Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

clunking noise on 2021 Rav4 Hybrid when wheel is turned all the way (as in driving in a tight circle)

scb

We took it back to the dealer for service and they advised that it is ball bearings hitting together and this is normal. has anyone else experienced this?  

I haven't heard this, but will try it and see Sharon.

tbh ball bearings hitting together doesn't sound right 🤔

• Like 2

Sounds like a bad CV joint 

• Like 1

I regularly have to use full, both directions, locks on the car and have not heard noises. I know the sound and I’ve experienced it on other cars. Sounds like a trip to the dealer.

• Like 2

Not on this Rav, but on other cars I've had an initial clunk noise if car parked on full lock on the drive, but only in first setting off. It was never reproduced once under way. Brief Internet research at the time suggested it was unhealthy to leave the steering column/rack on full lock when stationary, but I can't recall exactly why. 

Your initial phrasing suggests that this knocking is recurrent/noticed in regular driving on tight turns, so perhaps not but could this apply to what you're noticing? 

• Like 2

Dealers/ mechanics sometimes really has nothing else  to say and talk bs hoping customer does not understand them. 🤔

Clunking noises can occur in any car while on full lock and making a turn. The reasons for that can be various and can be normal or indication of a mechanical problem.
When steering wheel is fully locked mechanical forces cause stress to the metal parts like steering rack, steering column gear, cv joints, splines, bearings along with suspension components specifically shocks, springs, top mounts + bearings, ball joints and tie road ends, everything that moves while steering is turned.
If any of those components above has its lubricant dried out, not properly applied in factory, or there is a slight play as a result of wearing out a cluck can happen. Sometimes the clunk will go away by itself but sometimes may require attention, tracking it and eventually applying some lube to fix the problem. 
Toyota cars are also well known for these clunks, clicks and rattling that comes from the steering column. , not an issue but just annoying. 👍

• Like 3

On a 1 year old car I would be suspicious of this, especially if other owners don’t report it. 
To narrow down the diagnosis: it happens turning in either direction or just one? Moving forward and or reversing? Car cold (off the driveway) or warm (parking after a 30min drive)?

Judder on full lock is a known issue on my other car, it’s the wide tyres skipping as they roll (called reverse Ackerman effect). Reduced when I changed tyres from old hard ones to new softer ones. Not known on my old RAV though. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links