Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

engine cover

fourbanks

On 7/11/2022 at 9:17 PM, TonyHSD said:

No Corolla hybrid ever had an engine cover, the plastic bit on top of the engine, both 1.8 and 2.0 variants comes without the cover. Both had cover mounting points, red circle below the pictures. Because these hybrid engines are used in other models as mentioned above and they do come with covers as standard ( Prius 1.8 and Lexus UX 2.0).
Corolla Excel models has bonnet insulation on both 1.8 and 2.0 and some other trim levels has bonnet insulation on 2.0 variants. 👍

EEBFE9E1-55B2-427B-B3D0-AF30A6FD8D44.jpeg

B6B3A357-6D8D-4B7E-B557-5A561C23E059.jpeg

My 2020 2.0 Excel has no engine cover although does have the under bonnet sound insulation pad.

It is one of if not the quietest car I have ever owned. I am not sure why some people are getting so worked up over this, surely if it were necessary then Toyota would fit an engine cover. as they do not then it cant be necessary.

• Like 4

Engine covers may serve a purpose when a car is relatively new, but on older cars they can become a pain. On my 2009 Auris some ham-fisted mechanic had broken one of the fastenings off, resulting in the cover never fitting properly again, and it resting on the ignition coil wiring. I tried to glue the broken part back on but could never find an adhesive that was strong enough to hold that type of plastic in the heat and vibration of the engine bay. On a Peugeot HDi I owned years ago the engine cover had, despite being intact and apparently fitted correctly, somehow rubbed and chafed the insulation off parts of the injector wiring loom hidden beneath it. On our current Avensis one of the breather hoses had popped off and, unseen under the the engine cover, sprayed everything in the vicinity with oil mist residue. Had there been no cover in the way I would have spotted this within days of it happening and re-attached the hose, rather than weeks/months later when I happened to take the cover off for another reason and saw the problem.

• Like 1

I broke the engine cover on my GT86, and I didn't* stick it back down with blu tack.

I'm sure the new owner will probably discover that at some point 🤣

• Haha 3

I prefer to put more insulation on the door. Exact fit padding not a stupid heavy rubber butyl that does nothing but weight.

What I understand the 2.5 L D4S engines has heavy rubberized cover that quiet down the direct injection noise.  I think it is purely cost cutting for Corolla and CHR and slap the leftover money on something else like LED headlights as standard, safety sense2, etc. 

• Like 2

Engine covers let say might not be necessary in each vehicle and your car will still drive with or without. Surely though they do serve a purpose to cushion the noise from the engine. I also once broke one of the fittings on mine and I had used gorilla glue  , worked great and after two years and many times on and off the cover is still holding strong. In the Corolla case that there are no engine cover and no bonnet insulation I will prefer to have bonnet insulation over engine cover any day, because bonnet insulation will deadening resonance not only from engine but also from any source of noise and vibrations that comes under the bonnet where engine cover will do only from the engine, also bonnet without insulation looks like unfinished product indeed 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Engine covers let say might not be necessary in each vehicle and your car will still drive with or without. Surely though they do serve a purpose to cushion the noise from the engine. I also once broke one of the fittings on mine and I had used gorilla glue  , worked great and after two years and many times on and off the cover is still holding strong. In the Corolla case that there are no engine cover and no bonnet insulation I will prefer to have bonnet insulation over engine cover any day, because bonnet insulation will deadening resonance not only from engine but also from any source of noise and vibrations that comes under the bonnet where engine cover will do only from the engine, also bonnet without insulation looks like unfinished product indeed 👍

Hi Tony, this isn't strictly so. My Corolla 2.0 Excel has under bonnet insulation. I've just checked it again to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, davidif said:

Hi Tony, this isn't strictly so. My Corolla 2.0 Excel has under bonnet insulation. I've just checked it again to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

Some Corolla has bonnet insulation, some does not, but no Corolla has engine covers, both 1.8 and 2.0 in any trim level comes bare engines, no covers. I did attached photos previously to show. It’s not a problem though, back in the days no cars had covers,  insulations , or anything but people drove them and been happy, right 😉👍

• Like 1

Didn't think we could talk that much over engine covers...

