Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris air conditioning

CliffD

Does anyone know if the air con on a 2014 Auris hybrid is computer controlled?

I'd measured the temperature of the air coming out of the cabin vents and unlike a manual system, it varies between around 7°C and 11°C for no apparent reason other than it starts out colder and then warms up, even if I have the temperature set to Low.

I happened to have another of my cars being regassed so they also checked out the Auris and found the refrigerant gas level to be down from what it's supposed to be (470ml I believe) to 340ml (no leaks detected). So they regassed it but the temperature at the vent is still behaving the same way.

I presume what's happening is that the computer is deciding I don't need the air con on full and so it's only dropping it down as much as it decides is necessary.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any knowledge or insight into how it works and if it's possible to set it to be controlled manually (if only to test the lowest temperature it can get to).

Hi, 

yes the air conditioning is part of an automatic climate control. The temperature of the hot or cold air blowing inside the cabin will vary all the time and it will depend of the outside air temperature, hvac settings and even if sunshine or not. There are various sensors on the dashboard that send information to the ac ecu and then rest is automatic. Good practice to change pollen filter once a year or 10k miles instead of manufacturer recommended 2 years or 20k miles. Regas every 2-4 years. Your AC compressor also is running on power from the hybrid Battery. What working hard to cool off the cabin may make a strange buzzing noise, that’s also normal. 

• Like 2

On my Auris Hybrid I too find the AC works colder the warmer it it. If I turn it on at say 20 degrees it doesn't blow as cold as when the weather is hotter.

It does seem to do its own thing. Decides for itself. I now tend to have it on, but fan on 2 bars in manual mode as seems to be more efficient than auto mode. I open all windows for a few minutes and then AC on manual and fan 2-3 bars.

James.👍

• Like 2

Need to plug I to techstrram and live data, check evaporated fin temperature and both solar sensors are working as its these sensors that boost the lower temps when it detects solar uv

• Like 1

Thanks, will get Toyota to check them at the next service. Do you know if it's possible to force it to go as cold as possible, just so I've got an idea of how cold it will go.

Put it on manual (auto off) turn it right down to LO and, you should get air at 5°C at the vents.

Have you got a thermometer?

• Thanks 1

Ah, auto was the issue. Didn't realise. Thermometer coming (had used air con engineer's one). Expect it will drop down now. Thanks!

2 hours ago, CliffD said:

Ah, auto was the issue. Didn't realise. Thermometer coming (had used air con engineer's one). Expect it will drop down now. Thanks!

You can park at direct sunlight, this will also push temperature down and will add to the manual mode. 

10 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

You can park at direct sunlight, this will also push temperature down and will add to the manual mode. 

As I understand it, the sun load sensor only works in auto mode.  Using the system in manual mode switches the sensor off.

3 minutes ago, Stivino said:

As I understand it, the sun load sensor only works in auto mode.  Using the system in manual mode switches the sensor off.

That is not correct.
The sensors always send signals to the ecu which constantly maintain cabin temperature automatically.
The auto mode that can be selected ON or OFF via button is for the air flow position and fan speed only.
While the temperature will change with the ac working and the temperature of the cold air coming from the vents will be adjusted accordingly no matter if the system is set into manual or automatic mode. The same applies for the heating settings. 
That is the reason why I do prefer to keep the hvac settings in manual mode and set desired temperature (22C°) and air flow from where I prefer (summer time air flow set towards feet and middle of the dash, winter time towards windscreen and feet).
 AC always OFF and and when around  20C° outside or over I turn AC ON which at the beginning will blow colder air and will adjust itself with cabin gets cooler., again same is happening with heating only in winter , auto mode no needed at all. Manual mode and not using AC all the time  is best for comfort and efficiency. 👍

• Like 2

^^^

Your post is contrary to the literature on the subject.

1 minute ago, Stivino said:

^^^

Your post is contrary to the literature on the subject.

I am 100% sure that I am correct about my post and I know it from the practice plus theoretical education. Everyone can agree or disagree with my saying which is only a personal experience shared. If you play with your car hvac settings you may find that what I said above is true and not a bs. No argument. 👍

Thermometer arrived so I tested it when not in auto and it goes down to 4.2°C!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. At least now I have a way of telling when to have it regassed.

It's 8 years old and been regassed twice now (second time the other day). Not bad.

• Like 2