Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying an iQ CVT 1.0L or 1.33L?

Norsebror

My wife's 2013 1.0L CVT was sadly written off last month when someone decided to drive into the side of her. After years of driving autos, she's determined to get a CVT replacement. I prefer the fuel consumption and free driving of manuals, but it's her car so I concede to her desires and demands.

What do people think of the 1.33L CVT compared to the 1.0L? Whenever I drove my wife's 1.0L, it was always a pleasant experience but didn't quite have the nippiness to get out of tight situations as she realised to her cost in May.

Any thoughts appreciated, but they do seem quite rare compared to the 1.0L which come up quite often.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Norsebror said:

My wife's 2013 1.0L CVT was sadly written off last month when someone decided to drive into the side of her. After years of driving autos, she's determined to get a CVT replacement. I prefer the fuel consumption and free driving of manuals, but it's her car so I concede to her desires and demands.

What do people think of the 1.33L CVT compared to the 1.0L? Whenever I drove my wife's 1.0L, it was always a pleasant experience but didn't quite have the nippiness to get out of tight situations as she realised to her cost in May.

Any thoughts appreciated, but they do seem quite rare compared to the 1.0L which come up quite often.

Thanks in advance

I drove a 1.3 auto (Multidrive) in a Gen 3 Yaris for a coulel of years. It was brilliant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john p williams said:

I drove a 1.3 auto (Multidrive) in a Gen 3 Yaris for a coulel of years. It was brilliant.

Thanks John. Yes it just seems that the 1.33 might just add a bit more grunt to the metal. My wife's not a fast driver, but I always felt the 1.0L was a little underpowered and often struggled on some of the country road hills - even in S mode, in a way I'm sure is better with a manual gearbox. Sort of hoping the 1.33 would be a better option

• Like 1

1.33 are typically higher spec iq2 and iq3 models, prices are all over the place tbh, auto 1L are usually a bit gutless

1.33 is a more refined drive as it's a 4 cylinder so a lot smoother 2012-14 autos are rare

• Like 1

The CVT tends to get quite revvy under load either way so not sure how much of an improvement the 1.33 would be vs the 1.0, and you'd have to make sure to get a later one as possible to lower the risk of getting one with the oil burning problem.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, flash22 said:

1.33 is a more refined drive as it's a 4 cylinder so a lot smoother 2012-14 autos are rare

Agree, the 1.33 does seem more refined having experience of it in a manual

42 minutes ago, Cyker said:

you'd have to make sure to get a later one as possible to lower the risk of getting one with the oil burning problem.

Is that the engine or the gearbox? I know with my wife's 2012 1.0L engine, I was was always topping it up

• Like 1

The earlier 1NR-FEs are known to have increasingly worse oil consumption issues even if driven gently; Later revisions supposedly fixed it. The one in my Mk2 Yaris was using about a litre a month before I got rid of it, and it affects the IQ and Auris with the same engine too.

• Like 1

It should be alright as the IQ is Jap built later cars should be ok, as long as it has been serviced correctly

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We went like-for-like in the end with a late 2014 from Toyota. FSH (Toyota) and only 17k on the clock. Expensive but most of that was taken up with the insurance refund, so happy.

Seems a bit more refined than my wife's 2013 model whilst the front seat upgrades are definitely more comfortable IMO. 

Should see her out (barring another write off) until whatever govt in charge decides what to do with ICE cars by 2030 etc

• Like 2

Sorry, my wife's previous model was 2012 not 2013.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links