Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SUV to Corolla TS

Tiguan69

My past few cars have been SUVs (previous RAV 4, Honda CR-V and now VW Tiguan) 

I am really interested in the Corolla TS due to hybrid MPG and boot size but have reservations around the lower ride of the TS. New RAV4 is currently out of price range ☹️

anyone else gone from SUV to TS and any reservations?

Corolla Cross isn't far away now.

Any idea on price point compared to TS and RAV. Also have boot dimensions been published - sense it may be more a Juke / C-HR size mini SUV?

See:

There is a Corolla Trek , probably one of the best trims and of course it’s.a TS that seats slightly higher than all others and had plastic trims around bumpers and wheel arches. I have seen few in person and they are really good cars, imo better than any suv like cross variants. 

I went from a Peugeot 3008 to Corolla HB and i'm loving the lower ride. The only bad point for me is the storage space inside as there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put anything. The door pockets are rather small and there's not really any storage near the gear shift.

The reason i chose the HB over the TS was because i didn't really need the extra boot space. Most of the time there's only myself and my daughter. My daughter is also learning to drive and i take her out in the car inbetween her driving lessons and i thought a HB would be easier for her.

I find it a very smooth ride and the seats are extremely comfortable, which is a huge plus in comparision to the 3008.

• Like 1

Always feel safer in an SUV, we used to feel very vulnerable in our MX5, especially on the motorway.

The bigger the better if you can afford it 👍

17 hours ago, dee123456 said:

I find it a very smooth ride and the seats are extremely comfortable, which is a huge plus in comparision to the 3008.

I went from 308 T9 hatchback to a C-HR.

The seats on the C-HR are far more comfortable, supportive & have really helped with my back pain, plus the ride is much better. 

• Like 1

I went from a Vauxhall estate, which I bought for the boot space, to the C-HR and absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

I have had a lot of different sizes and shapes of car and the common theme is that I quickly get used to the pros and cons of the driving position. The Corolla is not low enough to make you feel small on the road, it’s not a tiny sports car. If anything I’d say it’s the right size for UK roads.

• Like 3

Lower cars generally drive better with lower centre of gravity. Ride comfort better too, as extra stiffness needed with SUVs to maintain body control. 

fuel economy - also much better in lower down cars. 

the interior space in the Corolla isn’t as good as the RAV4, with the higher roof line & boxy shape. The Corolla TS is a great drive, and rides well with better stability at motorway speeds than the hatch. 

• Like 2

:naughty:

:laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Lower cars generally drive better with lower centre of gravity. Ride comfort better too, as extra stiffness needed with SUVs to maintain body control. 

fuel economy - also much better in lower down cars. 

the interior space in the Corolla isn’t as good as the RAV4, with the higher roof line & boxy shape. The Corolla TS is a great drive, and rides well with better stability at motorway speeds than the hatch. 

Corolla trek is the perfect medium between Corolla TS and RAV4. Better than Corolla cross. Bigger boot , longer wheel base and lower roof line. This is perhaps the best Corolla 

My last 3 cars have been "cross overs", but still had a more commanding driving position than a normal car.

I thought I'd hate being so low, but quite the opposite. That being said though, I am now in a touring sport which, whilst being lower, is actually larger in length then my previous cars, so could be why I feel safer in it.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, Tiguan69 said:

have reservations around the lower ride of the TS. New RAV4 is currently out of price range ☹️

What are your concerns about a 'normal' car? Do you live in the countryside and need off road ability?

Any car you buy will always be a compromise on something. You just need to decide what your priorities are.

As others have mentioned, the Corolla Trek might be a good option. It is a bit of a halfway between a normal estate car and a crossover. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, APS said:

As others have mentioned, the Corolla Trek might be a good option. It is a bit of a halfway between a normal estate car and a crossover. 

... which is funny when you consider that a Crossover is supposed to be between a normal car and an SUV, which is supposed to be between a normal car and a proper 4x4 :laugh: 

Trek is just a lifted up standard car in this case estate. Ford has even fiestas like that and they including the focus look good and the height gain ( only an inch)  is very useful in certain situations. 
I would prefer to have one of these over suv types like cross ones. 👍

7A78D741-4E0F-4A2E-8E99-34A8C1089645.jpeg

I would love to have my car lifted an inch - It would make it more like a Mk1/Mk2 in that I could get in the car easier instead of more or less falling into it :laugh: 

Would also help my paranoia when going over some of the particularly excessive speed cushions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Parked next to each other one the drive, I’m sure the Yaris is taller than the Corolla hatch. Cyker remember yours having sports suspension as standard may make it slightly lower than a Design spec.

Wait, people feel safe on a SUV? 🤨 There actually LESS safe than a HB or a TS in my mind... I like the looks of them but would not get one ever. Ground clearance is a tiny bit more, boot space is kinda the same if you compare it with the TS version (Volvo XC60/V60 for example), the mpg is worse on them, higher cg, more expensive, boot is too high so you have to lift heavy things you may want to put in the boot higher, sometimes even bigger and more expensive wheels... and can't see the sport on the S, the U for utility gets blurred as a TS (or any estate) gets the same or more utility and V... well, it's a vehicle, so I'll give them the V 🤣.

Some of them look nice though.

• Like 1

How are they less safe?  

3 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

How are they less safe?  

Higher centre of gravity so less stable for one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yugguy1970 said:

How are they less safe?  

Take these two videos as at example. Is the CUPRA Formentor vs Leon which is basically the same car but in SUV/HB config.

And I chose the Formentor, which is a pretty good SUV IMO. Obviously you won't have problems just because it's a SUV, but if you boil everything down, it is what it is. I love how the Formentor looks, but I'd go for the Leon ST instead. Almost did if they wouldn't have said "18 months of wait"...

Or to do a Corolla TS/RAV4 comparison though I do not know if they share anything: