Do Not Sell My Personal Information

metallic paint

fourbanks

Unlike most on here, who seem to have bought new and so can choose their colour, I bought second hand and so had the colour chosen for me! There were very few around at the time I needed to change cars and it was the only one with a pan roof.

• Like 1

I upgraded to the TS from a white HB just as the shortages hit manufactures, the local dealer offered the TS is manhattan grey in the trim I wanted, I was unsure on the colour at first but have since warmed to it. With the delays in manufacturing now I'm glad I took the opportunity and got the car I was after.

• Like 1

In the Manhattan grey and pearl white colours the amount of pearlescent is most likely the same as obsidian blue, or red metallics but because these are bright colours it is more difficult to spot them. Best time to loom is at night under street lights. My pearl white car looks like silver. One think that I like in pure white cars is that are easiest to touch up repair. , the metallics are ultra difficult. 

My obsidian blue RAV4, looks different depending on light levels and sun, etc

IMG_20220227_154058125.thumb.jpg.dfcffd787d4a3911909a1ac668608be6.jpg

• Like 2

Obsidian blue metallic has plenty of sparkle to it, it can appear quite dark until the sun hits it then it changes completely. On this pic you can see the different shades it gives.. 

DD78401E-36E5-457E-A209-F575D317B7D2.jpeg

• Like 4

has the OP shown us a photo of the poor paint finish from factory?

• Haha 1

I must admit, I initially thought I had been had with the metallic paint when my Manhattan Grey car turned up. It is there I just needed to look hard for it. I personally love the colour and I think it works well with the black and silver alloys.

Obsidian blue looks fantastic in the sun.

• Like 3

A metallic paint is used to provide what is known as ‘flip flop’ effects where the paint appears bright when viewed straight on but is darker with a shallower viewing angle. The designers of cars use this effect to enhance appearance around things like swage lines etc. For most ‘metallic’ paint this is achieved using aluminium flake pigments and the preference in Europe for many years has been for fine metallic effect i.e. using silver dollar type flakes which give a subtle effect. What some of the posts on here seem to be requesting are ‘metallic’ effects more like a glitter effect which only come with larger particle size flakes. I’m sorry but if you choose a grey colour like Manhattan grey don’t expect it to look any better than a grey primer.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 9:25 PM, Bernard Foy said:

Fully agree Tony, any shade of grey can be a split second less recognizable than the more distinctive colors. However some people like that color and beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder.

I deferred to my wife.  As I said elsewhere, grey appear to be the new silver or black. 

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I deferred to my wife.  As I said elsewhere, grey appear to be the new silver or black. 

I'd actually made a rule that my next car would be a proper colour.

So I bought a dark blue one 😆

22 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Obsidian blue looks fantastic in the sun.

I once had a Fiesta that was a similar colour.  I agree that it looks fantastic when it is clean but it is fantastically hard to keep clean, it shows the dirt much too easily.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I once had a Fiesta that was a similar colour.  I agree that it looks fantastic when it is clean but it is fantastically hard to keep clean, it shows the dirt much too easily.

Oops, not for me then. I like a lot Corolla in black or obsidian blue but the car cleanliness will be an issue. Perhaps will stay with white. silver or the infamous concrete grey 😂 when time for replacement comes up. 

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

Yep, and scratches and stonechips!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Yep, and scratches and stonechips!

For some reason white cars have dark undercoat so the stone chips still show 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:05 PM, fourbanks said:

i like black Bernard and pearlescent white, but as you say you can't beat silver. Tokyo red thou is my favourite by far but is very delicate and chips easily so can't recommend 

I've got silver metallic and you wouldnt believe how easily it chips

Apparently Toyota paint is theior weak point, astonishingly my alloy got a stone chip, couldnt have bene a curb cos you can thit a curb that badly in the centre without any curb rash, go figure

11 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

I've got silver metallic and you wouldnt believe how easily it chips

Apparently Toyota paint is theior weak point, astonishingly my alloy got a stone chip, couldnt have bene a curb cos you can thit a curb that badly in the centre without any curb rash, go figure

Only Lexus Japan know how to paint cars. The other Japanese car manufactures are also very poor, as to why that should be i don't know. It has been like that throughout my driving span of 50 years 

All manufacturers suffer with paint chips, it's not really a paint problem, although water based paints can chip more in certain circumstances, it's the poor state of the roads/ pot hole/ chippings / bodging up that takes it's toll on the bodywork 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm kinda hoping Toyota might do a deal with some company about PPF one day - It's far too expensive for me to think about for a Yaris (if e.g. Yiannimize is anything to go by!), but if it was a dealer option that a discount could be haggled I'd certainly think about it!

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'm kinda hoping Toyota might do a deal with some company about PPF one day - It's far too expensive for me to think about for a Yaris (if e.g. Yiannimize is anything to go by!), but if it was a dealer option that a discount could be haggled I'd certainly think about it!

A dealer option making paint protection prices cheaper than the open market??? That one really made me laugh, I nearly spat my beer out 🤣🤣👍👍

• Haha 1

We live in hope!

But... yeah it's not very likely...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Suzuki Swace in phantom brown metallic. Very like the obsidian blue it has loads of sparkle in the paint, really love it. I think Toyota use this colour in some markets.

As an observation,  my daughter has just bought a new qashqai in a trendy grey and is barely metallic so I think it is a characteristic of that type of paint.

• Like 1