Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bird poo

Frankblurry

Needing some help. I’ve had my new Corolla ts for about 3 weeks now and love it, but the pigeons that sit in our trees at night have been causing mayhem on the car. Does anyone have any experience with methods of keeping pigeons away? I’m losing my mind clean !Removed! off my car every day! Unfortunately we can’t park anywhere else and the tree is enormous so not an option to remove any of it. Any ideas? Thanks! 

• Sad 1

Did you have the same problem with your old car? Maybe it didn't worry you so much with the old car? 

If the new car is attracting more !Removed! than the old car, is it a different colour? It seems to be the case round where I live that seagulls seek out white cars but I'm not sure pigeons care!

Short of illegal methods involving shotguns or catapults I can only suggest that you always keep the car well polished (or use another form of paint sealer) so that the damage can be washed away without permanent damage to the paintwork.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol, that’s not funny at all, although sounds like a bit. If you don’t drive regularly car cover may help. Amazon, Eurocarparts also sell good ones. The advice for polish the paintwork is  valuable. Once I had to re spray the whole bonnet on a car that has been bombarded by a seagulls, bad birds. They didn’t touch my white car though on a recent visit to a seaside resort. , I was lucky. You can buy or make something to scare the birds, attach to the tree branches, something that makes noise and looks like a human or cat , something to make them scared and show them they are not welcome on that tree . But perhaps the best is if you can avoid parking under any trees as these cause also other issues. Tree debris are horrible to cars , they block important gutters behind wipers and rear stop lights and then water enters into the car . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good advice about tree debris. The treacly sap trees drop at some times of the year is far harder to remove than anything deposited by birds!

• Thanks 2

Air rifle 😂 seriously you could try covering the car I know it’s a hassle but would stop damaging the paintwork. Have just had another thought you could try one of those model hawks that you can buy I have seen them on boats in marinas seems to stop the seagulls. You could try mounting the hawk in the tree if possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can buy a small Battery powered device that emits a signal which the birds detect and keeps them away. You would need to fit it on the tree.

My neighbour has one on his roof to keep the seagulls away and it works well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My neighbor over the road has a similar problem with the pigeons and gulls.

Although somewhat less now the sweet old lady next door has stopped chucking bread on the roof of the garage.

I have suggested a real hawk to put them off, and it would be good company when not on duty.🦅

The suggestions already made are better than mine, ceramic coating maybe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great suggestions thanks folks! I think I’ll try a fake hawk and some reflective tape and see if that does the job. Now I just need to figure out getting that stuff up there! Tree debris is annoying but I stay on top of cleaning so never causes an issue. The daily bird poo cleaning is just frustrating though as it’s so difficult to get off. But soaking toilet paper and leaving it on seems to work best if I don’t want to do a full pressure wash. I’ll let you know how I get on with the buggers. I don’t know what they’ve been eating but they’re certainly well fed by the looks of what’s left on my car 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoff W said:

Did you have the same problem with your old car? Maybe it didn't worry you so much with the old car? 

If the new car is attracting more !Removed! than the old car, is it a different colour? It seems to be the case round where I live that seagulls seek out white cars but I'm not sure pigeons care!

Short of illegal methods involving shotguns or catapults I can only suggest that you always keep the car well polished (or use another form of paint sealer) so that the damage can be washed away without permanent damage to the paintwork.

Yep same problem with my old car, but being 15 years old and rusty, I wasn’t that bothered about it. Giving the car a full ceramic treatment in a few weeks and going to try some deterrents as well. Thanks!

If you have roosting birds but can't position wires or plastic spikes in the tree to move them on, a plastic owl may help, but the only other option is to use one of the ceramic coatings on your paintwork.

I've just checked and apparently bright red cars (allegedly) attract the most bird droppings, damn my scarlet flame TS!  

We have a large variety of birds where I live, each species with clearly defined straffing patterns!  The sparrows and goldfinches leave a nice speckled pattern but easy to remove, the pigeons/doves/gulls seem to leave large deposits of avian concrete, but the worst is the duck and geese squadrons that spray the car green when flying overhead in arrowhead formation🤕  Anyone got a set of bofors guns they can lend me🙃

3 hours ago, Geoff W said:

Good advice about tree debris. The treacly sap trees drop at some times of the year is far harder to remove than anything deposited by birds!

I use my wife's nail varnish remover and cotton pads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

Air rifle 😂

Laser.  I think green may be better than red. 

You may find that one of your neighbours is feeding the pigeons on a regular basis Frank, and that's why they are sticking to that spot.

If the feeding stops they will soon go elsewhere to roost.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I use my wife's nail varnish remover and cotton pads. 

You have to be very careful with that stuff as it will eat the clearcoat!

I find hot soapy water works a treat to soften and lift sap.

Definitely ceramic coat the car or wax it regularly - The dealer supagard on mine, although now having lost its hydrophobic properties completely before even a year, still allows me to remove bird poo a lot easier than bare clearcoat.

I'm in the market for a better coating tho'...

• Like 1

You can buy a spray on foaming remover, leave for a minute and rinse off.

Another  option is to put up an awning if there’s space.

29 minutes ago, Dylanfan said:

You can buy a spray on foaming remover, leave for a minute and rinse off.

Another  option is to put up an awning if there’s space.

Or a tent.  Our Club bought a number of frame tents from Costco but you can see different suppliers around.  Reasonably heavy duty, thick poles, reinforced plastic sheeting.  You do need to tether them firmly. 

Have seen them in the Caribbean essentially as sun shades. 

When we got our first Toyota over 2 years ago out dealer gave us a care pack.  The only bit used regularly is the screen clean spray and 2 years on I still have some remaining. 

I have used hardly any bug and sht remover as bugs seem to be dying out and in a garage less bird poo. 

However it is particularly effective against flying dumpsters when I visit my daughter on the South Coast. 

Don't know the cost thoughm

You really have to remove bird poo as quickly as possible before it ruins the clear coat. I keep autoglym bird dropping wipes in the boot (they are great) and use a quick detailer spray and soft micro fibre at home. 

• Like 3