Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gr Sport V Excel 2 Litre

fourbanks

As many of you in this forum know in that my present new car 1.8 GR Sport has not turned out to be that successful with the manufacturing of it. The dealer alongside senior management of the parent company won't me to think about an option in going forward

go for the 2 litre GR Sport or go with the Excel 2 litre as the manufacturing spec and build is different to the 1.8 in what i have at present which is very poor 

what are your views on this please and on the 2 litre do you have full wheel arch plastic shields? Also, what are the benefits of the 2 litres in regards any differences ? 

Where are these 2 cars manufactured and that of the engines plus any other thing you think i should consider 

thanks 

I bought a 9 month old 2.0 GR estate, that's the only model I wanted.

The same goes for my last car, I wanted a GT86, so I bought one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Where are these 2 cars manufactured and that of the engines plus any other thing you think i should consider

UK manufacturers the hatch & touring sports Corolla for the European markets.

1.8 hybrid power unit is also built in the UK.

2 litre hybrid power unit is made in Poland then shipped to the UK for fitment in to Corolla.

• Like 2

The 2.0 Corolla also has double windows for better sound proofing, likely to have better sound deadening insulation behind firewall, it does also have bonnet undercover. For the wheel arches they are like that on all cars. Also these stripes you see are not painted with anything for rust of sound insulation, they are only covered with the car paint . They actually are there to cover the bodywork panels weldings and bondings , then sprayed with the car colour. If you pick darker colour like black or obsidian blue they won’t be noticeable. No Corolla / Auris has full coverage of the front arches in plastic. Here is on my car too. My personal opinion is that the excel spec is the best one, build quality will be the same but with some additional extras that obviously are missing on GR. also you will get better front lights. 

B95FCDED-1724-467B-9286-11AB67869CAD.jpeg

0C18B2AF-FBB2-4B3B-99F1-50AEDB6ED5CB.jpeg

F6DA5300-E9EE-4E66-934E-47D8C6CA2013.jpeg

Remember 2023 Corolla equipment specs for UK market haven't been finalized or announced yet.

After reading all your numerous posts, it sounds like you’re the type of person who will never be happy!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Frankblurry said:

After reading all your numerous posts, it sounds like you’re the type of person who will never be happy!

All my previous cars over the past 50 have been good at delivery, my previous Mazda spot on. I've only embarked with hybrid technology to see if it is good. It is good, but bad manufacturing needs to be called out. Had Mazda had a hybrid, then i would have got that common sense 

now, as you have the Excel Fred, maybe you might share some details as to the wheel arches and the plastic shields that surround the wheels. If you say it's bad, like what i have now, then i can except what i have can't i 

Is that possible? 

IMG20220626183914.jpg

Mazda do have a hybrid on sale in Europe - the 2, which is a rebadged Yaris.

Even the Mazda 3 hybrid - not sold in Europe - used Toyota's hybrid system.

Mazda have plans to move upmarket as their production volumes currently aren't sufficient to support their range of cars. So they may vacate the 2 and 3 market sectors.

I love my 2ltr GR TS. Had no issues with build quality other than a small (2mm) bubble in the steering wheel pleather which was/is annoying and I should of bought it up at the dealer at point of sale. Lesson learnt. Definately missing out on some of the extras in the Excel - pan roof, Bi-LED headlights and heated steering make it almost worth the move. But even with all that, I couldn't give up the HUD.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fourbanks said:

As many of you in this forum know in that my present new car 1.8 GR Sport has not turned out to be that successful with the manufacturing of it. The dealer alongside senior management of the parent company won't me to think about an option in going forward

go for the 2 litre GR Sport or go with the Excel 2 litre as the manufacturing spec and build is different to the 1.8 in what i have at present which is very poor 

what are your views on this please and on the 2 litre do you have full wheel arch plastic shields? Also, what are the benefits of the 2 litres in regards any differences ? 

thanks 

To be honest, I think any other Corolla will be built to the same standard. Yes, an Excel will have a different windscreen etc., but it is essentially (only) a different equipment level. So changing the model or the brand is probably your best option for peace of mind. Although I fully understand that this is not straightforward and does involve an extra cost. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

To be honest, I think any other Corolla will be built to the same standard. Yes, an Excel will have a different windscreen etc., but it is essentially (only) a different equipment level. So changing the model or the brand is probably your best option for peace of mind. Although I fully understand that this is not straightforward and does involve an extra cost. 

