Do Not Sell My Personal Information

wheel arches

fourbanks

Does anyone know what the grey colour compand mix is in the wheel arches. It looks very ugly to say the least and very badly applied. i've never noticed in my 50 years of driving such a bad design to keep water out by just spraying on some type of compound without any thought of how it may look 

This is the material in question. Whatever it is, it's badly applied 

image.jpeg

Is there anything about your car you like? I'm sure every thread seems to be you whinging about something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

That looks like a tyre!

• Haha 2

Just now, Catlover said:

That looks like a tyre!

I don’t see anything unusual too. 👍 I am not aware manufacturers spray anything under wheel arches, it’s just the plastic covers and some sound proofing eventually, nothing else. 

More than likely road gunk/dirt, if you leave it long enough it builds up in wavy ridges,

• Like 1

Unfortunately the foreground (tyre) is in focus, but the inside of the wheel arch less so.

The dealer says having just got back from them, it's a compound that been sprayed on the back of the tyre well and for some reason unknown not to good on the UK built corollas. My son's yaris the compound is in black and much neater, whereas the corolla is in grey and much more visual. Having had a look at all the Toyota range, the corolla is by far the worse. 

Takes me back to the seventies when I used to have to fill in holes with mastic to cover up the rust 

as Tony says above, it could well be some type of sound proofing, although I can't see that as the road noise is very loud in places and if it were some type of sound proofing that wouldn't be the answer 

when I become a Microsoft MVP back in 2004 it was the fine detail that those at the top at Microsoft were looking for and as an adviser today working for free as that's what I am a master of fine policy detail not the rubbish the governments churn out year after year going nowhere and causing chaos at every turn to millions of the public 

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, fourbanks said:

image.jpeg

This is a slightly better photo. Compared to a Lexus, this is very poor indeed. Typical UK car manufacturing. i just hope it gets to the 3 years and passes the MOT, although i have my doubts. Hopefully The 10-year warranty should come in very useful, that's if you can believe what you read 

1 hour ago, newda898 said:

Is there anything about your car you like? I'm sure every thread seems to be you whinging about something.

There are a few, but at this time it would be stupid having only had the car just over a month to highlight those as they may well fail very shortly and having stated what was good could well turn out bad leaving me looking like an idiot

11 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

image.jpeg

It Probably is supposed to keep out water but there again I don't see that as there are gaps also this compound material that's been applied will defiantly break down at some point and fall off. Whoever signed this off hadn't a clue and like in the building industry today just bung mastic on everything hoping for the best 

17 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

This is a slightly better photo. Compared to a Lexus, this is very poor indeed. Typical UK car manufacturing. i just hope it gets to the 3 years and passes the MOT, although i have my doubts. Hopefully The 10-year warranty should come in very useful, that's if you can believe what you read 

Now I can see it. But that is normal . I don’t think there is anything to be worry about especially mot and 3 years time 😉 Here for comparison my car how looks after 12 years and over 200k miles covered throughout the salty motorways. 

83008EDD-2C31-4B42-8767-75A5F6902EBA.jpeg

EBCF44CC-68A5-4779-9965-EB13F468B758.jpeg

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Now I can see it. But that is normal . I don’t think there is anything to be worry about especially mot and 3 years time 😉 Here for comparison my car how looks after 12 years and over 200k miles covered throughout the salty motorways. 

83008EDD-2C31-4B42-8767-75A5F6902EBA.jpeg

EBCF44CC-68A5-4779-9965-EB13F468B758.jpeg

Yours is much neater, Tony, and thanks for your input as always 

What i don't understand is why buy a £26,000 car based purely on the HUD?

36 minutes ago, dee123456 said:

What i don't understand is why buy a £26,000 car based purely on the HUD?

That's how I drive with everything i need in front of me. If I could have found a car cheaper with a HUD, then I would have taken a look.  My last car was a Mazda and that had one and found in driving it over the past 3 years to be a must and got hooked on it. The Toyota is a much better display, but the Mazda Infotainment is much better, especially with speed alerts of all types and sound from the standard speakers 

if they had a hybrid, I would have purchased it, but at the time they didn't. They have just released a 1.5 hybrid based on the yaris I believe. 

Their electric basic model is excellent at £30'000 but only has a short range of just over 100 miles and with my style of questioning from my research that iv'e conducted found it to be wanting as the Battery in other countries was only doing 50 miles per charge that and Mazda's 3 years warranty wasn't a model for me, and so i'm out 

their new model yet to be released is going to be very good, and I am hearing positive messages about this car and should be cheaper than the Toyota

the new Kia ev6 is the one to watch, the same price as the new BZ4X my neighbour has just got one and is very nice this Kia and a marked improvement on what has gone before 

once you're in the £44'000 bracket thou you're well into Lexus and that of Audi etc costs and for me the Lexus is the winner by far with the ES a fantastic saloon hybrid for the money 

On 6/26/2022 at 11:53 PM, fourbanks said:

They have just released a 1.5 hybrid based on the yaris I believe.

Re-badged Yaris - to help Mazda reach their average fleet emissions target

• Like 1

I don’t see anything like that on my 2019 TS. The wheel arches at the front have a plastic liner and at the rear a mix of plastic and felt/carpet. All looks neat and tidy. What is behind that I don’t care as long as it does it’s job. As a detailing addict I am constantly cleaning the car and dressing the wheels and liners and it looks very well finished to me

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

I don’t see anything like that on my 2019 TS. The wheel arches at the front have a plastic liner and at the rear a mix of plastic and felt/carpet. All looks neat and tidy. What is behind that I don’t care as long as it does it’s job. As a detailing addict I am constantly cleaning the car and dressing the wheels and liners and it looks very well finished to me

it's on all the 22 plate corollas, so you were lucky 

I've got a 22 plate 2.0 T.S and as Paul said wheel arches are almost fully lined with no easily visible mastic. It sounds like a wheel liner is missing on your car. I can't imagine that Toyota would cut corners and leave them off with differing grades of Corolla for such a cheap piece of plastic.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:42 PM, fourbanks said:

image.jpeg

Consider brushing some black wax on the area such as Tetroseal or Waxoyl. Completely agree looks very poor indeed

45 minutes ago, WALLOP said:

I've got a 22 plate 2.0 T.S and as Paul said wheel arches are almost fully lined with no easily visible mastic. It sounds like a wheel liner is missing on your car. I can't imagine that Toyota would cut corners and leave them off with differing grades of Corolla for such a cheap piece of plastic.

I just had a look, too, and on my 22 Corolla Icon in white, i.e. the lowest grade, there is an extra lining to cover the area that is white/grey on your photo. So yes, it seems a liner is missing on your car - very strange. 

Thanks guys for your input. i will go back to the dealer tomorrow. The problem with it is that the wires are clipped back on to this mastic and although not loose they are still exposed to the elements 

I did check at the weekend at the dealers on the GR sport and the ones in stock were the same.