Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has anyone got a Carina E T17 speedometer for sale?? :)

1992CarinaE1.6XLI

So...I managed to track down a replacement speedo which looks to be in much better condition than the crusty one from the car (circuit board pictured). Unfortunately, I put it in the car on the weekend, and shock horror, it still doesn't work. So, I'm left scratching my head. Perhaps it wasn't the speedo after all, and the replacement speed sensor I bought was a dud?! The saga continues...

If the symptoms are unchanged and identical with this replacement board then you have to logically look elsewhere.

Without having one in front of me it is impossible to give targeted advice but I would now begin by seeing if any 12 volt supplies needed for the PCB are present. Also make sure any ground returns for the PCB are also intact and not floating.

Have you checked all fuses? I've no idea if there are any instrument panel specific fuses but never overlook basic things.

Thanks, Mooly. I have seen a video where someone connects their speed sensor (still plugged in to the car's loom, but removed from the transmission) to a socket and a drill, to spin the sensor while the car is running. If the sensor is good, in theory, you should be able to register voltage at the block that plugs into the speedo (????). I'm thinking I'll give this a go at the weekend. The replacement sensor was a cheap reproduction from eBay - so maybe it's a dud. 

The voltage from the sensor will be an AC waveform and the results may be hard to interpret unless you know what a known good sensor for the Carina produces. All you can do is try it I suppose.

Does the car have ABS ? Have you tried a paper clip test to see if you have any codes ??

If the sensor is 3 pins, it will generate a PWM square wave

Hi All.

I had a look over the wiring - the sensor's ground was bad. So I ran another ground wire to the sensor - voltage detected at the sensor plug - feeling pretty chuffed with myself - thinking that I've got to the root of the problem. However, unbelievably, the speedo is still not working. I have tried two speed sensors, and two speedometers - and nothing. I have officially given up (and reached the end of my extremely limited know-how). After reflection, given the age and mileage of the car, and an advisory for a rusty rear subframe in the last MOT - I have decided, with much sadness, to move the old girl on. I'll put an advert up on the classifieds forum now. Hopefully someone will have the know-how to fix her niggles, or perhaps someone might need a parts car. Either way - thanks for all your advice. Cheers!!

If the car has ABS, it may use the wheel speed signal for the speedo

No ABS unfortunately 😞

I'm sorry to hear it has not worked out given all the work you've put in. I suppose a reality check is that it is a 30 yr old car and in the scheme of things that's pretty amazing. I doubt many of todays cars will be around in 30 yrs time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links