Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold Air intake on T Sport

corradovr6

Has anyone done this on a Mk1 T sport? 

Not with one of those cone filters purporting to be a CAI but with something like the BMC.  I have one on the Corrado and it does seem to breathe a bit more easily.  It also sounds a bit deeper without being loud.  The issue here is the MAF sensor is moulded into the air intake feed so any new CAI would need a boss welded on.

Welcome any comments

K&N do a true cold air but very expensive to buy new, I have a Blitz on mine mounted straight to the throttlebody

Sounds good. Would you mind posting up some pics? How did you install the maf sensor with the blitz?

Thanks

20 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Sounds good. Would you mind posting up some pics? How did you install the maf sensor with the blitz?

Thanks

The Blitz is a kit designed specifically for the engine so it has a port where the MAF sensor screws in to.
Couple other manufacturers out there too that do the same trick, if you feel really crafty you could grab a spare airbox cut the maf section out and make your own intake on the cheap.

Yes that's what i was planning on doing!

Why would you bother? At 30MPH, or anything above, there would be so much cool air washing around the engine compartment I doubt if it would make a gnat's ***** of difference.

Please let me know of any data you have to disagree?

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

Why would you bother?

Psychology and the money spent keeps some businesses going ... ? *

Personally, if you want a noticeable increase in performance, from the same engine, the only solution is pressure charging. That will give actual and measurable increases in torque and power.

Most of the other fixes either fiddle the throttle actuation so it feels different or add a % or 2, which is frankly not noticeable unless you dyno it before and after - and even then maybe not.

( * AKA Snake Oil)

11 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Why would you bother? At 30MPH, or anything above, there would be so much cool air washing around the engine compartment I doubt if it would make a gnat's ***** of difference.

Please let me know of any data you have to disagree?

Well the idea is the engine will be producing vast amounts of heat when it's really being driven hard; The cold air intake helps get cooler air that isn't being heated by the engine.

It won't make a huge amount of difference during normal use, but if you're tracking the car it does help blunt the performance drop from heatsoak.

There's a lot of confusion in the market as I see a lot of things being sold as cold air intakes but they're really induction or short or ram intakes.

Proper ones either take air from low down the car (Making them extremely vulnerable to stones and hydrolocking from puddles), but at least it should have a head shield and take air from somewhere away from the path of the radiator.

The advantage of the bmc is it is shielded, so exactly as you say Cyker the others just pick up warm air which actually reduces power

But i agree, on the yaris it may only make a slight difference

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Problem is heat soak, you will actually lose power from a stand still. Performance panel filter might be better for a mix of "better airflow" and keeping heat soak to a minimum.

Other option is a cone induction kit plus a cold air feed from the front of the car, again this will mostly help when moving compared to a standstill. If the feed is placed at the lower front (like on mine which feeds into the airbox to a K&N panel), keep in mind of water/puddles that could potentially get sucked in.

• Like 1