Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MPG/DPF??

Johnchester75

Hi. I have a 2011 Avensis D4D 2.0 estate. I commute to work and am getting 41mpg . Is this normal?? Also I've had an intermittent problem since owning the car with smoke from the engine when I stop at junctions etc. Is this anything to do with DPF and is it worth getting it cleaned if it will improve performance?

• Like 1

I think that's within expected norms; If your commute is mostly urban and has lots of stopping and starting than that's probably about right. If it has more faster roads then it's a bit on the low side.

I used to take a longer route home in my Yaris D4D because the faster roads and no stopping allowed it to get much more efficient running, so even tho' the distance was greater the fuel use was similar :laugh: (It was also better for my sanity and probably lungs than sitting in traffic for a similar amount of time!)

Diesels tend to work best at long constant-speed journeys.

The smoke is a bit weird; Is it black? white? bluish?

Normally cars with DPFs emit almost no smoke as all the particles are supposed to get caught by the DPF...

I guess it could be the DPF trying to regen if you're only doing short journeys a lot...?

If that's the case, putting in a tank of V-Power diesel (Or some other additive like the bg244 some past members sing praises about!) and taking it on a long hard run to get the engine and exhaust hot so it can burn off the accumulated soot would be a good idea. Most places that 'clean' them will just do something like this, unless you're taking it to the sort of place that actually removes the DPF form the car to clean it, but that's normally a lot more expensive service...

On 6/27/2022 at 6:18 PM, Cyker said:

I think that's within expected norms; If your commute is mostly urban and has lots of stopping and starting than that's probably about right. If it has more faster roads then it's a bit on the low side.

I used to take a longer route home in my Yaris D4D because the faster roads and no stopping allowed it to get much more efficient running, so even tho' the distance was greater the fuel use was similar :laugh: (It was also better for my sanity and probably lungs than sitting in traffic for a similar amount of time!)

Diesels tend to work best at long constant-speed journeys.

The smoke is a bit weird; Is it black? white? bluish?

Normally cars with DPFs emit almost no smoke as all the particles are supposed to get caught by the DPF...

I guess it could be the DPF trying to regen if you're only doing short journeys a lot...?

If that's the case, putting in a tank of V-Power diesel (Or some other additive like the bg244 some past members sing praises about!) and taking it on a long hard run to get the engine and exhaust hot so it can burn off the accumulated soot would be a good idea. Most places that 'clean' them will just do something like this, unless you're taking it to the sort of place that actually removes the DPF form the car to clean it, but that's normally a lot more expensive service...

What u think boss of those autel scanners that can put dpf in regen threw it is it a good idea because I'm afraid that I myself do short journeys as well tbh car don't do many big miles I don't see any problem with the car yet but thinking maybe twice a year I maybe better connect my autel scanner up and run a dpf regen .was thinking could connect it up when I bring the car back of a longish journey 

I will say I'm no expert as my diesels were all pre-DPF, so it's hard to say tbh, but I never liked those forced regens as all they do is run the engine and squirt more diesel into the exhaust to try and make it catch fire and burn the soot, but if it doesn't light then you end up with a mess of soot and diesel goo which is even harder to light!

IMHO the best way is to just stick a tank of V-Power diesel (Or some sort of additive) and go for a joyride on some fun fast/hilly roads. Or go visit mates/relatives who live far away a bit more than you used to :laugh: 

Just anything to put load on the engine so it has to do a lot of work, which in turn gets it hot enough that the soot in the DPF will just burn off on its own, without needing diesel to be squirted into it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I will say I'm no expert as my diesels were all pre-DPF, so it's hard to say tbh, but I never liked those forced regens as all they do is run the engine and squirt more diesel into the exhaust to try and make it catch fire and burn the soot, but if it doesn't light then you end up with a mess of soot and diesel goo which is even harder to light!

IMHO the best way is to just stick a tank of V-Power diesel (Or some sort of additive) and go for a joyride on some fun fast/hilly roads. Or go visit mates/relatives who live far away a bit more than you used to :laugh: 

Just anything to put load on the engine so it has to do a lot of work, which in turn gets it hot enough that the soot in the DPF will just burn off on its own, without needing diesel to be squirted into it.

Aye must do that then. But I was a kinda guy that hates to over rev diesel engines tbh I rather just cruse around about 1500 rmp maybe up to 2000rpm only when going up the gears but never rev the **** out of the car plus I normall cruse around in 6th gear and drive the car she sometimes right down to 1000rpm and less .

You don't have to rag the nuts off it, but sustaining around 2000-2500 rpm should be enough, although might be different with your engine depending on its rev range.

It's just about getting the engine hot enough; If you were towing a caravan or carting a load of rubble to the dump or something that'd be enough to get the engine good and hot long enough for the soot to get burned off.

• Like 1