Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trying out the Smartguard

Yugguy1970

Stupidly I have caught the rav on the side of my gatepost.

Fortunately it's only caused a small scrape and a thumbnail sized dent.

So I'm trying out Listers Club Smartguard repair.  I'll report back how it goes.

20220625_124817.thumb.jpg.e7b55df04c52a4c68cdb5ba6c3991143.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Been there done that got the tea shirt…..as they say **** happens.

• Like 2

It actually ripped the gatepost out.

Solid cars these RAVs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

It actually ripped the gatepost out.

Solid cars these RAVs.

It’s a big moving mass even at manoeuvring speeds.  I caught the plastic wheel trim on a bollard with my old Subaru XT trying to get into a very tight parking spot. Not a mark on the trim and just pressed back into place, very lucky.

• Like 1

Well they've weaseled out of it.

I knew they would somehow.

Because although the marks are just lines they are longer than 30cm

I will never buy any weaselly insurance like this ever again.

Can you negotiate with them have a discounted repair instead perhaps? The Shine! guy practically repainted a third of the door to remove a 1.5cm scratch so I don't get why they have such small limits...

I have read on various websites (e.g. https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/running/what-is-scratch-and-dent-insurance) that you are supposed (unlikely many/any people do) to inform your main insurer if you claim on your scratch and dent insurance, though it doesn't affect your NCB.

I'm pretty sure if your main insurer is aware of such claims it could well affect your next premium even though it doesn't affect NCB.

I feel your pain, i still haven't sorted mine one out after the bin man decided to rub the bin against the passanger door...

Took it to the dealership and they want £1500 .... Got another 2 quotes from two smart repairers, but should i trust them?

On my Subaru XV I had a trolley scrap across the front edge of the wing and bumper I got a quote for someone to do it on the ‘drive’. In fact his wife picked up the car and returned it at the end of the day. Brilliant job I think it was Chips Away, franchise company but my local guy knew what he was doing.

I think most of these companies are franchises and it depends on what the people doing the work are being paid and as in most walks of life some are better than others.

I have heard Chips Away do a good job but it will also depend on the abilities of the person doing the work.

I hada local franchise repair the rear wing on an Audi after a hit and run, it was good enough to be accepted when it was returned (it was a company car and I left the job), but I wasn't totally happy with it. This compares to the front wing (neighbour reversed into it) repaired by a bodyshop where you couldn't tell it had ever been done. The problem with a franchise is that it totally depends upon the person doing it.

I had a similar issue with smart guard I had a small dent in my car door which you wouldn't show up on a photo so they rejected the claim. In the end I got a local company to remove the dent for £60. I would never use smart guard again it was just a waste of money 

• Like 1

I've used Chips Away a few times in the past, and was really pleased with the results.

• Like 1

My Merc tried to remove a reinforced concrete support in a carpark while I was looking the other way. 

A new wing, painted to match, £650.  My mechanic did ask if I was claiming. 😁

• Haha 1

So I've washed and tested a small part of it with t-cut.  The scratches would tcut and polish out.  The plastic trim just needs plastic reviver.  I can do those.

But I am pushing for them to do the dent, as it is a discrete, seperate area.

If they don't, I will go to the dealers, not that I expect much but just to point out I'm not happy and Toyota are not the only people doing good hybrids now.

• Like 1

They've just replied.

"Unfortunately we cannot consider to only repair the small damage as the damage is consistent, as a result your repair request will remain rejected. "

So that's it.  Never again.  Lesson learnt.  

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

They've just replied.

"Unfortunately we cannot consider to only repair the small damage as the damage is consistent, as a result your repair request will remain rejected. "

If you are minded, I think it's worth sending the pictures and reprocesses to Toyota customer services, they may wish to consider the products their franchises sell under their name. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

They've just replied.

Sad but as you say ‘never again’.

• Like 1

Can you cancel the policy with them or is it too late? I don't know what the terms are with yours; My one allows me to cancel only if no successful claims have been made, with the refund decreasing depending on how long the policy has already run for.

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

They've just replied.

Might be worth replying to them to say you are not happy with their decision and copying in Trading Standards, and the Motor Industries federation, the insurance ombudsman, along with Toyota Customer Care.

I'll try both those things chaps, cheers.

• Like 1

Put in a complaint, let's see how it goes.

• Like 1

I hope it all works out. Please keep us posted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Put in a complaint, let's see how it goes.

Hope it goes well, but I do think it will be a case of ‘travelling in hope rather than expectation’.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links