Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio lasted 15 minutes

Derek.w

Hi while waiting for a friend I decided to switch on the radio while parked engine off accessory mode on.

Well after 15 minutes car decides to save power and turn off accesory mode Battery voltage down to 12.17 volts.

So after a 10 minutes walk came back with my friend it started up ok so on returning home connected up my solar panel.

4 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Well after 15 minutes car decides to save power and turn off accesory mode battery voltage down to 12.17 volts.

Seems to be a common feature now - our Hyundai does this.

• Like 1

Yeah, it doesn't mean the Battery has drained, just there's a 15-30 minute timer on it to try and avoid draining the 12v. IIRC even my old Fiesta did that! I never use the 'accessory mode' on mine, it's either in ready mode or off!

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, it doesn't mean the battery has drained, just there's a 15-30 minute timer on it to try and avoid draining the 12v. IIRC even my old Fiesta did that! I never use the 'accessory mode' on mine, it's either in ready mode or off!

Same here. Chances are that in ready mode the engine won't come on during a radio listening setting for at least 25 minutes anyway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Well after 15 minutes car decides to save power and turn off accesory mode

Absolutely normal on many cars for many years.

As above its normal, voltage is meaningless without knowing the current

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Hi while waiting for a friend I decided to switch on the radio while parked engine off accessory mode on.

Well after 15 minutes car decides to save power and turn off accesory mode battery voltage down to 12.17 volts.

So after a 10 minutes walk came back with my friend it started up ok so on returning home connected up my solar panel.

Of course, if you had used ‘ready mode’ instead, you would have  continued to put some charge back in the Battery, probably with little use of the ICE starting.

Do that 4 times in the week and you’ll achieve the “1 hour per week” recommended by Toyota, no need for use of the charger.

• Like 2

I've found this out since getting my Yaris Hybrid, & often I have to wait while my Wife is shopping.

Also it doesn't like me leaving the driver's door open when I have anything switched on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Davies said:

Also it doesn't like me leaving the driver's door open when I have anything switched on!

It's also annoying that it beeps loudly if you get out and close the door when the car is on. Fair enough for driver's door, but the others and the boot ... WTF?

(Typically we get home, I get out to open the garage, but leave my door ajar so it doesn't beep, but family get out and close their doors ... beep, beep, beep, beep, beep - three times per door, and then the boot too.)

It's knows which doors are in use because it shows them open on the display, so why does it have to be so stupid?

One day someone will build a car that doesn't have some stupid irritation like this programmed in. (All mine from the last 6 or 7 years have managed some level of 'Oh for god's sake' behaviour, and that's over several different makes.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeSh said:

It's also annoying that it beeps loudly if you get out and close the door when the car is on. 

Not sure about your particular car but the volume level for the door open warning beep can be set to low using Techstream on the Avensis and C-HR if it helps.

My voltage of quoted is after car shuts down so power low but not in sleep mode  the voltage was displayed on the dash.

Personally I dont like the voltage dropping below 12.2volts as sulphation will start.

5 hours ago, alan333 said:

Not sure about your particular car but the volume level for the door open warning beep can be set to low using Techstream on the Avensis and C-HR if it helps.

It's not the door open warning. It's the loud external one when you close a door with the car still on but the key outside - like when you jump out to open the garage door and close the driver's door behind you (because memory muscles).

I've now got in the habit of not fully closing the door, but even then if another door or the boot is closed it does the beeps, which isn't very neighbour friendly.

8 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

It's not the door open warning. It's the loud external one when you close a door with the car still on but the key outside - like when you jump out to open the garage door and close the driver's door behind you (because memory muscles).

That's because people have walked away from there vehicle thinking they have shut it down but have left it powered up in the past - the loud beeping is to remind the driver the vehicle is still powered up in ready mode. 

Manufacturers have to make there products more idiot proof all the time due to the human factor.

My previous 308 T9 with stop / start, if the engine was currently stopped by the system & you unfastened your seatbelt, it would restart to remind you the ignition was on. 

I know of a garage that drained the oil from a older Prius only for the engine to restart during the process as they hadn't shut it down correctly after driving it on to the ramp. 

4 hours ago, Derek.w said:

My voltage of quoted is after car shuts down so power low but not in sleep mode  the voltage was displayed on the dash.

Personally I dont like the voltage dropping below 12.2volts as sulphation will start.

It uses an AGM Battery, as such It's less prone to sulphating as it's sealed, no need to touch it will last 7-10 years, also the voltage you see on the dash is a regulated supply - i don't see why you are hyper focused on batteries, it's a non issue as long as you drive it every few days

5 mins after turning the car off, it can still pull 800 to 1200ma

5 hours ago, forkingabout said:

the loud beeping is to remind the driver the vehicle is still powered up in ready mode. 

I know. I don't have a problem with the principle.

But I very rarely leave the car through a passenger door or the boot. The former is just about possible, but the boot ... ?!?!?

6 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I've now got in the habit of not fully closing the door, but even then if another door or the boot is closed it does the beeps, which isn't very neighbour friendly.

Have a look at the screenshots from Techstream in this thread, maybe "key remind sound" or "open door warning" would solve your problem? (assuming these settings are available in your particular car)

Radio

Well if it daytime I  am going to remount my solar panel in the front window while I am waiting plus 

a other option is turning off the radio display as I have seen this setting somewere in one of the menu options..

Dash voltage was a warning it,s not on display normally.

Battery

I drive every other day & my Battery is a calcium type EFB & I  prefer it to be 80% charged as some days I make 3 stops within 10 miles.