• Haha 5

IKR :laugh: 

(For you-know-who-you-are - I Know Right :laugh: )

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I broke the engine cover on my GT86, and I didn't* stick it back down with blu tack.

I'm sure the new owner will probably discover that at some point 🤣

That's on a par with me discovering that my (at the time) newly purchased property had rotten floorboards, and in my annoyance bringing in the 'For Sale' sign and sawing it up to repair them. The current homeowner won't know exactly who did it, but they will have a fair idea which estate agent the person who did it bought the house from..

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Some Corolla has bonnet insulation, some does not, but no Corolla has engine covers, both 1.8 and 2.0 in any trim level comes bare engines, no covers. I did attached photos previously to show. It’s not a problem though, back in the days no cars had covers,  insulations , or anything but people drove them and been happy, right 😉👍

I felt sure that my 2019 Design 1.8 had some sort of an engine cover. My new 2022 one just looks completely different from how the old one looked and it is basically the same mechanically. I don't remember any of those pipes, wires and gubbins being visible on the old one!

The heavy rubber cover in 2.5L really helps. But for my Auris2 cover, i don't feel the difference. 

So my car has no engine cover, no bonnet insulation and Falken tyres. How come my ears aren’t bleeding?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kental said:

So my car has no engine cover, no bonnet insulation and Falken tyres. How come my ears aren’t bleeding?

Because you are just getting on and driving it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kental said:

Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you ... 🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, RabButler said:

Because you are just getting on and driving it!

983 miles in 2 weeks, you may have a point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kental said:

Oh I forgot I’ve only got single glazed side windows too. Stopping being flippant, our Yaris with Cross Climate tyres has slightly less road noise, but it has 16” wheels rather than 17”. Once winter comes the Corolla will have Cross Climates too so a more representative comparison can occur.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kental said:

Oh I forgot I’ve only got single glazed side windows too. Stopping being flippant, our Yaris with Cross Climate tyres has slightly less road noise, but it has 16” wheels rather than 17”. Once winter comes the Corolla will have Cross Climates too so a more representative comparison can occur.

Good drive 👍 

I do that in a week on average 😉

All season tyres seems to be quieter on uk rough asphalt than summer tyres like premacy for example. On smooth roads the summers are the quietest but we don’t have these nice roads here. I will probably by all seasons too if I need to change during the winter if in the spring I might jus get another new summer set. 

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Good drive 👍 

I do that in a week on average 😉

All season tyres seems to be quieter on uk rough asphalt than summer tyres like premacy for example. On smooth roads the summers are the quietest but we don’t have these nice roads here. I will probably by all seasons too if I need to change during the winter if in the spring I might jus get another new summer set. 

All three of our cars run on all seasons (only reason daughter’s car hasn’t got Cross Climates is they don’t do them for her size. However I’m too tight to change the Corolla ones currently as I’ll run the summer tyres until the temperature drops to 6c regularly.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oh fourbanks, STOP IT ALREADY!  People like you spout off ridiculous statements based on zero facts, just to get a rise out of people who are gullible (stupid) enough to believe you!  I challenge you to present FACTS about, as you put it, "in the USA where some new cars burst into flames for no reason other than shoddy workmanship and cut backs".  We'll all wait for your answer.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 6:28 PM, Popama said:

I think it is unfortunate that you are getting disappointed by missing features that were never advertised or even exist : 

Looking at the new Prius engine bay and still no engine cover for the 2L hibrid engine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Popama said:

Looking at the new Prius engine bay and still no engine cover for the 2L hibrid engine.

I'm gonna send Toyota a strongly worded email - where's my engine cover 🤣

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links