Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Arch stone chip

Bper

Hi All,

The wing arch clear film stone chip protector looks dirty however much I try to clean this. Do owners remove this after a time, it also looks out of place with the rest of the car.

Cheers

On 7/1/2022 at 2:06 PM, Bper said:

The wing arch clear film stone chip protector looks dirty however much I try to clean this. Do owners remove this after a time, it also looks out of place with the rest of the car.

Presumably this is on the rear wheel arch? 

I've had similar stone chip protection on 15 new cars since at least 1998 from a variety of makes  including Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota.

Yes you can remove it but may get chipping and then rust.

Better to replace it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I removed the dirty plastic film on the rear wheel arches a couple of weeks ago. Car looks far better now.

However I will monitor if any stone chips appear. Can always refit in the future.

• Like 1

You can buy clear car vinyl , cut to measure and stick for protection. With the amount of road works these days and the widely used practices to cut upper  surfaces and leave the roads without new top surface the amount of stone chips will be double.

Yes thanks Tony.

But it amazes me why they put these on in the first place. There are loads of different cars that have a similar shape to the Auris and I do not see stone chip protection on them.

Now I am not complaining that it's on there as I am sure it has been well thought out.

However, it is really prone to dirt and does not look good when the dirt gets behind the edges. I tried ages to clean these but took them off in the end.

I have not seen these on any other Toyota models so was it just on the Auris

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Yes thanks Tony.

But it amazes me why they put these on in the first place. There are loads of different cars that have a similar shape to the Auris and I do not see stone chip protection on them.

Now I am not complaining that it's on there as I am sure it has been well thought out.

However, it is really prone to dirt and does not look good when the dirt gets behind the edges. I tried ages to clean these but took them off in the end.

I have not seen these on any other Toyota models so was it just on the Auris? 

Hi Bob, 

I am not sure how other Toyota models are made but I know on other make and models that I had been trading with previously and I had many of those some were repaired and had have no vinyl stickers and the whole area was covered in tiny white dots from the stones that has battled the car. Perhaps more pronounced on darker colours cars, white silver or grey might not be as visible. 👍

• Haha 1

Hi Tony,

Interesting I will see what happens in the next few weeks, my car is pure white so they may not show as much as other colours.

Still wonder why they do not have these on other makes.

Thanks for the reply