Thanks marc. The most annoying thing is from Toyota head office and the dealers and the parent company admitting that they have no access to what the specification is for the bodywork, only as outlined to the public when you purchase the car and know. The bodywork however no one knows of what that spec should be and i'm told in my case that future Toyota's might not have any plastic shields in the wheel well at all 

5 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Thanks marc. The most annoying thing is from Toyota head office and the dealers and the parent company admitting that they have no access to what the specification is for the bodywork, only as outlined to the public when you purchase the car and know. The bodywork however no one knows of what that spec should be and i'm told in my case that future Toyota's might not have any plastic shields in the wheel well at all 

Many of those people who works at Toyota head office or at any dealers knows nothing about cars, how they are built, how they work, how they needs to be maintained etc. even those who build them often knows nothing too, they just follow instructions and that’s all. When something goes wrong and you ask a question you may find more helpful and true information from car enthusiasts here or any other place other than from Toyota people themselves. They only represent the brand in one way or the other and often will save the true because of a legal purpose or simply because have no idea what they had been asked or does not have a straight answer. This is a good reason at least to me to not bother and move on. One person won’t change a multi billion business operating worldwide. I like that you complain about these issues and I am positive that Toyota people also read this forum thoroughly. , so let say Hi 👋 to them 👌

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder if you were just unlucky and got a lemon?  We've had both the Yaris and Rav for almost a year now and no issues.  Rav especially better screwed together than the new Fords we had previously, trim fitted properly.  And both the Focus and the Fiesta needed rear shocks replacing within the first 12 months.

What really surprised me about the Focus was still Ford just use glue for the door seal rubber.  6 months in I'm having to reattach with double-sided tape.  Not what you expect on a brand new car.

54 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Nick, maybe an authorised Toyota body shop can help? They should know, they repair the cars 🤔

45 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Many of those people who works at Toyota head office or at any dealers knows nothing about cars, how they are built, how they work, how they needs to be maintained etc. even those who build them often knows nothing too, they just follow instructions and that’s all. When something goes wrong and you ask a question you may find more helpful and true information from car enthusiasts here or any other place other than from Toyota people themselves. They only represent the brand in one way or the other and often will save the true because of a legal purpose or simply because have no idea what they had been asked or does not have a straight answer. This is a good reason at least to me to not bother and move on. One person won’t change a multi billion business operating worldwide. I like that you complain about these issues and I am positive that Toyota people also read this forum thoroughly. , so let say Hi 👋 to them 👌

Thanks, Tony. I'm afraid you're right, it's the lack of knowledge about the build of a car that i'm finding difficult to understand and why the spec is different on the underside on the 1.8 GR sport only 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I wonder if you were just unlucky and got a lemon?  We've had both the Yaris and Rav for almost a year now and no issues.  Rav especially better screwed together than the new Fords we had previously, trim fitted properly.  And both the Focus and the Fiesta needed rear shocks replacing within the first 12 months.

What really surprised me about the Focus was still Ford just use glue for the door seal rubber.  6 months in I'm having to reattach with double-sided tape.  Not what you expect on a brand new car.

I had the same issue on my Mercedes Citan (a re-badged and re-engineered Renault Kangoo). I had the door seals replaced twice under warranty (the double-sided tape did not like heat, i.e. the sun) and then gave up and bought some double-sided tape for automotive use - that fixed it 😒

• Like 2