2's.

We've had enough people with DPF and DMF issues that I wouldn't get one unless all I did was motorway and A-road driving!

(Sadly, while I do a lot of that, I also do a lot of urban stop-start driving, the worse enemy of DMFs and DPFs, so couldn't risk it. Also diesels are effectively banned from where I work thanks to KHAAAAAN! and his ULEZ so my affinity for diesels had to come to an end! Thankfully the Mk4 Hybrid drivetrain is awesome and finally at least as good as a diesel!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links