Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2012 Yaris Terra Idle sound

Kimi450

Hey guys, just purchased a 2012 Yaris Terra (my first car). I was in the car when I heard the engine sound and felt like something was off, not sure though.

Can I get your opinions on it please? Im hoping for nothing (big) to be wrong with it. Is something wrong or am I worrying over nothing? The last service (according to the seller) was 5/6 months ago.

Thanks!

That sounds a little loud to me. What colour's the oil on the dipstick, black? How many miles has it done? How many miles since the last service? Have you the service record?

Sounds normal to me, but as Bob says more info on your car would be helpful.

The oil on the dipstick is golden/black (at the bottom its black but its golden near the min/max sign).

177,000kms (about 110,000 miles)

Last service was done 5/6 months ago according to him. It was NCTd on the 17th of May 2022, and before that it was 24th of Jan 2020. The difference between those two dates in terms of kms travelled was about 26,000 kms. So I would say about 6,000-8,000 kms?

No service record unfortunately.

The "knocking" sound can be heard a lil in the cabin too, but since this is my first car Im not sure if Im supposed to expect that noise or not. 

Its a 2012 Yaris Terra 998c manual petrol btw.

It’s definitely not right.  That engine is normally very reliable but that one is poorly.  Sounds like valve or little end knocking.  Get your money back, it needs a lot of work.  

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, anchorman said:

It’s definitely not right.  That engine is normally very reliable but that one is poorly.  Sounds like valve or little end knocking.  Get your money back, it needs a lot of work.  

I doubt I'll be able to get my money back. That's not good news... What kinda work/money am I looking at?

1 minute ago, Kimi450 said:

I doubt I'll be able to get my money back. That's not good news... What kinda work/money am I looking at?

I can’t tell you how much but the engine will have to be dismantled and you’ll need parts.  

1 minute ago, anchorman said:

I can’t tell you how much but the engine will have to be dismantled and you’ll need parts.  

What're the chances of this just being a goofed spark plug causing a misfire? Is it a misfire?

Just now, Kimi450 said:

What're the chances of this just being a goofed spark plug causing a misfire? Is it a misfire?

No, it’s knocking.  It needs surgery I’m afraid.  I’d need to listen to it to determine if it’s high up (in the head) or low down.   Whoever sold it to you knew all about it if it was like that when you bought it.  

7 minutes ago, anchorman said:

No, it’s knocking.  It needs surgery I’m afraid.  I’d need to listen to it to determine if it’s high up (in the head) or low down.   Whoever sold it to you knew all about it if it was like that when you bought it.  

It was probably like that when it was sold, the dude said it never gave him any issues. He seemed straight up cause he had bought an automatic and wanted to sell this one off. 

I got the car for 4.5k which is cheap for this car so maybe that's why. But the car was dinged up on the outside so I thought it was cause of that. Pray for me @everyone lol. Any other advice for when I go to a garage, pls lemme know!

I will update ye when I go to the garage tomorrow. 

It's a 3 cylinder 1krfe these engines are a bit toppy, may be a bit of cam chain rattle, i would do the oil and filter (it may have the wrong oil in it) and pull the plugs, if the plugs haven't been done there well overdue, and they run lumpy as hell on bad plugs use Denso plugs only, given the mileage i would also change the gearbox fluid as you have no history, a brake fluid flush wouldn't hurt either

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's a 3 cylinder 1krfe these engines are a bit toppy, may be a bit of cam chain rattle, i would do the oil and filter (it may have the wrong oil in it) and pull the plugs, if the plugs haven't been done there well overdue, and they run lumpy as hell on bad plugs use Denso plugs only, given the mileage i would also change the gearbox fluid as you have no history, a brake fluid flush wouldn't hurt either

Hmmm yeah Im hoping its something as simple as the plugs. Good idea on the fluids too, ill also ask them to do that for me tomorrow. I just hope its nothing big cause I dont want to spent 1k+ on this 😞

Hey guys, went to a garage and he said the engine is fine. There seems to be something up with the exhaust but he recommended not doing any replacements or work on it. Seems like I'm in the clear?

Just general maintenance TBH, i would still have a look at the plugs and do a fluid change on the gearbox

• Thanks 1

Ill get that done soon yeah, he recommended waiting a few months when the next full service is due 🙂 Im just happy its not a lemon!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links