Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wobbly rear brake light (Yaris MK4)

GR Weasel

So been having some rattling at the back of the car everytime I go over a little bump in the road. 

After some investigation it seems to be the rear brake light hitting the rear window. When I took a closer look one of the clips on the right hand side That keep it in place is snapped. And there are 2 screws with washers helping keep it in place. Im not sure how the screws are keeping it in place though there doesent seem to be any threading.

Can anyone take off a cover at the rear brake light and tell me if they have screws in there ? 

My rear dash cam was not working which I bought with the car but it was not working so I had them fix it. and I'm worried they damaged the rear brake light housing when installing or fixing it and done a bodge job to fix it. IMG_20220624_142620.thumb.jpg.d66a9c4c72db2feae3aa0a4db5fecb93.jpgIMG_20220624_141146.thumb.jpg.7df1382e9d30e60b23f55a9df069d3e8.jpg

Is a ****e design it the same as the mk 1 and 2 the screws go into the plastic tabs and spread them out, a slight knock or hard bash, busts those tabs

the solution i come up with for @venomx Was plugs (lock nut) in the roof, cut the tabs flush, washer and screw to hold it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yea read that thread. 

Thanks to Flash I was able to secure it properly and its been fine ever since 

Your car is still under warranty - Make it the dealer's problem!

Wear and tear, they will tell you to pound sand as the yanks say, another member had a similar issue a while back

Will have to check the warranty to see if it's covered; If it is they wouldn't have a leg to stand on with that argument as that's not a wearing part.

You will have to prove you didn't cause the damage, the fix is £5-6, and a 5-min job vs dealer appointment wait for the part and another appointment to get it fitted plus fuel, waiting around and the rest of the aggro

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Your car is still under warranty - Make it the dealer's problem!

Yeah that thread is a good help. I've booked it in though. woman on phone said it's all covered under warranty unless they say otherwise.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flash22 said:

You will have to prove you didn't cause the damage, the fix is £5-6, and a 5-min job vs dealer appointment wait for the part and another appointment to get it fitted plus fuel, waiting around and the rest of the aggro

I'm pretty sure the damage was done when they installed the rear dash cam. Would be a different dealer (Steven eagell) that Installed the dash cam though and Ive booked the repair with inschape. 

• Like 1

Good! I'm glad they've agreed to sort it. It's a new nearly £25k car, you shouldn't have to be dealing with stupid crap like this! Otherwise what's the point?? May as well have gotten a £200 s***box! :laugh: 

They don’t just break.   You say it had a rear dash cam fitted?

He said in the OP it had a rear Dashcam but it didn't work; He asked the first dealer to fix it, and suspects in doing so they broke the housing, which he's now booked to fix under warranty.

2 hours ago, GR Weasel said:

Would be a different dealer (Steven eagell) that Installed the dash cam though and Ive booked the repair with inschape. 

I've had dealings with them(Steven eagell), won't be going back!

I got mine from Steven Eagell in Aylesbury, fantastic service. But I had to relocate the camera as per the instructions they put it bang in the middle of the rear window. Which was just obstructing my view. Moved it to the right of the brake light housing, exactly the same field of view from what I can tell. 

I did pop off the brake light cover and noticed they'd broken the clip and replaced it with a similar plastic push fit screw plug. Toyota made this as cheap as possible and not one easy to replace.  Even with it properly screwed in it's still wobbly. 

29 minutes ago, Campblor said:

I got mine from Steven Eagell in Aylesbury, fantastic service. But I had to relocate the camera as per the instructions they put it bang in the middle of the rear window. Which was just obstructing my view. Moved it to the right of the brake light housing, exactly the same field of view from what I can tell. 

I did pop off the brake light cover and noticed they'd broken the clip and replaced it with a similar plastic push fit screw plug. Toyota made this as cheap as possible and not one easy to replace.  Even with it properly screwed in it's still wobbly. 

It was them that broke it for me.

just took the car to Oxford inschape and they told me that Steven eagell installed it wrong and I last took it to Steven eagell alyesbury to have the rear cam fixed as it wasn't working and I guess they broke the rear light when they were sorting the rear dash cam out 😕

they told me to take it to Steven eagell to get it fixed 😕 confusing as I thought the Toyota service are the ones that install it not the dealersdealers.

don't fancy taking another day off work to get this sorted so will probably use the thread further up to fix it myself.

• Confused 1

Dealers are franchised and its down to the service writer's discretion

On 6/24/2022 at 8:02 PM, flash22 said:

You will have to prove you didn't cause the damage

I would suggest it's the other way round, i.e. up to them to prove otherwise? Innocent until etc.!

meh, from experience that's not how dealerships work, they will screw a customer every which way they can

As above, the op took it to a dealer, told to take it back to the 1st dealer - as I said previously it's less hassle to do it your self, it depends on how you value your time